Anutin: Thailand's handling of the pandemic "best in the world"

webfact

24 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Even in your fantasy world of Thai success real hospitalisations have quadrupled since the start of the year.

Your idea of success is pretty warped.

Omicron cases are high all over, nothing special for Thailand, however number of serious cases and death are lower than before.

In Europe a small country as Denmark with 1/12th of Thai population has a higher number of new recorded daily cases, 31,467 today, which would equal some 377,000 new cases if the number is compared to Thailands population. 553,342 active cases that would equal more than 6 million with a population of Thailand's size, of which only 37 are serious critical. equalizing some 440 cases compared to Thailand's population. 28 new deaths that could equal 330. It's Omicron and Denmark has stopped all Covid-restriction and fully opened the country.

So even Thailand makes fewer tests - number of tests has no meaning in comparison - Thailand is not so bad off with today reported 687 serious critical cases and 29 new deaths. For comparison UK, with a similar size of population as Thailand, has 128 new deaths today, but only 331 patients in serious critical condition. Germany, on the other hand has 2.494 in serious critical condition, which adjusted for size of population compares with Thailand as 2,000.

My point in my first comment is that even if some may not fancy khun Anutin - and even he sometimes makes some odd statements - then statistics talks in his favor here, Thailand has not performed that bad during the Covid-pandemic, when it comes to health and deaths...????

41 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Now you're just being dishonest. You were the  one who brought up flu to try and justify why Denmark had lower levels of excess deaths compared to Thailand, let me remind you of the post right here

In Denmark an influenza epidemic, like the one in 2017-2018, can kill more people during one season (2,822), than the Covid pandemic did in one year (total deaths in two years are 4,250).

As stated in my response its irrelevant comparing Denmark's flu numbers as a justification for low excess deaths compared to Thailand when you do not also have Thailand's flu numbers. So please explain this?

Or could it be as I maintain that is due to the effective testing Denmark is doing that captures most deaths compared to Thailand dismal record of testing, rather than bring flu into a covid thread as you stated above?

The influenza point is from official Danish sources to explain the excess number of deaths, that why it's mentioned, it's not a point of view from my side.

I got no idea - because I have no knowledge about it, and haven't checked it - if there has been less influenza cases in UK during the Covid-pandemic, and if it has any impact on excess number of deaths.

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The influenza point is from official Danish sources to explain the excess number of deaths, that why it's mentioned, it's not a point of view from my side.

I got no idea - because I have no knowledge about it, and haven't checked it - if there has been less influenza cases in UK during the Covid-pandemic, and if it has any impact on excess number of deaths.

Moot point because I had already responded to you with the fact that the flu had diminished in all countries that put Covid measures in place so this would be a factor for all excess deaths in those countries not just Denmark. You were comparing it to Thailand not the UK. You’ll get it eventually.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Your being dishonest again or just trolling.

Sorry, but I'm not dishonest, I relay statistics from ourworldindata.org. If you have better comparing sources, please share.

UK total vaccinated first dose in your link is 52,556.789 people of a population of 68,467.516 people, which is 76.76 percent. The percentage of 91,4 shown on the right in your link is of "population aged 12+".

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Sorry, but I'm not dishonest, I relay statistics from ourworldindata.org. If you have better comparing sources, please share.

UK total vaccinated first dose in your link is 52,556.789 people of a population of 68,467.516 people, which is 76.76 percent. The percentage of 91,4 shown on the right in your link is of "population aged 12+".

Your being dishonest.

Omicron requires a booster dose to be more effective.

UK nearly 70% boosted, Thailand about 26%.

Your twisting facts again, something you seem very apt at.

It would be amusing if it wasn't so pathetic.

The UK's boosting campaign is why we are going back to normal.

Meanwhile, Thailand's cases are on the rise.

You seem to live in a parallel universe.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n3079

This is why Thailand, Hong Kong etc are so far behind.

The developed world got boosted.

Edited by Cherrytreeview
Edit
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, candide said:

Maybe. However, when I was there in January/February 2020, there were plenty of foreigners there, including Chinese, Koreans, etc... and as you mentioned there were already some cases in January, and borders have only been closed at the end of March. In Italy, the pandemic probably started with one identified case, same for NY, and it diffused quickly. Actually no one really knows why SEA has not experienced an Alpha variant pandemic. NZ and Australia, It's another story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/world/asia/coronavirus-thailand-photos.html

In case all merits should be attributed  to the government's policy for the low first wave, which is doubtful, it remains that they did not manage well the next one.

There were one case January (14th if I remember right), a Chinese man, first case outside China. Took a while before the next case appeared, seemed like people didn't really fear the virus before later.

There are much we don't know about Covid. I'm not giving credits to the government or khun Anutin, I just say that Thailand has not performed - for whatever reason - as bad in statistic facts, as some posters wish...????

55 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Go back and look again at how many have been just vaccinated with one dose and compare that to those vaccinated with 2 doses and then a booster or more than one booster.  You might be surprised that Thailand has aggregated their numbers in order for it to appear they are where they are in your chart.  Many who were vaccinated with the initial Sinovac have since been re-vaccinated with the AZ and Pfizer, so those folks now have been vaccinated 4 times while others have not.  Statistical analysis will show you where your shortcomings and views on where they are (Thailand) based upon your graph supplied is incorrect.  The goalposts have changed many times here over the past 6 months as far as how they reached the 70% of the population being vaccinated etc...

The number in statistics are vaccinations, not makes or brands. We are not talking about which vaccines are the most efficient, in Europe and Israel - which is among the leading countries when it comes to Covid-vaccinations - people are having their 4th jab as even Pfizer, which many considers as an excellent vaccine, don't give long term protection. UK based their vaccination program on AZ, which Thailand also did, but until AZ became available they used Sinovac.

The graph is supposed to be up to date based on what the individual countries reports, it shows first jab or "partly vaccinated", and so-called "fully vaccinated" with two jabs. It the same for all countries in the graph; what vaccines do you think are used in China?

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The number in statistics are vaccinations, not makes or brands. We are not talking about which vaccines are the most efficient, in Europe and Israel - which is among the leading countries when it comes to Covid-vaccinations - people are having their 4th jab as even Pfizer, which many considers as an excellent vaccine, don't give long term protection. UK based their vaccination program on AZ, which Thailand also did, but until AZ became available they used Sinovac.

The graph is supposed to be up to date based on what the individual countries reports, it shows first jab or "partly vaccinated", and so-called "fully vaccinated" with two jabs. It the same for all countries in the graph; what vaccines do you think are used in China?

Except fully vaccinated includes a booster jab.

Telling porky pies again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Check official sources next time, Thailand is way behind the UK

image.png.e4358165f120b399a2f0f99a8a5c9b3c.png

image.png.76b823aa466104014515022c53a45004.png

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

https://media.thaigov.go.th/uploads/public_img/source/170265.pdf

No, you show "population aged 12+", both the graph and official Thai stat shows percentage of all population, UK is 76,76 percent of all population. The graph is correct. Both UK and Thailand are 76 percent, with UK slightly over Thailand when adding decimals.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

That strain of virus in the boxing stadium-cluster was said to come from a Thai migrant worker returning from Italy, which at that time suffered from a new Covid-mutation, different from the original milder Wuham-strain that was already in Thailand...

However, there were later doubt if the strain from Italy was more dangerous.

The second wave came with illegal migrant workers from Myanmar.

Unfortunately there are not anything better to compare with than official facts, what people believe is a private matter.

The delta wave started with HiSo clubs in Thonglor.

Your making stuff up again.

The WHO think border restrictions are a waste of time.

Your clutching for straws.

It is amusing though.

Edited by Cherrytreeview
Edit

21 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Your being dishonest.

Omicron requires a booster dose to be more effective.

UK nearly 70% boosted, Thailand about 26%.

Your twisting facts again, something you seem very apt at.

It would be amusing if it wasn't so pathetic.

The UK's boosting campaign is why we are going back to normal.

Meanwhile, Thailand's cases are on the rise.

You seem to live in a parallel universe.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n3079

This is why Thailand, Hong Kong etc are so far behind.

The developed world got boosted.

Nothing mentioned about booster, the graphs are correct.

Omicron arrived later in Thailand than Europe, so there is a delay in spread and number of cases compared to Europe. In some European countries the number of new cases hare hitting record high numbers at the moment - rising faster than Thailand, but cannot be easily compared due to number of performed Covid tests and asymptomatic cases - but omicron is less severe according to the experts, so reopening is happening.

Don't forget UK, with about same size of population as Thailand, reported 128 new Covid deaths today, and 34,377 new cases with a total of 1,807,714 active cases. Thailand reported 29 deaths, while number of cases might not be comparable at all due to fewer tests, but the number is lower than UK.

6 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Nothing mentioned about booster, the graphs are correct.

Omicron arrived later in Thailand than Europe, so there is a delay in spread and number of cases compared to Europe. In some European countries the number of new cases hare hitting record high numbers at the moment - rising faster than Thailand, but cannot be easily compared due to number of performed Covid tests and asymptomatic cases - but omicron is less severe according to the experts, so reopening is happening.

Don't forget UK, with about same size of population as Thailand, reported 128 new Covid deaths today, and 34,377 new cases with a total of 1,807,714 active cases. Thailand reported 29 deaths, while number of cases might not be comparable at all due to fewer tests, but the number is lower than UK.

Your talking nonsense.

You seem to think writing more flannel makes you right.

It doesn't. It's rubbish.

Thailand was appauling at its vaccine procurement and it's vaccine campaign.

Omicron spread within weeks throughout the globe.

Thailand still has about 26% of it's population boosted.

Who's fault is that? The UK's?

Why you don't accept the facts is beyond me.

Have another go, your trolling musings are very funny.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

The delta wave started with HiSo clubs in Thonglor.

Your making stuff up again.

The WHO think border restrictions are a waste of time.

You clutching for straws.

It is amusing though.

No, I'm referring to the official expressions of "waves", the second wave came from migrant workers in December 2020, while the third wave originated from the VVIP hi-so amusement area in Bangkok - Krystal Club and Emerald Club - end of March 2021 and escalated from April; which is the one you're thinking of.

4th and 5th wave ware not initially mentioned, but recently referred to Delta variant and Omicron variant.

What WHO may think, might be different from what countries with succesful border control experienced, ask what New Zealand and Australia think about that.

10 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Agree, but not in official statistics.

More riddles.

Now i want another laugh.

What about delta being spread through Thai HiSo clubs in Thonglor.

Let's see how you can link Cambodian immigrants, dirty foreigners at BKK and farangs not wearing masks into your next fairytale.

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

No, I'm referring to the official expressions of "waves", the second wave came from migrant workers in December 2020, while the third wave originated from the VVIP hi-so amusement area in Bangkok - Krystal Club and Emerald Club - end of March 2021 and escalated from April; which is the one you're thinking of.

4th and 5th wave ware not initially mentioned, but recently referred to Delta variant and Omicron variant.

What WHO may think, might be different from what countries with succesful border control experienced, ask what New Zealand and Australia think about that.

I would report you for trolling but to be honest i am beginning to feel sorry for you.

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Enjoy your incomplete view.  As I said the numbers you posted are total vaccinations per the population and not the breakdown by actual Jabs. @Bkk Brian has posted the information concerning this and shows how the stats and graph you posted are not entirely correct as the numbers state.  I also alluded to this in the fact that many have only been single jabbed with less double jabbed and then boosters 1 and 2 being added to the total vaccinations per million of the population.  Try again. Fewer people in Thailand have been double vaccinated than your graph shows.

Bkk Brian shows 76.1 percent 1st Jab, 70.9 percent 2nd jab - which is what the graphs shows - and 26.6 percent for 3rd jab, which is not included in the official comparison graphs. The graph is correct, so is Bkk Brian's percentage, it's the same.

The UK comparison is however misleading, as it shows percentage of population aged 12+, if you look at the number of people and the population of UK, then the percentage in the graph is correct.

27 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Your talking nonsense.

You seem to think writing more flannel makes you right.

It doesn't. It's rubbish.

Thailand was appauling at its vaccine procurement and it's vaccine campaign.

Omicron spread within weeks throughout the globe.

Thailand still has about 26% of it's population boosted.

Who's fault is that? The UK's?

Why you don't accept the facts is beyond me.

Have another go, your trolling musings are very funny.

No, Omicron, the 5th wave, had it's breakout in Thailand in January, I accept facts, 5th wave and January are HERE

I don't understand what you mean about "who's fault" and UK?

4 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

funny, Trump was trying to prosecute the press too, and this clown looks to be Thailand's Trump. 'everything' this builder does is 'always' the 'best' when it comes out of his mouth!  I'll bet big money he cheats on his taxes too????

there is a big difference between shutting down the press and making a legal challenge 

if you don't know the difference then you are are part for the problem 

everyone in a free society should be reasonably able to voice a free opinion within certain parameters but generally  it is called free speech  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

More riddles.

Now i want another laugh.

What about delta being spread through Thai HiSo clubs in Thonglor.

Let's see how you can link Cambodian immigrants, dirty foreigners at BKK and farangs not wearing masks into your next fairytale.

You are trolling me, I have no opinion about khun Anutin and what he has been saying or is saying.

You can still easily find all details in the news - it's no fairy tale - about 3rd wave, that began with the then so-called "British mutation B.1.1.7" (later named "Alfa", link HERE), and the escalation through Krystal Club and Emerald Club in amusement area in Bangkok end of March 2021.

The Indian virus variant B.1.617 (later named "Delta") had it's outbreak from May. it arrived with travellers from Pakistan (link HERE). 

Do your own Google search, for additional news stories, there are plenty and many hours amazing reading...:thumbsup:

My point in my first comment - and I repeat it again - is that even if some may not fancy khun Anutin - and even he sometimes makes some odd statements - then statistics talks in his favor here, Thailand has not performed that bad during the Covid-pandemic, when it comes to health and deaths...????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, khunPer said:

You are trolling me, I have no opinion about khun Anutin and what he 

My point in my first comment - and I repeat it again - is that even if some may not fancy khun Anutin - and even he sometimes makes some odd statements - then statistics talks in his favor here, Thailand has not performed that bad during the Covid-pandemic, when it comes to health and deaths...????

You do understand that Anutin has chosen to reduce testing so that the numbers don't look so bad. 

13 hours ago, Will B Good said:

The most 'reliable' indicator would seem to be based on excess deaths and therefore historical data (if it exists)

You are absolutely correct! However there is nothing preventing from massaging those figures the way they want them to look. It’s also going to be interesting to see the same data post covid from a post vaccination point of view.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

No, you show "population aged 12+", both the graph and official Thai stat shows percentage of all population, UK is 76,76 percent of all population. The graph is correct. Both UK and Thailand are 76 percent, with UK slightly over Thailand when adding decimals.

You keep missing the boosters which you graph does not show. Like I said, check official sources next time. 

• Thanks 1