Refilling a gas bottle.

swbaggies

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I'm very insistent on having the cylinders outside the house and in the shade. If there is a flare up on the hob, you can get to them and cut off the supply.

I turn off the tank valve every time after cooking, having the tank outside is a nice idea. Do you have a shut off valve inside near cooker?

You can always put the new one aside, and just buy a refilled used one from the supplier and have them swap that one each time you need a new tank.  You can even keep the landlord's new one in a partially-filled state so you never run out, which is wise in any event.

I'm guessing that the landlord is just being a bit petty, knowing that tanks have an expiration date beyond which they aren't "supposed to be" refilled, but in actual practice they are fine as long as they aren't corroded or otherwise compromised. So in theory, if you get a tank close to its expiration date, you have some chance of being left holding the bag on a tank that some places will reject if you try to trade it for a filled one.  

15 hours ago, swbaggies said:

I know of places that swap the bottles, but they do not fill it up which is what I want to do.

Here we go, what's wrong with swapping out bottles?  I swap my gas tanks and they last months.  How much of a satang pincher is the OP hoping to get out of refilling the tanks himself? 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, jvs said:

Your landlord is an idiot!Every time you swap a bottle you get another one,some are new and some are used.Does not make any difference,you will have a hard time finding a place that will refill

a bottle without exchanging it.If you do find a place they will have to send it away and you will not

have a gas bottle for a few days.Maybe the best idea is to get a tank of your own and let your landlord take his back so he can cuddle and sleep with it!

Utter rubbish, I fill mine up at the local LPG station.

• Like 1

An important note for those re-filling at vehicle filling stations.

"Cooking gas" is subsidised, vehicle gas (although it's generally the same stuff) isn't. So you are paying slightly more for your gas.

The difference isn't much, but over the years every little helps. We pay about 350 Baht for an exchange bottle, it varies rather but I don't keep records, we use so little gas that it's not really worth it.

Like @jas21 we have two bottles, when one runs out just swap over and get a replacement at my leisure.

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That is a stunning piece of information. And crazily enough, it's something I should be well aware of having been a SCUBA diver for donkey's years! And I've never given it a thought.

I do wonder how many people are actually aware of it. Do you suppose that the filling stations check the dates before they actually refill them?

They will not check it at the pumps but some at least do if not all when exchanged. I too should have known better it had been part of my job years ago checking dates on pressure vessels and sending them off to be checked as required.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, swbaggies said:

I know of places that swap the bottles, but they do not fill it up which is what I want to do.

Yes, bottles can be refilled but as far as I am aware it cannot be done by just anyone. I am not aware of the regulations but my BiL who is pretty much into everything has to get a friend to do it for him. Apparently he has a "card"? that allows him to do it.

A lot may depend on what is being asked, that they fill it for you or you fill it yourself. Either way, if there is a legal requirement on who can do the filling it will restrict the availability of such a service.

As said, much easier to do a swap.

• Confused 1

I have a car runs on LPG so I put my gascylinder in the trunk and ask them to fill up when i fill up my cartank the first place say it is illegal we can not do that for police the second place said it is wrong connektion it not work

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I turn off the tank valve every time after cooking, having the tank outside is a nice idea. Do you have a shut off valve inside near cooker?

Madam Moon is the same. She always switches off the gas after use.

There isn't a shut off inside as the only suitable position would be under the counter top at the back of a filled cupboard (and M. M. knows how to fill a cupboard!) Not the sort of place one wants to go in an emergency. But we can be out the back door in seconds. It's never locked.

22 hours ago, jobsworth said:

It is upsetting to have bought a brand new shiny gas bottle and then to have to replace it with a bashed up old bottle just to buy more butane gas.

We have an old bbq cylinder.They said it was too old/expired to exchange but they filled it up no problem.I know it doesn't leak because I checked it myself with a Bic lighter.

Just now, jaideedave said:

We have an old bbq cylinder.They said it was too old/expired to exchange but they filled it up no problem.I know it doesn't leak because I checked it myself with a Bic lighter.

The danger is them exploding under pressure, like a bomb ........ not leaking.

Just now, jaideedave said:

Joking right, ahahaa. about checking with lighter.

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Exactly. The problem with pressure vessels is they weaken from the inside out.

Receivers on an air compressor need to be examined internally on a regular basis. Bit difficult with a gas bottle, more of a shelf life basis.

On 2/15/2022 at 2:19 PM, Moonlover said:

Just think of pleasure you'd get when exchanging the battered old for a nice shiny new one. Life's full of ups and downs. ????

There are plenty of refill stations around where you can get your 'personal' cylinder refilled while you wait. Even small towns like Sakon Nakhon have one. The central question is, 'does the O/P have access to transport to get his cylinder down to one?'

If he doesn't then the landlord's request is somewhat unreasonable. 

The locals here just balance in on a M/C.

On 2/15/2022 at 3:02 PM, mlkik said:

I refill our gas bottle in Udon Thani at a LPG /Petrol station. Just put it in your car boot and pull up next to the gas pump and they will refill it in your boot.

It normally costs ฿400 for a full refill.

Full gas bottles should only be transported standing up,  But TIT so up to you.

On 2/15/2022 at 5:05 PM, LukKrueng said:

Actually you don't buy it, only pay a deposit that you can get back

55555 I tried to get my deposit back they were not interested. end of. 

On 2/15/2022 at 9:37 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Wondering how many check for gas leaks when a bottle gets changed. Considering how close to the flame many tanks are here, that is a real concern. I know I do, and I keep the same tank and refill myself for reason of safety.

I keep mine outside but the reason the bottles shut off tap is on the opposite side of the outlet is quite simple, if the gas escaping from a bottle is alight the idea is that you simply approach the bottle from the rear and turn it off. Always have the bottle facing in such a way so as you can achieve this. LPG bottles do NOT explode, unless they are in a fire and get so hot as to explode. Think cigarette lighters; when you light one they do not explode there is no flash back just a simple valve. Just saying. 

21 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

LPG bottles do NOT explode,

Like every other pressure vessel,  not if they are in good condition or empty.

Consistent with their usage, pressure vessels have a positive pressure inside and if the walls are weakened either by corrosion or stress there will come a point where the pressure will overcome that weakness and force it's way out.

Of course you are free to call it anything you want, with rubber, it is normally "burst".

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Like every other pressure vessel,  not if they are in good condition or empty.

Consistent with their usage, pressure vessels have a positive pressure inside and if the walls are weakened either by corrosion or stress there will come a point where the pressure will overcome that weakness and force it's way out.

Of course you are free to call it anything you want, with rubber, it is normally "burst".

Well of course ! I was referring to good condition that is why exchange is better than re-fill. Always check the date on the tank, As with car LPG tanks must be changed every 10 years. So if the rubber bursts turn off the gas. I did my LPG tank safety course run by the British Fire Brigade at their training school in Righgate where gas cylinders were lit and we had to extinguish them. 

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Well of course ! I was referring to good condition that is why exchange is better than re-fill. Always check the date on the tank, As with car LPG tanks must be changed every 10 years. So if the rubber bursts turn off the gas. I did my LPG tank safety course run by the British Fire Brigade at their training school in Righgate where gas cylinders were lit and we had to extinguish them. 

My reference to rubber was tongue in cheek.

There is a big difference between gas escaping and the sudden fracture of the vessel wall.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:56 PM, jobsworth said:

It is upsetting to have bought a brand new shiny gas bottle and then to have to replace it with a bashed up old bottle just to buy more butane gas.

Is the gas bottle displayed like a prized object? Mine goes into a kitchen cupboard under the hotplate.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:20 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Joking right, ahahaa. about checking with lighter.

Me, I use a spray bottle with some kind of cleaner that will give a bubble as you spray over fittings. Always after hooking same bottle back up.

On 2/16/2022 at 12:20 PM, BritManToo said:

LP tanks are not high pressure and do not really explode. The danger is from leaks. Gas leaks can and do cause explosions, but it is rarely the tank that is leaking. 

We pay 375Baht for delivery of a full bottle and to take away the empty one. TBH is see no poin is lugging one to the local gas station. BUT next timeIi will check the test date on the bottle ... good point.  Usually give the guy a 20Baht tip.

11 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

We pay 375Baht for delivery of a full bottle and to take away the empty one. TBH is see no poin is lugging one to the local gas station. BUT next timeIi will check the test date on the bottle ... good point.  Usually give the guy a 20Baht tip.

Dude carries it up two flights of stairs and my wife always gets mad when I tip him...

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Dude carries it up two flights of stairs and my wife always gets made when I tip him...

I'm more than happy if he misses bumping into the car when he carries the bottle past, worth 20Baht just for that.

I have to say since the Cov19 situtation I have been more generous with tipping delivery guys etc. Also now keep a few 50Baht notes in the car and on hand one out to the poor guys you see collecting cardboard and plastic bottles to scrape a living together. I just think how fortunate we are.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:37 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Wondering how many check for gas leaks when a bottle gets changed. Considering how close to the flame many tanks are here, that is a real concern. I know I do, and I keep the same tank and refill myself for reason of safety.

By all means keep the bottle you like but check the test date and replace if necessary otherwise it's more dangerous.