Which schools provide lesson plans/training?

noodleslayer

Hi, I have never taught before, but I'm looking to become an English teacher next year. I'm about to start studying Thai at a language school for around 11 months. I have been looking at Ajarn.com for schools and I've noticed some schools provide lesson plans, while other schools say that you have to make your own lesson plans. Obviously with no experience, I have no idea how to do this, and would want to start out at a school that would provide me with the lesson plans and training.

So far I've found that "Sine Education" provides teachers with lesson plans and powerpoints, so you don't have to worry about all of that. I've also read they provide training.

I'd love to hear about other companies that provide teachers with lesson plans and training so that I have more options to choose from if anyone has that information, thanks! And yes, I have a degree and from a native English speaking country.

Edited by noodleslayer

A couple of thoughts.

Studying Thai is not going to prepare you to Teach English to Thai students.

In fact if you look at the "teacher wanted" ads on Ajarn, none (or almost none) require fluency in the Thai language.

If your degree is not in educations you might look at a 120 hour in-class (as opposed to online) TEFL or TESOL course.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

A couple of thoughts.

Studying Thai is not going to prepare you to Teach English to Thai students.

In fact if you look at the "teacher wanted" ads on Ajarn, none (or almost none) require fluency in the Thai language.

If your degree is not in educations you might look at a 120 hour in-class (as opposed to online) TEFL or TESOL course.

Again, not what I'm looking for at all. And I never said I'm learning Thai in order to teach English.

8 minutes ago, ChristianBlessing said:

You might get a more appropriate and precise response to your question if you would indicate the sort of teaching you wish to do. 

What do you mean? In the first sentence, I said I wanted to do English teaching, or do you mean ages of the students? If so, it doesn't matter much to me.

I would bet zero schools offer what you expect.  An agency will take about 5k a month, which is the difference of 35 to 30,000.  Appearances are very important.  Likeability, very important.  Books will be provided.  It’s very, very, very easy.  Do you like apples?  Say that 10000 times.  Smile for pictures.  Don’t be late.  Don’t complain.  No speaking Thai, since parents want their kids to hear English.  This is teaching I’m Thailand.  Nobody changes the system.  Usually no air con, 40 kids a class.   Teaching?  I’m not sure.  Just inspire the kids.  Maybe you don’t like this honesty.  You’ll see.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

I would bet zero schools offer what you expect.  An agency will take about 5k a month, which is the difference of 35 to 30,000.  Appearances are very important.  Likeability, very important.  Books will be provided.  It’s very, very, very easy.  Do you like apples?  Say that 10000 times.  Smile for pictures.  Don’t be late.  Don’t complain.  No speaking Thai, since parents want their kids to hear English.  This is teaching I’m Thailand.  Nobody changes the system.  Usually no air con, 40 kids a class.   Teaching?  I’m not sure.  Just inspire the kids.  Maybe you don’t like this honesty.  You’ll see.

I've been reading about Sine... so this is actually an agency, and not a school? They take part of your salary?

If the OP is going to study Thai for almost a year BEFORE chasing down a teaching job, what's the big rush on getting these schools with lesson plan assurances?

Probably another "not the answer I want" response from the OP but there's something to be said  for learning to walk before running. More so when someone admits to having ZERO teaching experience.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If the OP is going to study Thai for almost a year BEFORE chasing down a teaching job, what's the big rush on getting these schools with lesson plan assurances?

Probably another "not the answer I want" response from the OP but there's something to be said  for learning to walk before running. More so when someone admits to having ZERO teaching experience.

Just looking for some information. What's with posters on here giving smart ass responses? If you don't know of any schools that provide lesson plans for the teachers, don't bother posting on my topic as it's just a useless reply

• Confused 1

And you didn’t say where you were ..

SmartEnglish in Bangkok are (, I gather, as I have never worked for them) a company that offer a package to schools that don’t have full time western teachers, they supply lessons and materials. They aren’t interested in older teachers. You may also find yourself sitting in a minivan in the morning and evening getting back home, but it might be a good starting point.

I am unsure what people are talking about with agencies, in 10+ years, I mostly worked for agencies, there are some bad ones, but, especially in the beginning I had an idea that I had to teach kids, which wasn’t in line with the schools and kids ideas and lasted one term in my first three jobs. The agency (my western boss) stuck by me and moved me to different schools. I later saw teachers struggling the same way I did while working directly with a school, they were dispatched within their probation period rather than supported and given advice and assistance. They don’t take money from you, you get paid 32-35K. If they take some of the money the school pay them, before they pay you, that’s life. I worked directly for plenty of schools that still paid 33K (often deducting imaginary tax and completion bonus (another word for illegal deduction to ensure you complete the term). Not saying all agencies are good, I was lucky.

Forget about learning Thai, it’s not a prerequisite and will only get you into trouble, not to say you shouldn’t be aware of your environment. Often kids English will be better than your Thai, so you are degrading yourself by speaking out on class. It’s an easy way to get dismissed.

Do a tefl, not just $20 online - however, let’s not confuse the idea that a tefl will give you the ability to teach, you need to educate and think for yourself.

Start to think how you can teach and not what you will teach. I would prefer to find a school where they have a projector and then incorporate sound and video into your lessons, but everyone is different, some teachers can get by with a white board pen and a smile. 

Sine are a Bangkok agency that send people out to Issan, correct?

I worked in the Deep South, but now I live in Issan, seems a different ball game, It seems agencies have got their hooks into most schools out here, I wouldn’t want to work for an agency or teach at a school here, looks very different to what I’m used to.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
44 minutes ago, noodleslayer said:

Just looking for some information. What's with posters on here giving smart ass responses? If you don't know of any schools that provide lesson plans for the teachers, don't bother posting on my topic as it's just a useless reply

Your attitude is poor.

It is apparent you are trying to be a teacher because you have no other financial means to stay in Thailand.

With your attitude, if and that is a big if, you ever got hired in the first place, you won't last more than a week in the Thai school system.

If anyone is a smart ass it is a person wanting to be a teacher that has no clue.

In case you are not that swift? 

Forums are for people for provide THEIR own responses. 

If you don't like their responses, too bad, that is how the whole system works.

No one here works for you or owes you anything.

Check yourself.

4 hours ago, noodleslayer said:

lesson plans

Thats one of the hardest parts of teaching.

That preparation can takes most of your weekend (time off).

If you can find a school willing to do your lesson planning for you go for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrJ2U said:

You'll be lucky not to have to pay for your own chalk to use on the 20 year old chalkboard.

Exactly - but having the choice, not having to worry about taking a job, this is what I would look for.

There is a thread about the best WB pens in the forum, you will see some varied responses there.

I think that projectors or TVs in classrooms aren't so rare these days. TCR Flatscreen TVs seem to broadcast school news in the morning or central lessons, you can always carry a long HDMI cable and plug it in.

For me Chalk is good too .. The last two terms I did in village schools in the middle of coconut plantations in areas that I didn't know existed, tiny classes, often 3-10 kids per pratom level, a different school every day. The boards had bald patches, the chalk was supplied along with a great lunch. A really enjoyable experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

I think that projectors or TVs in classrooms aren't so rare these days.

Probably.

It's been 15 years since I taught.  VCR's were still around with a smattering of DVD's. 

You probably could just get great class planners online, they probably even have paid sites for those.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Most of what you wrote is rubbish. Do that I'm not here sell day I'll pick out just one comment.

Agencies don't take 5000 of your salary. The salary you get will be clearly stated in your contract. What they do is charge the school more.

@Noodleslayer. Contact Sine. They are a good agency. All lessons are planned and on multi media. A week of training is held in Bangkok prior to teaching. A co ordination, Thai but English speaking, is present at every school to help out too.

All paperwork for visa, extension of stay and work permit is taken care of and the fees are paid by Sine too. 

They have many schools in Bangkok and surrounding areas, many in Isaan and a few down Hua Hin way.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, noodleslayer said:

Again, not what I'm looking for at all. And I never said I'm learning Thai in order to teach English.

Why on earth would you learn Thai to teach English? And would you learn Arabic to teach in Saudi? And if teaching a mixed language class which language would you choose?

7 hours ago, noodleslayer said:

Learning how to make lesson plans is taught on all real TEFL/TESOL courses and in preparation for assessment,  evaluation and observations a lesson plan will be expected and will part of that which is examined and assessed. With International House or the BC learning how to make a lesson will be one of the first things you learn before you do your classroom teaching practice.

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Most of what you wrote is rubbish. Do that I'm not here sell day I'll pick out just one comment.

Agencies don't take 5000 of your salary. The salary you get will be clearly stated in your contract. What they do is charge the school more.

@Noodleslayer. Contact Sine. They are a good agency. All lessons are planned and on multi media. A week of training is held in Bangkok prior to teaching. A co ordination, Thai but English speaking, is present at every school to help out too.

All paperwork for visa, extension of stay and work permit is taken care of and the fees are paid by Sine too. 

They have many schools in Bangkok and surrounding areas, many in Isaan and a few down Hua Hin way.

I worked for an agency and they took 5000 a month.  So, I know what I’m saying.  You don’t know every agency.  Agencies tell schools he’s a master teacher….lol…then the school gets mad when he has never taught before.  I’ve seen maybe 20 teachers fired.   My school told me to fire my agent once my contract expired.  Some agencies can block you from working at the same school.  Mine didn’t.  I immediately got a 5000 raise.   The school pays them more, but you feel like garbage when the agency does nothing for a year.   I never met a teacher who preferred an agency.    I don’t want them controlling me from a far.    Some teachers tell the Thai teachers….don’t ask me, call my agency.  That works horribly.    One agency told three teachers the school was kindergarten.  It was a high school.

16 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

I worked for an agency and they took 5000 a month.  So, I know what I’m saying.  You don’t know every agency.  Agencies tell schools he’s a master teacher….lol…then the school gets mad when he has never taught before.  I’ve seen maybe 20 teachers fired.   My school told me to fire my agent once my contract expired.  Some agencies can block you from working at the same school.  Mine didn’t.  I immediately got a 5000 raise.   The school pays them more, but you feel like garbage when the agency does nothing for a year.   I never met a teacher who preferred an agency.    I don’t want them controlling me from a far.    Some teachers tell the Thai teachers….don’t ask me, call my agency.  That works horribly.    One agency told three teachers the school was kindergarten.  It was a high school.

Then don't work for s#@t agencies. As soon as they took 5000 from you, you should have run.

Good agencies are great to work for. Many teachers prefer them to direct hires. You just need you avoid the con artists. It's not difficult.

18 hours ago, noodleslayer said:

What do you mean? In the first sentence, I said I wanted to do English teaching, or do you mean ages of the students? If so, it doesn't matter much to me.

There are English teachers who teach non-English students how to speak/read/write English (TESOL, TEFL, etc). There are also English teachers who teach in a traditional, content-based school, teaching the finer points of English along with English literature, to native English speakers. If the latter, you will most certainly be expected to prepare your own lesson plans. I can't speak to the former, as I've never done so.

It was not clear to me which of these you desire to do.

Edited by ChristianBlessing
clarity