Thai tourism sector calls for easing of COVID-19 requirements to boost arrivals

webfact

dsc_0730.jpg

Tourists visit the world-famous Maya Bay in southern Thailand. (Photo: CNA/Pichayada Promchertchoo)

Pichayada Promchertchoo

BANGKOK: Tourism organisations in Thailand have called on the government to ease the COVID-19 requirements for international visitors to boost arrivals in time for the Easter holidays in April.

Presidents of 20 tourism associations and councils submitted a letter to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and related officials, asking for changes in the government’s COVID-19 protocols for overseas travellers.

Gen Prayut heads the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), which determines Thailand’s directions to control the spread of the coronavirus.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/thai-tourism-sector-wants-easing-covid-19-measures-2506581

CNA.jpg
-- © Copyright Channel NewsAsia 2022-02-19

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

56 minutes ago, grain said:

My home state of Western Australia, which up to now has been like a fortress, have just announced new regulations. Fully vaxed (3 shots) international arrivals will be given a rapid test (RAT) on arrival. Test neg and off you go, no need to quarantine at all. Unvaxed arrivals need do 1 week quarantine at a gov' hotel.

This make sense to me. Fully vaxed + neg RAT = come and go freely.

What happen if you test positive?

Quarantine? Who pays?

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, grain said:

My home state of Western Australia, which up to now has been like a fortress, have just announced new regulations. Fully vaxed (3 shots) international arrivals will be given a rapid test (RAT) on arrival. Test neg and off you go, no need to quarantine at all. Unvaxed arrivals need do 1 week quarantine at a gov' hotel.

This make sense to me. Fully vaxed + neg RAT = come and go freely.

Interstate travellers 3 vax doses

International travellers 2 vax doses 

Pax given a RAT on arrival and must report a positive result within 24 hours. 

Extraordinarily bad idea during this Omicron wave which is spiralling out of control. New infections now occuring at a rate not before seen in Thailand! Shut up shop and make people stay home until this wave is done! Only leave your home for vaccinations!

• Sad 1

If they remove the day five test I'll come to Thailand at Easter. If they don't I won't. And it's not just me.

I'm currently self-isolating at home in England as I tested positive yesterday. I hope to be out and about on Wednesday. The likelihood of my catching it again during April is slim, so I'm now prepared to risk the quarantine but I won't be forced into unwanted isolation in the middle of my stay.

• Like 2

Tourists from denmark so happy arriving norway for skiing.I see on news.They miss the norwegian mountains.The dansish families wery happy.And its so good we almost speak the same langue same swedish.Easy for travel.Thailand migth open next year i guess.

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

I was Triple vaxxed and took all precautions....Always wore a mask, social distanced, cleaned hands with alcohol gel many times daily.

I still caught it (2 weeks ago).

I think that just like the Common Cold..... It is not a matter of "If" you get it (Omicron).....It is WHEN you get it!....If you are not vaccinated then you may get really sick or worse!

I am glad I have had it so now I don't have to worry about catching it anymore! :thumbsup:

Good luck everyone!

2 of my kids get omicron.Both feeling great.Selfquarantene 4 days.

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Its not the first time the tourism sector is asking for relaxing of the requirements and allow more tourists in but those requests falls on deaf ears as long as the there are some government members who are, for their own incomprehensible reasons, bent on still keeping Thailand in a limbo of Yes we want tourists and No, you need to quarantine and do 2 PCR tests...

Brown envelopes keep piling up, and as long as they do, this unelected government will just keep it going, and don't forget, the students are waiting to start their protests again too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hotchilli said:

He's a General [as we see from his title] he thinks like a General, acts like a General and has no bl**dy idea like a General in politics.

Politics are not for any other kind of soldiers, generals or not, what's for them are their barracks and parade grounds, and that's where they should stay.

They don't have the brains for politics, we have seen that time and time again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stigar said:

2 of my kids get omicron.Both feeling great.Selfquarantene 4 days.

With Respect Stigar I am not a Kid anymore.....And Everyone knows that most kids have little if any problems caused by the Virus!

I am 64 and can assure you it has had a Negative affect on me!

For the record I did another ATK test tonight and it is still positive....13 days since my first positive test!

What your kids do or don't do is irrelavent!

I hope you don't catch it from them! :thumbsup:

And now I think I am going deaf!.....I can't hear anything Marina is saying???? 

Best wishes,

Troy!

image.jpeg.a520b5296733e2ad67953dd7b9485b79.jpegimage.jpeg.500f77abf0f09cff816889381109c276.jpeg

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Why $300 for a PCR test pre departure from US? Why not cheaper?

Prices have gone up unfortunately.  for $150 I could get one but it has been taking 3 to 5 days to get the results, not something I am willing to chance.  I want the results back the same day I test, ergo why it costs more.  Many folks are taking tests now as they have symptoms, I need it for travel and my insurance would only pay for it if a doctor sent me for the test....The PCR-RT test for travel was actually $299...lol

Edited by ThailandRyan

On 2/19/2022 at 8:34 AM, farangnomore said:

I don't see any sane tourist going to Thailand in any foreseeable future.  The ones who decide to jump through the hoops face high chances of getting spanked.  Welcome to Thailand.????

There were plenty wandering about soi Buakhao yesterday. Popular eateries doing good trade. 

• Like 1