Four year old child savaged by pack of FIVE neighbor's dogs - calls to have them taken away

webfact

2 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

The dogs are lucky it was not me who intervened. They would have been already dead or at least needing to be put down.

And you would be in jail. Good for you. Cruelty to a dog carries jail time in Thailand.

• Haha 1

Too many generalizations in the article….

fault lies with the Moo baan developers and neighbors for not enforcing their dog regulations - leash and vaccine rules?

the word pack is probably sensationalized to draw in readers… I have 3 dogs - if they walk together are they a pack?

the owner if she is the true owner, then they are not controlling her dogs. she needs to have them under control at all times but it seems everyone has this “mai bpen rai” attitude even with some behavioral history of these particular dogs…

my guess knowing quite a lot about dogs is that 1-2 of these dogs are aggressive/threat dogs to children/fragile people and should have been identified long ago as problem dogs by authorities and then been removed for the safety of the Moo baan…

But this is thailand where people/ culture are not held accountable so unmanaged behavior persists in all facets of life here….it’s not just dog owner management 

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Dog’s owner says dogs are good dogs . But they have bitten in the past.

I detest when owners don't take responsibility for their dogs.

I have 7 dogs.  Two I'd never trust around children (inside our fence).  In the few times they have been let out, usually by some idiot Thais who don't understand the purpose of a fence and gates, those two don't care about anyone.  But - I still don't trust them.  We have a multi-fenced yard so now before anyone comes to work the dogs are locked up.
The other 5 dogs haven't ever showed any sign of aggression toward kids or adults - but?  You never know.  There is only one of our dogs I trust explicit as he's older and been around a number of children.  Do you ever know for sure?  Hurt even that dog and you may get bit. 

Fences and gates and locks and monitoring.  You take responsibly for your animals. 
"My dog good dog." 
Yeah, but you need to compensate the neighbors with enough money so you're financially hurt and then you need to do something with the dogs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WingFat said:

Whether it was in BKK, Phuket, during the daytime hours they would lay around on the sidewalk appearing almost dead; very docile and aloof to passerbys  who had to either step over them or go around them as they lay on the sidewalk.

Sidewalk? How about in the middle of the soi?

10 hours ago, MSMU1993 said:

There are many Thais that have dogs and take good care of them, and keep them under control.  But there are a lot that don't.  If I could be PM for a day - i would buy and equip 100 pickups as mini surgeries and higher 100 vets and handlers.  There only job would be to role around the country sterilizing every stray (or left loose) dog they come across.  If they wont take care of them, at least don't allow them to procreate. 

There is a local vet in our Tambon who helps the wats by sterilizing the Wat dogs for free.  As Wat's are dumping grounds for pets he's always has business.  Good guy. With that said, the administrators at the Tambon level should try to sterilize the dogs in their regions.  I do give them a 'thumbs up' :thumbsup: for offering free rabies shot for all dogs in the villages annually.  That's just good public health practices.

As soon as I see loose dogs in the street threatening me, I pick up a rock or several.

If they advance towards me, I cock back my arm with the rock in it.

Usually that's enough.

But sometimes, I do have to throw the rock.  I try to throw as hard as possible to inflict the maximum pain.

Usually one throw is enough. ????

• Like 1

A dog in my fiancé's village killed one of her cats. It had previously attacked and badly injured a goat and threatened people, yet it was still allowed to roam free by its 'owner'. It hasn't been seen roaming the village since the cat was killed, I believe the village headman had a 'quiet' word with the owner. This Thai attitude of 'it's not the owners fault' ghasts my flabber, those kind of dogs are an incident waiting to happen they could just as easily attack a child or a baby.

Where my Thai family lives there are no dogs. In the past someone had a dog that bit one of the children,

and the dog was dead the next day. The owner was upset, but was told what had happened, and he

then agreed that the dog met its fate.  I seen the scar on the little girl a few years later, and she was only

6 when she was bit, and 10 when I seen her scar, it was something she will have all her life. Her dad

killed the dog. No more problem and all people agreed not to have dogs in their area.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

I would too. Fortunately, there's Soi Dog Foundation. They go into an area for months at a time, and sterilize most of the cats and dogs there, then move on to other areas. They were on Samui for over a year!
If you ever want to help or donate to the cause, they would be a great candidate. What dedicated people, and the vets are AWESOME! Best surgeries I've ever seen!
Here's their link.
Soi Dog Foundation

I can think of a much quicker, cheaper, easier way to solve the soi dog problem .....   and it's a permanent solution. 

With your idea , folks and kids can still get attacked and bitten .... therefore it's not a solution.

• Like 2

A friend of got seriously injured while he was out on his bike a pack of dogs, they came running at him out of a soi causing him to come off his bike, he called me up to come and get him he couldnt walk so I took him to the hospital, 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Destroying these strays is a mercy, not cruelty.

being a dog trainer for over 20yrs,a dog lover for over 65yrs,when i first saw how these dogs live here its a miricle that i have not been put too sleep.i just cant keep my mouth shut when i see some owners treating their dogs like footballs,these poor dogs only exist with no life at all,only misery.i would have no problem with having them put to sleep.when you see a dog outside a store that has attacked a child, its more proberly the dog was asleep,and as the old saying goes,LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE,dont try to pat the dog from above. nothing will ever change.

14 hours ago, Youngmanoz said:

What a shame having dogs attack a child unbelievable Thailand  I use to shoot dogs for attacking my sheep where I come from  the owners learnt there lesson when they went home and found their dogs on the door step with a bullet in these heads   ...... I would have no mercy EATHER when a dog attacking a child   Australia is different they charge the owners of the dogs and still put the dogs down  101% the right thing to do    and make owners pay hard  the poor child has got to live with that fear now        

EVERY DOG NOW THE LITTLE GIRL SEES SHE IS GOING TO HAVE FEAR WHAT A SHAME BREAKS MY HEART  IF SHE WAS MY BABY DAUGHTER  ...THE DOGS ???? ???? ???? ???? ????  FIVE WOULD BE DEAD NOW AS SOON AS THE DONE THAT I WOULD KILL THEM WITH NO MERCY   I WOULD BE PLEASED TO KILL THEM SO THEY DO NOT GET A CHANCE TO HURT ANOTHER CHILD   BECAUSE I SEEN A CHILD ONCE IN AUSTRALIA THAT A DOG BIT ON THE FACE NILLY LOST HIS EYE THE LITTLE BOY   HE WAS ONLY 3 YEARS OLD   AND TORE ALL HIS CHEAK OPEN    THEM MUTTS WOULD BE DEAD IF I SEEN IT  JAIL THE OWNERS  AND MAKE THEM PAY TO  300.000 BART .. I BET THEY DONT HAVE GRUBBY DOGS THEN  DOING THAT TO LITTLE PEOPLE LIKE THAT LITTLE GIRL  SO HEART BREAKING 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Youngmanoz said:

EVERY DOG NOW THE LITTLE GIRL SEES SHE IS GOING TO HAVE FEAR WHAT A SHAME BREAKS MY HEART  IF SHE WAS MY BABY DAUGHTER  ...THE DOGS ????????????????????  FIVE WOULD BE DEAD NOW AS SOON AS THE DONE THAT I WOULD KILL THEM WITH NO MERCY   I WOULD BE PLEASED TO KILL THEM SO THEY DO NOT GET A CHANCE TO HURT ANOTHER CHILD   BECAUSE I SEEN A CHILD ONCE IN AUSTRALIA THAT A DOG BIT ON THE FACE NILLY LOST HIS EYE THE LITTLE BOY   HE WAS ONLY 3 YEARS OLD   AND TORE ALL HIS CHEAK OPEN    THEM MUTTS WOULD BE DEAD IF I SEEN IT  JAIL THE OWNERS  AND MAKE THEM PAY TO  300.000 BART .. I BET THEY DONT HAVE GRUBBY DOGS THEN  DOING THAT TO LITTLE PEOPLE LIKE THAT LITTLE GIRL  SO HEART BREAKING 

No need to shout 

• Haha 1