Thai Tourism Minister insists on collecting 300 baht ‘land entry fee’ on all foreign visitors, says will be to help tourists and transparent

webfact

Sensing a potential change in government, they seem quite desperate to push this through, insuring perpetual generational income for themselves going forward.

Half expect other ministries to queue up for even more tourist fees...

Ministry of Edumacation, 100 baht to improve language skills

RTP, 200 baht, to look the other way, each tourist gets one free get out of jail card.

• Haha 2

I wish the wording used was consistent. Not all foreigners are tourists here. 

The words “foreign visitors” and “foreign tourists” being used interchangeably here just adds further ambiguity and confusion. 

• Like 2

"foreign visitors" as in the title, or "foreign tourist" as in the main body? So for instance, if a Cambodian/Burmese crosses the border to work in Thailand daily, he'll have to pay a 300 Baht fee each time?

Edited by SymS
vocabulary
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would expect the Covid insurance to remain for a spell, but at some point to be withdrawn. The insurances obligated by particular Visas, O-A, O-X and O-A Retirement Extensions is another consideration. 

Covid Insurance - another huge rip-off!!!!

Apply for an O-A   1 year Visa but if you want to stay only 6 months you still have to pay for the full year (according to Thai Consulate).

As far as I remember that would be the second or even the third entry fee to be collected from "tourists"

There was a time you had to buy a ticket in a machine on the airport, which eventually was loaded into the ticket price.

As far as I know the loading of a fee into the ticket price was done again.

So, this might be the third time.

Interesting is, of course, where this fee and for that matter the old fee(s) will be used for?

Is it for the use of state hospitals?

While paying double prices?

Well done, Thailand!

• Like 1

personally I don't have any problem with this 300 Baht tax, I don't see it putting people off and it wouldn't put me off. What I do have an issue is - is the official dual pricing at all the govt run tourist sites. Usually 10 times the price that Thai's pay. Even though I can prove I live here I must still pay 10 times the next person in line (if they are Thai). Totally unfair, unjust and just outright racist. But hey, I chose to live here!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Phiphat clarified that the money would be, according to him, used to buy insurance for travelers who visited Thailand, provide emergency services, and the remaining fee would be used as a fund for the tourism development, chaired by the Permanent Secretary. He also insisted that the collection process would be transparent and accountable to the public and not go into anyone’s “pocket”.

Yeah right. I believe him 5555555555555

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

personally I don't have any problem with this 300 Baht tax, I don't see it putting people off and it wouldn't put me off. What I do have an issue is - is the official dual pricing at all the govt run tourist sites. Usually 10 times the price that Thai's pay. Even though I can prove I live here I must still pay 10 times the next person in line (if they are Thai). Totally unfair, unjust and just outright racist. But hey, I chose to live here!

It's not just the 300 baht tax, but all the little things that might inconvenience me should I get on a plane to LOS. Added together, they put me off even thinking about going back, at the moment. Perhaps in a couple of years when the chaos is hopefully over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This is just balance things out of course, i.e. the departure tax recently went up from 500 baht to 700 baht, but why stop there, now they want to charge 300 baht to get in, so it's an even 1,000 baht per head, or an extra 500 baht per head increase, or 100%. 

There is no stopping greed, hmmm, wonder if expats will have to pay this 300 baht as we are not tourists. I think unless we have a Thai surname we are all tourists then, cough, cough.

https://travelhappy.info/thailand/thailand-airport-departure-tax-increases-to-700-baht/#:~:text=The Airports of Thailand authority,50 Baht to 100 Baht.

Did you read the article all the way through? It's been 700 baht for well over 15 years now. In that article it says that no need to keep 700 baht cash for departure any longer as since February 2007 (15 years ago!!) The tax is collected through the ticket. Screenshot_20220223-102217_Brave.thumb.jpg.75eb336149c455f5c861937bb7d81b0a.jpg

40 minutes ago, hansnl said:

As far as I remember that would be the second or even the third entry fee to be collected from "tourists"

There was a time you had to buy a ticket in a machine on the airport, which eventually was loaded into the ticket price.

As far as I know the loading of a fee into the ticket price was done again.

So, this might be the third time.

Interesting is, of course, where this fee and for that matter the old fee(s) will be used for?

Is it for the use of state hospitals?

While paying double prices?

Well done, Thailand!

You're talking about departure taxes, not entry taxes. Those go to the airport, and AFAIK there's not a single country in the world that doesn't collect departure tax. 

6 hours ago, nightfox said:

What's the big deal as just about every country in Asia charges a foreigner to enter their country. Only difference is Thailand calls a entry fee where most call it visa on arrival just like Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam as last time I checked it was $30 USD + to enter those countries. 

True but the things is they are already charging a fee or whatever they want to call it,  remember years back prior to departure you had to go to a machine put in 500 baht get a slip show it prior to checking out immigration.  

This f????e is for medical coverage?based on their numbers prior to Covid the amount they would collect would far exceed the lost they are claiming? 

If that is their reason justification as soon as they start collecting as long as Thailand Pass is in affect or any restrictions requiring Insurance be dropped at the same time but I wouldn't hold ones breath? 

As soon as they start collecting sooner than later their will be stories of tourist getting sick having accident and not paying that is guarantee outcome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

This f????e is for medical coverage?based on their numbers prior to Covid the amount they would collect would far exceed the lost they are claiming? 

There were claims of 100 million baht in unpaid medical bills, so ~ 350,000 tourists would pay that off with the new surcharge.

This, assuming tourists return at a reasonable clip, 25% pre-COVID, ~ 10 million will yield a cool 3 billion. 

My first question: So all tourists get free emergency medical care? (Uhm, no.)

• Like 1

Well that is this weeks news and next week he will tell you something different.No tourist for 2 years and  typical Thailand they need to get that revenue back all at once which has been lost.

It has been a common joke when tourist numbers are down some hotels charge more  to make up for the lack of numbers.As I have stated before my Dental treatment is on going and  when I have finished  with the Dental there will be no desire to go back.

There are many places around Asia and the World which offer good value for your money, Thailand has become complacent and the land of smiles is only if you are throwing money around in a bar or hotel  lobby receptionist or whatever you give tips too. Small tips are now frond upon and the 20 baht tip to the fat slob at the Nana  Hotel to  wheel your bag to your room is now 100 baht. It was some years ago  when I last stayed there  and the last for that matter.

Still every day planes arrive full of desperate  men looking for love  and every day  plane loads of poor men  leave heartbroken.

The Issan university has taught these nice girls how to extract that last Dollar in your pocket. Honestly what is 300 baht arrival tax in the scheme of things. I personally think the 300 baht should be increased to around 700 baht and that will include  the book "Private Dancer" a must read  for the  first timer.

5 hours ago, jcmj said:

So they are going to keep the Thai Pass so they can track you.  You have to have health insurance, And you get charged 100%+ more to go to any attractions. Sounds like a great place for a holiday. ????????

And pay a departure tax, before being let out

2 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Covid Insurance - another huge rip-off!!!!

Apply for an O-A   1 year Visa but if you want to stay only 6 months you still have to pay for the full year (according to Thai Consulate).

You have to have insurance to cover the period you would be stamped in for.... and of course in the case of an O-A Visa, that is a year. I have also heard, for eg, if you return with a Re-Entry permit, with 4-5 months expiry, but do not have Covid insurance to cover that period, you risk losing the extension and being stamped in as Exempt, 30 days.

• Haha 1

I suggest a 5,000 Baht fee; the few-and-far-between tourists will pay anything as all other tourists meanwhile have found out, that elsewhere there is also cheap(er), friendly(der) and (more) welcoming alternatives to Prathet Thai! 

What a farçe, a "landing fee"; what's next?