COVID Not Medical Emergency Anymore

snoop1130

16 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The Public Health Ministry should consult with the Dept of Disease Control that publishes the official hospital numbers daily. Yesterdays numbers were:

163 on ventilators

728 in ICU

64,919 in hospital covid wards receiving treatment

The count of COVID patients being treated in regular hospitals has almost quadrupled since the beginning of the year to the 64,919 figure above. And continues rising virtually every day.

If that isn't a "medical emergency," then I don't know what is.

As for the "Only about 700 COVID-19 patients were admitted to hospital for the time being, he said."

Here's the COVID regular hospitalization patient counts for the past two days:

Feb 16 -- 62,752

Feb 17 –- 64,919

By my count, that's a single day increase of 2,167.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well I certainly think it's high time they made the wearing of them optional when outside.

We should all be capable of making our own individual risk assessment by now.

It is the risk to others and how they perceive it that is also relevant. On WIN bikes, or in a baht bus might still be warranted. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is the risk to others and how they perceive it that is also relevant. On WIN bikes, or in a baht bus might still be warranted. 

That is exactly what I mean by: 'capable of making our own individual risk assessment'.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

Even the CDC and NIH have admitted that "co-morbidity" is the key factor.  Forcing someone to "be hospitalized" for a positive test, is not the same as being seriously ill with something that triggers your particular co-morbidity illness. By current "logic", and I use this term loosely, the 'emergency could last forever.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

It only becomes a medical emergency at 11pm so the bars have to shut. We all know the virus suddenly gets more dangerous later in the evening

But the good doc is right, Omicron does not qualify as an emergency due to the low death rate. Time to move on

Now the tourisminustry and hotels and more contacted the goverment tell them to stop PCR tests and mandantory quarantene hotels.Their loosing tourists to neighbour countries.Will they listen???I DONT THINK SO

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

'If that isn't a "medical emergency," then I don't know what is'

It's a total over-reaction- that's what it is.  Hospitalizing someone because of mild or even moderate symptoms is not a good idea at all.  

People were originally hospitalised because there was no other practical way of preventing the pandemic from spreading and because of an observed history of non compliance with isolation orders

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

Omicron can and does kill people who are very old and fragile.

Also other people for a variety of reasons.

31 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Omicron can and does kill people who are very old and fragile though.

I agree that the risk to the vulnerable still exists. Does Omicron present any greater risk to the health of the old, fragile and those in high-risk groups compared to a household cold or seasonal influenza ?

Obviously the high level of transmission presents greater risk of exposure, however, is the impact of Omicron to health any more severe than illnesses many of us take for granted and have lived with for generations without great concern, such as household colds and influenza, bearing in mind that the old, fragile and those in high risk groups have always had to take precautions against contracting influenza and colds.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree that the risk to the vulnerable still exists. Does Omicron present any greater risk to the health of the old, fragile and those in high-risk groups compared to a household cold or seasonal influenza ?

Obviously the high level of transmission presents greater risk of exposure, however, is the impact of Omicron to health any more severe than illnesses many of us take for granted and have lived with for generations without great concern, such as household colds and influenza, bearing in mind that the old, fragile and those in high risk groups have always had to take precautions against contracting influenza and colds.

Don't ignore the prospect that the longer a virus circulates and the more hosts that exist the greater the chance of further mutation. This is why omicron should be treated with continued caution.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

'is the impact of Omicron to health any more severe than illnesses many of us take for granted and have lived with for generations without great concern'

No, it isn't imo. In fact, Omicron is behaving more like any ordinary coronavirus, and much like a traditional winter bug.  It could produce one of those 'wicked colds' in an otherwise healthy person.

Unfortunately, with very old and also vulnerable people, who often live with chronic underlying illness, just about anything can kill.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

'is the impact of Omicron to health any more severe than illnesses many of us take for granted and have lived with for generations without great concern'

No, it isn't imo. In fact, Omicron is behaving more like any ordinary coronavirus, and much like a traditional winter bug.  It could produce one of those 'wicked colds' in an otherwise healthy person.

Unfortunately, with very old and also vulnerable people, who often live with chronic underlying illness, just about anything can kill.

Society has an ethical and moral obligation to protect all citizens, not just the healthy. Where have we seen similar sentiments before?

• Like 2