Taken out by a dog ! it can happen so easily !

CharlieH

Dogs wandering have always been an issue in Thailand.. This shows how easy and deadly it can be.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSe7PQ84M/

Dogs are unpredictable and can come out of nowhere.

STAY SAFE

EDIT: Video has since been taken down, probably because of the demise of the rider.

Here is an alternate illustrating the same issue.Thankfully this one walked away from it !

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSe7QNeny/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I witnessed the same type of fatality in front of my house in Issan.

I pulled up at the road from my house, motorcycle bombing down the street, dog comes running out from a field and bang. Dog lives, motorcycle rider dies in front of my truck on the road.

Took all of a couple of seconds to unfold.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes can happen anytime, riders cheap helmet came straight off, chin strap not used most likely. Probably going too fast also in a risky area where dogs are

I used to race motocross. Riding a bike in Thailand scares me. A good helmet, buckled chin strap, and this sad story has a better ending.

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You mean they sell them off to be consumed in Cambodia etc....

Mention Sakonnakon and Thais always mention "kin maa".

As for that video clip that guy was traveling way too fast through what looked like an intersection.  Not to long ago I was riding my motorbike on a small soi and I see a dog ahead walking along in my lane going the same direction, as I'm almost passing him something spooks him in the nearby grass and he jumps right in front of me, forcing me to slam my breaks.  Luckily I wasn't going fast and was able to handle the surprise.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ding said:

I used to race motocross. Riding a bike in Thailand scares me. A good helmet, buckled chin strap, and this sad story has a better ending.

It's not as bad as people think, dogs rarely run out, they aren't that stupid particularly on busy roads, where they are a higher risk is further away from town when I'm cycling, roads are quiet so dogs freely roam. i do about 18k km a year most times you see dogs in plenty of time to slow down

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Ran over a dog running out from a parked car on my Versys 650 at about 80 kph run it over with no problems.

A large monitor lizard took me down on my Airblade scoot doing about 30 kph I glad wasn't going fast because with little wheels I still may on gone down.

Both occassion they came so fast immediatly in front of me.

Kind of supports the claims that bigger bikes are actually safer! Being heavier,larger wheels etc.????

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Kind of supports the claims that bigger bikes are actually safer! Being heavier,larger wheels etc.????

lt's difficult to say what can happen in different situations.

Braking late I don't think would help ABS or no ABS. 

On a blind bend leaning over and suddenly something coming unsighted into the road. 

Small wheels can be a menace in many situations.

Large normal size motorbike wheels will be best in most incidents.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's not as bad as people think, dogs rarely run out, they aren't that stupid particularly on busy roads, where they are a higher risk is further away from town when I'm cycling, roads are quiet so dogs freely roam. i do about 18k km a year most times you see dogs in plenty of time to slow down

Must be only Phuket dogs that are stupid, then.

Pretty much every one of them that lives on, or near a main road has a limp.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Chickens can also be a problem  . Free range is one thing , but the chickens here have taken it to another level. My current tally is 2 chickens and quite a big cockerel .  The latter put a dent in the front fender.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

Chickens can also be a problem  . Free range is one thing , but the chickens here have taken it to another level. My current tally is 2 chickens and quite a big cockerel .  The latter put a dent in the front fender.

I think chickens run out for excitement, you know, to pass the day.

I hit a cat or fox on my Suzuki 500 years ago, it just bounced off the front wheel, no effect on bike. I reckon key thing here is don't grab the front brake and drop the bike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

No wondering dogs in Issan i'm told, they have a good use for them there and i don't mean in the kind way...

Come on up here and have a ride out with me. I'll soon put you straight on that myth!

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They're just trying to ‘cross the road’....   you know why ? ????

... looking for something to eat.

////////

Hit a young soi dogs years back.

Front wheel back wheel

thump thump.

Best to apply throttle.

Hit a snake once.

7 hours ago, stereolab said:

Driving and avoiding a dog whilst on a motorcycle at speed is problematic, however, when driving a car, it is not, simply aim for the body mass of the dog, do not, ever, try to swerve a dog which is attacking you.

Attacking you in a car?

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I think it is an easy argument. More stable, better brakes and tires, etc. It is the cavalier riders of big bikes that make them so dangerous. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ding said:

Riding a bike in Thailand scares me.

Try riding a bicycle in Thailand. If it ain't the dogs trying to pull you off its traffic not seeing you when passing a junction. Only this morning I had to take action to avoid accidents on two occasions. The first one really pizzed me off when the woman rode off without stopping and laughing.

• Sad 1

Original clip has been removed.

Here is another illustrating the same thing.

This time its a CBF 650 Honda ! Bigger bike, and he gets to walk away.

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think it is an easy argument. More stable, better brakes and tires, etc. It is the cavalier riders of big bikes that make them so dangerous. 

2 hours ago, Chris.B said:

No video?

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

lt's difficult to say what can happen in different situations.

Braking late I don't think would help ABS or no ABS. 

On a blind bend leaning over and suddenly something coming unsighted into the road. 

Small wheels can be a menace in many situations.

Large normal size motorbike wheels will be best in most incidents.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I think chickens run out for excitement, you know, to pass the day.

I hit a cat or fox on my Suzuki 500 years ago, it just bounced off the front wheel, no effect on bike. I reckon key thing here is don't grab the front brake and drop the bike

I guess a 500 year old Suzuki had no ABS?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Original clip has been removed.

Here is another illustrating the same thing.

This time its a CBF 650 Honda ! Bigger bike, and he gets to walk away.

He still went down and had time to brake and go to the right of the dog. 

I didn't go down on my Versys 650 it was just bumper de bump. 

Didn't have any reaction time it was a unseen dog entering my path litterery running right out under my front wheel. 

I don't want to watch especially if either the dog or the 'driver/rider' is hurt.
I find it best to slow down and give the horn a short honk/beep.  That gets their attention and gives you a rough idea whether then see you and what they'll do now that they know a car/motorcycle is coming.  I find that dogs only are unpredictable when they don't realize you're there, or of they are really triggered by another dog (in a fight or in heat). 
Most Thais in our area can't seem to take their feet off of the accelerator.  So in our area dead dogs aren't that uncommon as well as car/motorcycle damage.  People need to slow down and be caution but here in Thailand?  They just can't.  Most of the time if you let the dogs know you're coming and slow enough to react, there is no problem.