Retirement Visa Thailand ?

10 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Two paths:

1) Non Imm OA obtained at your Thai Embassy or Consulate

2) Non Imm O Ext of Stay obtained after arrival in Thailand.  Obtained at Thai Immigration.

An American in Thailand on a tourist visa recently (last week) tried to change his tourist visa to a Non Imm O at the Si Racha office and was told Non Imm O visa was only available thru the Thai Embassy in his country. 

Sadly, the rules seem to change at the discretion of whichever Immigration officer you speak to.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, siamike said:

An American in Thailand on a tourist visa recently (last week) tried to change his tourist visa to a Non Imm O at the Si Racha office and was told Non Imm O visa was only available thru the Thai Embassy in his country. 

Sadly, the rules seem to change at the discretion of whichever Immigration officer you speak to.

That is of course wrong information.

Maybe the American should have gone higher up and question it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, siamike said:

The immigration officer was wrong.

The person you referred to should either take it up with that immigration office or apply at a different one where he will be able to obtain a non O from tourist visa.

Also we don't know full details of this account of this random guy. 

You have a link for this report? 

• Like 1

As Dr Jack has posted you can simply arrive and apply here 'O visa for purposes of retirement'.

I however did all my application for same in Oz. Why?

One because I/we packed the house we lived in in Oz and prepped it for rental. The gods forbid a refusal of my application for some bizarre reason might have happen after all the leaving set-up was entrained!

I wanted to make as sure as I could there would be no delay in the transition or (and wanted to be as sure as anyone can be when migrating ones home address to another country) that my visa was fully ratified and set in place PRIOR to packing up life here and leaving the country.

Two had a container of personal items to ship, and the process of having the visa all set-up made the process of importing personal items and complying with non-duty exemptions for my/our belongings was laid out more easily by having my O visa in place.

LOS Customs passage was no issue whatsoever thankfully. 

I chose The Elite Visa system to apply for my O visa and am very, very happy with the service and benefits this concierge styled system has brought to me.

Let me say to you that The Elite is NOT Thai Immigration but a private agency sanctioned/recognised by the Thai government, in effect, as a form of 'visa agency', again it is NOT Thai Official Immigration and as such has no power over Thai Immigration law or edicts.

Elite do and have been of instant help and support for me (merely a phone call away to my dedicated concierge, which has made my condition of reporting, communications with Immigration, questions and other supports I have had want to exercise since moving here all totally seamless.

Good luck with the move????

15 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I chose The Elite Visa system to apply for my O visa and am very, very happy with the service and benefits this concierge styled system has brought to me.

I didn't even think of PE visa.

Perhaps because the OP mentioned first up that he is 53.

You sound very happy with your choice of visa and that's really all that counts..

Just by way of balance, I can assure anyone that following path of non O retirement then annual extensions is bullet proof option.

You would be well aware that with PE you still need annual "extension" (not same requirements) also 90 day reports, though I believe that can be done for you.

In a nutshell I see little benefits for those 50+.

Ripper option for the under 50 group. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeachCH said:

If you decide to use an Immigration agent, most of the requests, especially the financial aspects, will be skipped and you can lay back. Doing your application in Pattaya, you even don't have to visit the Immigration. 

A Google search will help. 

Agree about laying back and using an immigration agent. 

Rather than dropping 800k into a little or non-interest earning Thai bank account, instead invest it wisely in your home country. I did that 10 years ago and it’s now worth close to 2 million baht net after paying annual agent fees. 

Hope this helps. 

A469D883-5C03-4642-B5B2-EC7320E8EDA3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Enter Thailand then apply for a non-O retirement visa. In due course you will have to apply for annual extensions based on 800k in the bank, or proven minimum income requirement. During nearly 40 years in Thailand I have never once used an agent for this or any other purpose however, at 80 years of age, there will soon come a time when I may need to. In the old days Immigration would come to your house to grant extensions if you were too old or too sick to attend in person. I'm not sure if they still do so.

4 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

..... I have never once used an agent for this or any other purpose however, at 80 years of age, there will soon come a time when I may need to...

I have same plan.

Long way shy of 80 but we are all heading in same direction.

When the trip to immigration becomes too much of a chore then I will flip to using an agent.

Currently about 15k per year so it's certainly an option. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When the trip to immigration becomes too much of a chore then I will flip to using an agent.

Can you please suggest any specific visa agents that are good for processing retirement visas?

I talked to one agent in the Pattaya area, and they charge 70K to do ALL of their long-term visas - including the retirement ones. And that is obviously much higher than average rates. But I also discussed this with an acquaintance in the area, and his agent only charges a fraction of that to do the same. However, at the same time, he also said that he frequently has issues come up during the course of the "valid visa period" after approval that require his own proactive actions to resolve them as they come up. So that is not a good option either no matter how cheap it is.

I am still looking around on my own via the internet, but have not approached any other agencies yet. So any help you could provide in terms of referrals would be most appreciated. I have seen you very helpful comments on here for a long time now, so I value your opinions!

It sounds easy but there can be unexpected hiccups or even road blocks.  I applied for a change of visa from exempt to Non-O.  I had brought money into the country to buy a condo and have 800,000 in the bank.  The IO said I must have evidence the 800,000 had come from abroad.  My bank account here is with Kasikorn.  When I transferred the money from the USA using Wise it was sent via a correspondence bank - Bangkok Bank.  I therefore have a letter from Bangkok Bank saying I have brought in money for the purpose of buying a condo (the amount was more than I needed for the condo).  The IO said that this was not acceptable - my 800,000 is with Kasikorn not Bangkok Bank and also that the letter said it was to buy a condo.  She was not interested in papers showing the cost of the condo and hence sufficient left over or the bank trail from Wise to Bangkok Bank to Kasikorn.  So now I need to bring in more money direct to Kasikorn and get them to produce a letter saying it comes from abroad - not just a credit advice.  Most branches will not do this apparently one needs one with an International Business Department.  Of course there is a time limit so I coud end up having to leave and re-enter which in view of the current entry difficulties I wish to avoid. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Terry B said:

Can you please suggest any specific visa agents that are good for processing retirement visas?

Here is recent thread re agents in Pattaya.

The posts mentioned various agents and costs.

Just to clarify. The "retirement visa" is actually a non O based on retirement. It grants 90 stay. In last 30 days you obtain 12 month extension.

It's a 2 step process and costs approx 25-30k.

Some folk have a non O already and only require the extension each year.

The extension alone is approx 15k.

So for someone that entered on tourist visa or visa exempt, it would be ~ 25k for first expense to cover non O and also extension.

Ongoing is ~ 15k per year for extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, thaibook said:

It sounds easy but there can be unexpected hiccups or even road blocks.  I applied for a change of visa from exempt to Non-O.  I had brought money into the country to buy a condo and have 800,000 in the bank.  The IO said I must have evidence the 800,000 had come from abroad.  My bank account here is with Kasikorn.  When I transferred the money from the USA using Wise it was sent via a correspondence bank - Bangkok Bank.  I therefore have a letter from Bangkok Bank saying I have brought in money for the purpose of buying a condo (the amount was more than I needed for the condo).  The IO said that this was not acceptable - my 800,000 is with Kasikorn not Bangkok Bank and also that the letter said it was to buy a condo.  She was not interested in papers showing the cost of the condo and hence sufficient left over or the bank trail from Wise to Bangkok Bank to Kasikorn.  So now I need to bring in more money direct to Kasikorn and get them to produce a letter saying it comes from abroad - not just a credit advice.  Most branches will not do this apparently one needs one with an International Business Department.  Of course there is a time limit so I coud end up having to leave and re-enter which in view of the current entry difficulties I wish to avoid. 

IMO the io was out of line.

In that situation I would ask to speak with someone higher up the food chain.

Failing that I would obtain the non O at another immigration office.

Which immigration office did you deal with. 

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

for someone that entered on tourist visa or visa exempt

Yessir, I entered, (erroneously), a few weeks before the worldwide shutdown happened - on a Visa-Exempt. I was originally thinking I'd only need to be here 30 to 60 days max., but thank God I ended up here instead during this time.

That being said, I have been here the entire time on "COVID-Extentsions". And we've all known it is just a matter of "when", rather than "if", these will eventually end. And also, I recently saw a comment from another highly-trusted commenter on here advising someone in the same exact situation as I, that right now it is unclear as to whether any more extensions can be granted if you entered in on a VE instead of a Tourist Visa. It seems this is unclear in the rules, and so, it is apparently open to discretion of the individual official and/or office to which you apply as to whether they consider you here as a "Tourist" or a "Non-Immigrant"?

Would love to continue using the COVID exemptions because I do have valid reasons for being here instead of my home country for at least a year or so more, but I guess it is time to get more serious about securing a more secure means to remain here for another year. Otherwise, it is kind of stressful to wonder what is going to happen next every 2 months!

33 minutes ago, thaibook said:

I applied for a change of visa from exempt to Non-O.  I had brought money into the country to buy a condo and have 800,000 in the bank.  The IO said I must have evidence the 800,000 had come from abroad. 

How long has the 800k baht been in the bank?

Ask the bank for a credit advice to show the funds came from abroad instead of asking for letter to prove it.

6 minutes ago, Terry B said:

Otherwise, it is kind of stressful to wonder what is going to happen next every 2 months!

I couldn't do it. Too stressful.

I can't see why you would not be able to obtain another covid extension. 

Running against that is io may cite that you have obtained many.

The use of agent to assist with obtaining covid extension might be an option. 

Having said that you are wanting to stay for another year.

If your over 50 I would use agent to obtain non O and 12 month extension. 

I am 73 next month. I have been visiting Thailand for the last 5 years. The last 2 times with  60 days and a 30 day extension. I have grandchildren in the UK and I would like to spend a few months here and a few months there. At suvarnabhumi in January I was questioned why I was returning to Thailand having left in October. I have the funds to obtain a non O if that is best. Or can I just keep coming and going? Ideas and advice would be appreciated. 

4 hours ago, PeachCH said:

If you decide to use an Immigration agent, most of the requests, especially the financial aspects, will be skipped and you can lay back. Doing your application in Pattaya, you even don't have to visit the Immigration. 

A Google search will help. 

Do it yourself 1,900 baht, or use an agent (X 10) 20,000 baht +, first time.

second time 15k +.

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If your over 50 I would use agent to obtain non O and 12 month extension. 

Yessir, I am over 50, and could therefore do the "retirement thing". However, I would love to just keep doing the "COVID Extensions", as they are so much cheaper and easier than anything else.

But again, considering the stress of not knowing what going to happen next until just days before my current visas expire, and in doing that for almost two years now, I am worn out from that kind of worrying.

And my current "COVID emergency visa thingy" will expire on the first of next month. So if I am going to do that one-year visa, then I think I will need to start the process at least two weeks prior the expiration of my current visa? If so, I need to get this rolling by Tuesday of next week!

Can anyone recommend such agent ... and an approx price for a Non O on Retirement and an OA extension as a 15 month package from a Visa Exempt.... Thanks.

1 minute ago, edd999 said:

Can anyone recommend such agent ... and an approx price for a Non O on Retirement and an OA extension as a 15 month package from a Visa Exempt.... Thanks.

You would be obtaining a non O based on retirement and a 12 month extension.

The OA you mention just ignore that part of your question.

I posted a thread above that discusses agents in Pattaya. 

Click on that link and you will have an idea.

Where are you living. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Terry B said:

And my current "COVID emergency visa thingy" will expire on the first of next month. So if I am going to do that one-year visa, then I think I will need to start the process at least two weeks prior the expiration of my current visa?

You would need to deal with agent asap to obtain the non O.

Just a suggestion....in your situation I would go to immigration and outline your plan to obtain non O retirement. No need to mention agent. 

Explain that you require bit more time to obtain the 800k and could they provide one more covid extension.

Which office do you deal with.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1