Death of another motorcyclist killed at alcohol checkpoint - he slammed into back of truck that had slowed

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on the death of another motorcyclist on the Udon Thani to Sakon Nakhon Road last night.

In the undergrowth being pointed at by a cop was a Kawasaki Ninja bike.

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A picture showed a helmet lying in the road next to a bit of pixellated body part.

Nearby was the corpse of the rider who had no ID.

Aphinet, 29, the driver of an 18 wheel truck trailer said that he was going from Mukhdahan to a sugar refinery and had slowed because of a police alcohol checkpoint 100 meters down the road.

The road narrowed to one lane with cones in place. 

He heard a loud bang and got out to investigate discovering the grisly scene.

Police surmised that the motorcyclist had been going fast and had been unable to brake in time and had slammed into the back of the trailer. 

The body is being kept at Soon Udon Thani hospital as police attempt to contact relatives. 

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-05

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

At least racing like mad if body parts scattered on the road.

And how could he go slow on a "Ninja", 0 to death in a few seconds :dry:

Sad but only one in 50 who died on a motorbike yesterday.

They have Chinese new year celebrations near me in a large field , when it closes at midnight , there's constant stream of teenagers , often two, three ,four to a small moped , speeding off recklessly , going full throttle swerving all over the road .............and theres also a constant stream of ambulances  going back and forth with their sirens going and lights flashing .

I wont even walk along the pavement for fear of getting hit by an out of control speeding moped 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I wont even walk along the pavement for fear of getting hit by an out of control speeding moped 

I was standing outside my house, by the road looking for one of my dogs, when I came within centimetres of being hit by one of two racing pickups which came up behind me. He was so far over onto the wrong side of the road that he was on the so-called motorcycle lane, and I felt the heat of the engine as it raced by.

That was about 18 months ago, and I have only gone out at night twice since then, for a Christmas Eve meal. The place is just too dangerous.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

I have seen so many motorcycle riders who have their helmets hanging on the handlebars

and it never surprises me when I see a picture like the one above.  People have bad habits

and they do not seem to get any smarter as time goes by.  Just another day in Thailand with

so many motorcycle accidents, it seems that they actually try to keep the stats up to make

Thailand have the reputation that it has.

Sod them,if not killing themselves would be killing others

• Like 2

20 hours ago, vandeventer said:

My question is, he has a nice helmet but did he fasten the chin strap? A friend of mine died this way,  he never fasten the chin strap. And from the picture above neither did he.

I once got hit by a Thai cop's helmet, I was riding a mc some distance behind the cop when his unfastened helmet flew off and bounced along the road and hit my mc. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mancub said:

These police checkpoints are often poorly executed and seem to cause more accidents than prevent them. 

These speeding motorcyclists are often poorly trained and seem to kill themselves more than other motorists.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vandeventer said:
17 minutes ago, marcusb said:

The helmet was lying beside a body part. Strap or no strap the rider was dead.   

Some people just don't get it. If his helmet stayed on his head he might still be alive today.

Judging by the bent I-beam bumper rails on that trailer, I doubt it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

These speeding motorcyclists are often poorly trained and seem to kill themselves more than other motorists.

If only there was such a thing as training in the concept of common sense. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mancub said:

These police checkpoints are often poorly executed and seem to cause more accidents than prevent them. 

Unfortunately many BIG Bike riders do ride at excessive speed and weave over several lanes. Let the blame lay where it deserves to be.

13 minutes ago, kennw said:

Unfortunately many BIG Bike riders do ride at excessive speed and weave over several lanes. Let the blame lay where it deserves to be.

The dead lad in question, the Ninja looks to be one of those little 250 models.

I would not label that as a "big Bike".