Bangkok name change: It's all a change in punctuation

webfact

1 hour ago, Tambs2020 said:

I like “Dave” it’s easy and was used in Cheech and Chong for the ease of tongue ( see I spelt Tongue right and pat self on back) 

“where are you off to mate” 

me “ I off to Dave for a cpl of months”  

see how easy is that !!

It will cost you a few quid. And bring lek and pim with you.

I prefer Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit!It just flows off the tongue!

Edited by boonnoon

5 hours ago, Encore said:

Many place names around the world that were Anglicised and used internationally have changed to be known by their previously known local names, such as Beijing (Peking), Kolcota (Calcutta), Yangon (Rangoon). 

I have always used either, depending who I am talking with and the context.  If travelling, I always ensure I can recognise the local version in the local language.  

In this case, I suspect that the locals with still refer to 'Bangkok' as 'Krung Thep' rather than 'Krung Thep Maha Nakhon', which is probably only for formal government use rather than using the full name. 

It would, however, be surprising if the 'Maha Nakhon' is added to road signsBangkok Ahead ⚠ Thai Highway Traffic Sign ⚠ Magnet | Zazzle.com in 2021 | Traffic  signs, Highway traffic, Bangkok

For the sake of simplicity, personally I would prefer to use the name "Bangkok".

In much the same way as the "UK" actually has the longest name of any country in the world, i.e.  "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" 

(For "non-believers" From Wikipedia:- 

What is the Longest Country Name in the World?

Rank Country Name Character Count

1 The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 56"

• Like 1

Just now, sambum said:

For the sake of simplicity, personally I would prefer to use the name "Bangkok".

In much the same way as the "UK" actually has the longest name of any country in the world, i.e.  "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" 

(For "non-believers" From Wikipedia:- 

What is the Longest Country Name in the World?

Rank Country Name Character Count

1 The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 56"

6 hours ago, boonnoon said:

I prefer Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit!It just flows off the tongue!

Love yo see the expression on there face if you went into a travel agent and said you want a return ticket to the above. Bet even the immigration Officer would look at you and wonder what you were saying or even where it was,

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Black Angus said:

Love yo see the expression on there face if you went into a travel agent and said you want a return ticket to the above. Bet even the immigration Officer would look at you and wonder what you were saying or even where it was,

The problem with your analysis is that you speculate about what would happen if somebody "says" the name.  And for that you are correct.  But a Thai would "sing" the name.  And, with that, every other Thai would understand immediately.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Encore said:

Many place names around the world that were Anglicised and used internationally have changed to be known by their previously known local names, such as Beijing (Peking), Kolcota (Calcutta), Yangon (Rangoon). 

I have always used either, depending who I am talking with and the context.  If travelling, I always ensure I can recognise the local version in the local language.  

In this case, I suspect that the locals with still refer to 'Bangkok' as 'Krung Thep' rather than 'Krung Thep Maha Nakhon', which is probably only for formal government use rather than using the full name. 

It would, however, be surprising if the 'Maha Nakhon' is added to road signsBangkok Ahead ⚠ Thai Highway Traffic Sign ⚠ Magnet | Zazzle.com in 2021 | Traffic  signs, Highway traffic, Bangkok

The problem with YOUR analysis is that "Bangkok" is NOT "Anglicised."  It is a 100% "Thai" name.  On the other hand, "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" comes from a foreign Indian language that is mostly a dead one:  Pali.  

There would be some irony there if the people who make these decisions were actually educated.  But given their ignorance and probable belief that "Bangkok" is "Anglicised" and "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" is actually Thai, the irony is probably not there.  This sort of thing is the reason why Thailand so often ends up as the laughing stock of the world, while the Thais, themselves, don't even know . . .  What can possibly be more blissful than ignorance?

NOTE:  

Before the capital was moved to Bangkok, locals had been living there for ages and referred to the pre-capital area as ‘Bahng Gawk’ (บางกอก).

‘Bahng’ (บาง), means ‘a place’ in Thai.  ‘Gawk’ (กอก), comes from มะ-กอก which means ‘olives’.  You bet that the name Bangkok came from the fact that ‘Bahng Gawk’ was a place with lots of olive trees.

Edited by Joules
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What‘s the smoke screen for this time? Nobody in his right mind believes, that this is all about change for the sake of changing ........
I would assume that a billion - if not more - people know about Bangkok; less than 200 million though will identify this with Krung Thep. Latter is the Thai name; Bangkok was derived from a part (Bangkok Noi) of Krung Thep when the latter became the capital back in 1782. 

But, as said, this failed state is in dire need of fixing completely different and definitely more important issues; Bangkok vs. Krung Thep is smoke screen and stirs the non-Thai hatred even more among the uneducated semi-divine Khon Thai! 

On 2/17/2022 at 6:13 PM, Encore said:

It was the People's Republic of China in 1949 that adopted the pinyin (romanized spelling) transliteration method and used the Latin alphabet changing Peking to Beijing. So "Peking" was "Latinized" and not Anglicised. No influence from the British Empire.

• Like 1