Thai students win international award for space technology

snoop1130

So, those students basically suggested that someone "... could easily add Dsup Protein through genetic modification (to roundworms)" before sending them on MINERVA CubeSat, travelling in a low earth orbit....

Wow!! I knew that Thai students are good at finding information online, and combining ideas. Actually, I just wanted to suggest the same project after reading a couple of science articles online! - So, will they have to share the award with me??

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Their objective was to put small living animals in the MINERVA CubeSat, travelling to low earth orbit, and to observe how C. elegans (Caenorhabditis elegans) with Dsup Protein (Damage Suppressor Protein) can stand against space radiation.

Sounds like the plot line for a new Thai Quatermass movie to me

They should have enlisted the help of a geometry student to help them understand the definition of a 'cube'.

Their 'cubes' are described as..... consists of six aluminium cubes, 30cm in height, 20cm in length ......    Better known as 'a rectangle' ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

First reply and typical of this place.  Negative, condescending and bitter.

So how many awards from international organisations have you won for your scientific studies or indeed anything else??  

From the article:  The project won the award at the 7th Mission Idea Contest, in Tokyo, Japan, which was held by UNISEC-Global, an international non-profit body for space science and innovation for peace.

You really think they accept things copied off the internet and that is all there is to it?  Really, get a life.

The knockers have been on a roll for to long to change. Give them a break it takes time and more good news stories. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Actually a rectangle is a two dimensional shape that forms a face on a three dimensional one.

You are thinking of a cuboid.

A cube is a type of cuboid…

So it would appear these award winning students know what they are talking about. 

What is the length of the 3rd dimension of the cube/cuboid?

Lets call it the width, or maybe the depth.

Just so we know the volume.

"“MINERVA” consists of six aluminium cubes, 30cm in height, 20cm in length and 10-12kg in weight."

Edited by Enoon

19 minutes ago, Enoon said:

What is the length of the 3rd dimension of the cube/cuboid?

Lets call it the width, or maybe the depth.

Just so we know the volume.

"“MINERVA” consists of six aluminium cubes, 30cm in height, 20cm in length and 10-12kg in weight."

It’s not the students fault the report doesn’t mention that. They were obviously referring to cubes/cuboids when discussing their project. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

They should have enlisted the help of a geometry student to help them understand the definition of a 'cube'.

Their 'cubes' are described as..... consists of six aluminium cubes, 30cm in height, 20cm in length ......    Better known as 'a rectangle' ????

You've already been spanked for your misunderstanding of 'a rectangle', so I'll just give you the science.

They are using 'Cubesats', a modular microsatellite system based on a 10x10x10cm *cube* standard called a 1U Cubesat.  If you need more space, you use additional 10x10x10 volumes making 2U, 3U sizes, etc.  These standard size payloads fit into standard slots in the mother satellite deployment system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CubeSat

Edited by mwbrown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

You've already been spanked for your misunderstanding of 'a rectangle', so I'll just give you the science.

They are using 'Cubesats', a modular microsatellite system based on a 10x10x10cm *cube* standard called a 1U Cubesat.  If you need more space, you use additional 10x10x10 volumes making 2U, 3U sizes, etc.  These standard size payloads fit into standard slots in the mother satellite deployment system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CubeSat

More! More! I'm  a masochist...????

On 2/24/2022 at 9:03 AM, PETERTHEEATER said:

The dimensions are for the Minerva spacecraft, which is composed of 10 centimeter (100 mm) cubes. When added together, the spacecraft is 20cm X 30cm.

56 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The dimensions are for the Minerva spacecraft, which is composed of 10 centimeter (100 mm) cubes. When added together, the spacecraft is 20cm X 30cm.

It's been a long time since I've seen someone put so nicely and repeatedly in to their place on this forum.  It gives me faith.

• Like 1