Retirement Visa and Traveling Around Thailand

Planning to retire late this year of months by applying the O-A visa when I arrive in Bangkok as a visa exempt tourist.  Not exactly sure where I would to like to stay in Thailand long term so I like to stay a couple of months in various places. Is this plan viable, I understand that you will need proof of residency and the TM30 forms will need to be filled.

You would be applying for a non-o visa. You will need at least 15 days remaining on the your 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it to do the application.

You have to apply for the non-o visa and one year extension of stay based upon retirement at the same office.

After getting the 90 day stay the non-o visa gives you could travel around the country but you would have to return to the same province where you applied for the visa.

Requirements for the visa application is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/9-ผู้สูงอายุเพื่อใช้ชีวิตบั้นปลาย-อายุ-50-ปี-รหัสO.pdf

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick response, indeed I meant the Non O visa. 

I guess the requirement is that I will need to go back to the "home" province every 90 days during the one-year validity of the visa.  So it is not possible to live in BKK, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai,..etc. for 3-4 months in each cities.

Just now, Ryan Lee said:

Thanks for the quick response, indeed I meant the Non O visa. 

I guess the requirement is that I will need to go back to the "home" province every 90 days during the one-year validity of the visa.  So it is not possible to live in BKK, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai,..etc. for 3-4 months in each cities.

No, once your initial 90 days is up you can apply for a 1 year extension. During that year you can travel freely.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ryan Lee said:

I assume you are writing about doing 90 day reports. Those can be done online so you do not have to return to to the office that did your extension every 90 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, during the transition from visa exempt to O visa extension, you need to be dealing with the same local immigration office, local address etc. After you get an O extension you are free to travel, relocate etc.

Your first 90 day report may need to be done at the local office, after that you can do 90 day online, mail etc.

The process from exempt to extension could be a little as a couple of weeks through to a couple of months, depending on timing, office etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you are writing about doing 90 day reports. Those can be done online so you do not have to return to to the office that did your extension every 90 days.

That is exactly what I was asking about, the reporting requirement after you get the 1-year visa.  

Sounds like my plan is not going to be a problem assuming I can find short term leases in the various cities I am going to.

8 minutes ago, Ryan Lee said:

Sounds like my plan is not going to be a problem assuming I can find short term leases in the various cities I am going to

That's an option.

Personally I would just continue with same address that I used initially. Do the 90 day reports via online or mail option.

Your first report will be due 90 days from date you obtain 12 month extension. 

That first report cannot be done online. Mail is ok.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Lee said:

That is exactly what I was asking about, the reporting requirement after you get the 1-year visa.  

Sounds like my plan is not going to be a problem assuming I can find short term leases in the various cities I am going to.

You will only need to do your first 90 report in person 90 days after the day apply for the one year extension of stay (it not a visa).

You will only need the lease at the office where you apply for your extension.

The online reporting will be submitted to the office where you did the extension. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Lee said:

Probably a good idea to do at least one online report, to verify you can, before moving about . Not much use being at the other end of Thailand then realizing a problem with online reporting.

• Like 1

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Probably a good idea to do at least one online report, to verify you can, before moving about . Not much use being at the other end of Thailand then realizing a problem with online reporting.

If he uses the new online reporting site there it will not be a problem with doing them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

We travel a lot for extended periods. I always use mail option.

Works a treat from anywhere in Thailand. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

We travel a lot for extended periods. I always use mail option.

You need to try the new site. I would almost bet it will work for you.

Many successful reports by people that could not do it on the old site that is already gone and when you try to open it you will be redirected to the new site. The mobile app is still available but people are still having problems using it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to try the new site. I would almost bet it will work for you.

Many successful reports by people that could not do it on the old site that is already gone and when you try to open it you will be redirected to the new site. The mobile app is still available but people are still having problems using it.

I was able to do my 90 day report online with the old site, but I can't do it on the new site. I am reverse of everybody else.

• Like 2

Is it possible to arrive on a 2 month tourist visa and then apply for a non-O ? 

Or better to apply for a non-OA before travelling to Thailand? 

I already have a BKK bank account and just turned 50 years old. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, QPRFC said:

Is it possible to arrive on a 2 month tourist visa and then apply for a non-O ? 

That is the best option.

The OA visa requires 3 million baht of insurance coverage now plus all of the other requirements that are not needed for the non-o visa.

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, robert888d said:

Who is Ubonjoe?

He seems to know so much about everything?

Are you a solicitor?

How long have you been living in Thailand?

Which bank would you  recommend?

I heard a rumour he has wings and can ascend and descend at will ... sits at the right hand and all that lol ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robert888d said:

Who is Ubonjoe?

He seems to know so much about everything?

Are you a solicitor?

How long have you been living in Thailand?

Which bank would you  recommend?

Ubon Joe is the ASEAN NOW visa expert...:thumbsup:

One thing that makes it a nightmare traveling 'freely' and frequently about Thailand is the TM30 requirement. 

Reporting to immigration within 24 hours if you do not stay in a guest house/hotel where they are required to report for you.  Coming back to your usual abode in Thailand definitely you need to lodge the TM30. 

I recently returned from a trip to Phuket to then having to wait in a horrendous queue for near 2 hours in Jomtien immigration to lodge the form.  It really turns me off wanting to travel anywhere, when each time I have to go through this really stressful c**p.

Exhausted, sweating, severe aching back and really annoyed.  I tried getting there early but the queue was even worse leading outside the immigration office. 

Afternoon, people after me were finally sent away as too many people.  And if you are more than 24 hours late its 1900 baht fine.  Agents can't do it for you.  The online reporting doesn't work and not guaranteed anyway.  A real deterrent to going away, especially short trips. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, aussienam said:

One thing that makes it a nightmare traveling 'freely' and frequently about Thailand is the TM30 requirement. 

Reporting to immigration within 24 hours if you do not stay in a guest house/hotel where they are required to report for you.  Coming back to your usual abode in Thailand definitely you need to lodge the TM30. 

That has not been required since June of 2020 when immigration issued a regulation changing the requirements for the the TM30 report.

It is no longer needed for travel within the country. It is only required if you change your address or enter the country with a new visa.

• Like 2