Thailand to consider cutting second COVID-19 tests on international arrivals

snoop1130

16 hours ago, racyrick said:

What a joke. A CEO with a vested interest in trying to improve his business at the expense of the people's health.

Most infections are caught on the second test!!!!

A bit too quick with your comment there @racyrick. Absolute joke of a response from you. If you had taken the time to engage your brain, you would have realise how nonsensical your response was.

• Like 2

Just landed back in BKK yesterday.  Already had a Thailand Pass approved with the 7 Day ASQ  package and this time I used the KISS(Keep It simple Stupid) principle was best and decided not to switch to Test and Go.  Main reason was this:  Did not want to be out and about and then go to another hotel for the 2nd PCR test.  The arrival process at BKK was extremely fast.  Landed at 0830 from Singapore and was in the hotel van by 0930.  By 0945 I was driven to a hospital parking lot.  I never left the van and the hospital worker swabbed me there.  Got the "not detected" test result last night.  

I think the best course of action to move forward is to have a 1 night ASQ with a PCR test for those who are fully vaccinated. If the PCR test is "not detected" then "free at last, free at last". A positive result on the 2nd PCR test on the Test and Go could really mean one was infected while roaming inside of the country? 

• Like 1

Departing to Singapore next Saturday and return about 10 days.

Should I prepare all requirements for applying Thailand Pass now? ????

Yesterday received email about my paid arrival PCR test at Singapore will be cancelled due to new requirements starting from 21/Feb.

Things changing fast everywhere...

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

With the current arrivals likely down to 900 a day, we knew this was inevitable. So, why didn't they? Are they truly that clueless? 

Has tourism here been permanently sabotaged? I certainly think so. 

Hard to know.

Maybe they wanted to give suffering tourism businesses the impression they were opening rather than the reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul met with AirAsia CEO Tony Fernandes, who suggested measures to improve the “Test & Go” scheme, specifically the removal of the second test requirement.

Whilst I respect Mr. Fernandes, what say should he have in the running of any Country.

The Thai Government should - repeat should, be able to make there own decisions regarding any policy that was put in place for the protection of the population by the Authorities, and not be " persuaded " by an Airline Exec. 

18 hours ago, racyrick said:

What a joke. A CEO with a vested interest in trying to improve his business at the expense of the people's health.

Most infections are caught on the second test!!!!

Most infections are caught on the second test - so what? How many infections are we talking about compared to the number of cases every day transmitted locally? It is a drop in the bucket. Even if every single arrival was infected it is still far less than daily reported cases.

Even the day 1 test makes little sense but the day 5 is virtually pointless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Infections caught on the second test are, pretty much by definition, not infections brought in from abroad but rather acquired after arrival in Thailand. Omicron incubation is only about 3 days.

There is no public health rationale for testing people on day 5.

im hearing stories of people skipping the second test with zero repercussions

I live in the UK and just now considering visiting Thailand arriving towards the end of March (with my Thai wife and her 22 year old daughter) to visit family members, etc. About 3 months ago I thought Covid vaccinations rate of the Thai population were then about to be rapidly increased but either that :- 

1. did not occur, or

2. the residents refused to get vaccinated, or

3. the Vaccines used were <deleted>. 

which of 1. , 2. , or 3. of the above is the TRUE fact? 

Also, I intend taking internal flights from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai to Ubon Ratchanthani so what pre check-in checks (with Covid being so rampant just now it seems within Thailand) do the airlines require for passengers using their Domestic routes? Are these checks different depending on who is the Airline operator? I intend flying to Thailand with Emirates who insist on a negative Covid PCR test within 48 hours of departure and this gives me greater confidence taking a 13 hour flight with them than if no testing is required for a 75 minute flight within Thailand. I suppose I could hire a car instead? I am classified by my Doctor to be “at high risk from Covid infections” but am now TRIPLE vaccinated with 2x AZ and 1x Pfizer. Are these (and others) “relatively good” vaccines FREELY available to ALL Thai residents, or not? 

Europe is dropping most restrictions for entry. Given that the tourist business has been hurt hardest and they affect the poorest members of society, surely just show a vaccination certificate on entry and a test within 72 hours of entry, and scrap the insurance requirement. Job done! Omicron is a peanut. 

• Like 1

to be honest let it be done with all these covid restriction and open up fully back to normal and yes we have to learn to live with covid cause it's not going away any time soon, vaccine are available either you get it or you don't, mask or not it's all up to you, we have to stop caring too much, choice are giving take it or not it's up to individual, the world need to move on people need to make a living, country need to survive.  

• Like 1

It's a shame that there are no experts in Thailand and they must take advice from a foreigner (ceo of Airasia) who is a Malaysian.

Yes, get rid of that second test and make the first test at the airport without any hotel quarantine not even for 1 day.

Edited by EricTh

23 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Just talking about my own circumstances; this is not enough... As long as they request a useless insurance, I will think twice before travelling to Thailand.

Insurance is not useless if you are tested positive with Covid and have no money to pay for the bills.

In the past, many tourists to Thailand were jobless backpackers with hardly any money on them.

Govt should instead give another option of not having to buying insurance if we can show enough funds in Thailand banks (eg. min 30,000 baht).

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, vinci said:

to be honest let it be done with all these covid restriction and open up fully back to normal and yes we have to learn to live with covid cause it's not going away any time soon, vaccine are available either you get it or you don't, mask or not it's all up to you, we have to stop caring too much, choice are giving take it or not it's up to individual, the world need to move on people need to make a living, country need to survive.  

I agree, I'd probably be annoyed with a pre-flight PCR or whatever but that's about it on what I would put up with at this point. It's just so tiresome keeping up with it all.

18 hours ago, thaiman said:

If they really were concerned, why not rapid test everyone who rides the BTS/MRT before everyday

Exactly but the positives from such tests wouldnt result in ten day private hospital stays and 100k into the coffers of the select few........ so its never going to happen, unless they only tested the westerners riding the Bts.

• Like 2