Refilling a gas bottle.

swbaggies

Of course you can get that bottle filled. We do it all of the time in Udon Thani. The one we use is in the back of a gas station. They sell the gas for cars in front and they fill the gas bottles around the back. Just Google map it, should be able to find one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, swbaggies said:

The landlord is insistent that it is filled up as it is his new bottle rather than swap it. 

Well, then let the landlord do it. Not your problem...

And how will he or you know the bottle is rather new? Can be just re-painted....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, jobsworth said:

It is upsetting to have bought a brand new shiny gas bottle and then to have to replace it with a bashed up old bottle just to buy more butane gas.

I agree with you. I bought a new one with a 1 2-year life, on Koh Samui then found there was no refill facility on the island.

• Like 1

All of these gas Bottles can be filled with Gas only rather than exchange Bottle.

I can sort of understand the Landlords attitude, because he has actually bought the Bottle, and therefore owns it, as is the Thai way with these Gas Bottles..

We have a Bottle of the size you have ( 5KG ), and get it filled regularly in Pattaya , opposite the Bangkok Hospital on Suk for 110 Baht.

There will be a Service for this somewhere in your area, just ask the Landlord, as all the Restaurants and Hotels Etc will be using this fill up only service.

3 hours ago, jobsworth said:

It is upsetting to have bought a brand new shiny gas bottle and then to have to replace it with a bashed up old bottle just to buy more butane gas.

Actually you don't buy it, only pay a deposit that you can get back (minus service fee if you got it from a shop). Once your cylinder nears it's end of life date you can replace it at the filing stations - mind you, it might not be a shiny new one, but a recently serviced/inspected cylinder, at no extra cost

• Like 2

Used to fill ours up at a LPG station perhaps a little cheaper but then I remembered the reason you should exchange it. They have to be pressure tested every few years so you should look for the stamp, not always easy to find or read, mine was out of date. The gas shops will send it away because even here in Thailand this is taken seriously. If you fill it up and it's way out of date you may have trouble brewing, it's done for good reason. So yes as other people have said your landlord is an idiot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleBear57 said:

Used to fill ours up at a LPG station perhaps a little cheaper but then I remembered the reason you should exchange it. They have to be pressure tested every few years so you should look for the stamp, not always easy to find or read, mine was out of date. The gas shops will send it away because even here in Thailand this is taken seriously. If you fill it up and it's way out of date you may have trouble brewing, it's done for good reason. So yes as other people have said your landlord is an idiot.

That is a stunning piece of information. And crazily enough, it's something I should be well aware of having been a SCUBA diver for donkey's years! And I've never given it a thought.

I do wonder how many people are actually aware of it. Do you suppose that the filling stations check the dates before they actually refill them?

Wondering how many check for gas leaks when a bottle gets changed. Considering how close to the flame many tanks are here, that is a real concern. I know I do, and I keep the same tank and refill myself for reason of safety.

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Wondering how many check for gas leaks when a bottle gets changed. Considering how close to the flame many tanks are here, that is a real concern. I know I do, and I keep the same tank and refill myself for reason of safety.

I'm very insistent on having the cylinders outside the house and in the shade. If there is a flare up on the hob, you can get to them and cut off the supply.