Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Firstly I haven't been "called out" on anything; secondly I can say anything not against forum rules and thirdly the topic isn't me.

All you did was waste pixels attacking me personally.

I disagree, you failed to respond to my post here

https://aseannow.com/topic/1251459-assault-on-kiev-russian-helicopters-swoop-above-ukraines-capital/?do=findComment&comment=17304556

Very clearly calling out your false equivalence on the UK carriers and the sinking of the Moskva. 

Can you provide a link to my personal attacks?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Putin takes revenge for sunken Russian ship and bombs Kyiv in new onslaught

VLADIMIR PUTIN's troops have hit a military plant in Kyiv and will intensify attacks on the region in response to Ukrainian attacks on Russian targets, the Russian Defence Ministry has said.

Daily Express

3 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Putin takes revenge for sunken Russian ship and bombs Kyiv in new onslaught

VLADIMIR PUTIN's troops have hit a military plant in Kyiv and will intensify attacks on the region in response to Ukrainian attacks on Russian targets, the Russian Defence Ministry has said.

Daily Express

If as he has advised it was a fire on board, why does he need to bomb Kyiv?

There is not only no logic in the bombing, he is contradicting himself, does not see the signs of mental ill health ?

Signs of desperation from a megalomaniac 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

There is not only no logic in the bombing, he is contradicting himself, does not see the signs of mental ill health ?

Lets also not forget this is the second key naval vessel lost to Ukraine missiles.

According to British intelligence, the loss of two key warships destroyed the position of the Russian fleet in the Black Sea. Russia will likely have to reconsider its naval tactics.

FQYGeY6XIAAhnmL.jpg.d6550b43d44e0f3d2170c304b4ae751b.jpg

• Like 2

Russians allegedly exhuming bodies in Mariupol - city council

City officials in Mariupol say Russian occupiers have begun exhuming bodies buried in the yards of residential blocks.

Mariupol City Council said on Telegram that the occupiers are not allowing residents to bury people allegedly killed by the occupiers. There are 13 mobile crematoria in Mariupol, according to Ukraine, and the city authorities suspect the Russians are trying to cover up war crimes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61101906

Edited by Bkk Brian
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

There is no mention of sinking the Volga here, the official reason is that Ukraine apparently bombed several Russian border villages (which Ukraine denies), and bombing Kyiv was in retaliation of that. But we all know the true reason: Putin threw a hissy fit because Ukraine sank his battleship and he wants revenge! 

Edited by rudi49jr
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

There is no mention of sinking the Volga here, the official reason is that Ukraine apparently bombed several Russian border villages (which Ukraine denies), and bombing Kyiv was in retaliation of that. But we all know the true reason: Putin threw a hissy fit because Ukraine sank his battleship and he wants revenge! 

The ministry also said that it had taken over the Ilyich Steel Plant in the besieged port city of Mariupol, which has been encircled by Russian troops for weeks. In a statement, the ministry said: "The number and scale of missile strikes on targets in Kyiv will increase in response to any terrorist attacks or acts of sabotage on Russian territory committed by the Kyiv nationalist regime. This follows the news that Russia's flagship, the Moskva sunk.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1596414/ukraine-live-vladimir-putin-Sergei-Shoigu-heart-attack-russia-moskva-ship-sink-latest

• Sad 1

There does exist the sad reality of Putin's opening statement and declaration of hostilities that any resistance or retaliation would  be met with an exacerbated response. There is  no justification in that for acts of punitive illegal activity in any form but it can not be ignored when and where deliberate targeting of  civilians results in death and injury is reprehensible.

What does  become debatable in when in response to  hostilities  the  generic  conscription of a population provided with arms, ammunition and a uniform confirming  a military status and an individual feeling  empowered behaves in the manner of a sniper positioned in a civilian residential complex attracts superior firepower .

This  showdown is based on geopolitical influences that are well beyond the parameters of the plebeian perception of democratic process.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, tgw said:

even in 1990, there were plenty of Russian territories with a disputed status.

There were not any. Nobody ever considered attacking a nuclear power like Russia. But Russia is still an empire keeping within itself dozens of nationalities and their historic territories. The last empire which should be broken up! All those, so called, Russian “security concerns” are a part of their propaganda. Ukraine presented no threat to Russia before it was attacked. 

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 1

As the war is in a new phase, this seems to me to be a reasonably comprehensive and objective of why its focused in Donbas. Yes its from CNN. So sue me.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/15/europe/donbas-region-ukraine-war-russia-explainer-intl/index.html

Donbas, Ukraine's ravaged heartland, has suffered eight years of warfare. Here's why Putin wants it

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nojohndoe said:

There does exist the sad reality of Putin's opening statement and declaration of hostilities that any resistance or retaliation would  be met with an exacerbated response. There is  no justification in that for acts of punitive illegal activity in any form but it can not be ignored when and where deliberate targeting of  civilians results in death and injury is reprehensible.

What does  become debatable in when in response to  hostilities  the  generic  conscription of a population provided with arms, ammunition and a uniform confirming  a military status and an individual feeling  empowered behaves in the manner of a sniper positioned in a civilian residential complex attracts superior firepower .

This  showdown is based on geopolitical influences that are well beyond the parameters of the plebeian perception of democratic process.

Debatable but without the facts of evidenced incidents of this then speculation as much as it would be speculation without evidence that Russian's had hidden snipers in residential complex's.

Besides which as the ICC Chief Prosecutor said, they are going after the low hanging fruit first for war crime convictions so justice starts to happen. There are plenty of very well evidenced incidents for this in Bucha and other places.

Khan said his team will start with investigating obvious crimes, which he called "low hanging fruit", in an effort to speed up the prosecution.

The OSCE is also compiling and evidencing all war crimes and atrocities.

1 hour ago, Hellfire said:

There were not any. Nobody ever considered attacking a nuclear power like Russia. But Russia is still an empire keeping within itself dozens of nationalities and their historic territories. The last empire which should be broken up! All those, so called, Russian “security concerns” are a part of their propaganda. Ukraine presented no threat to Russia before it was attacked.

nope, there were many.

starting with the Kuril Islands, Finland borders (inkl. Karelia), Chinese borders, Baltic States borders, the Barents Sea are the major ones concerning Russia itself.

The Soviet Union had many more territorial disputes.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

Russia warned US of "unpredictable consequences" if weapons shipments to Ukraine continue, sources say 

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-04-15-22/index.html

I'm scared Putin wants to play with the red button.

I hope the strategists have a good plan in case crazy Vlad nukes Ukraine.

But all scenarios look terrible in that event.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, tgw said:

nope, there were many.

starting with the Kuril Islands, Finland borders (inkl. Karelia), Chinese borders, Baltic States borders, the Barents Sea are the major ones.

Have you ever heard Finns or somebody from the Baltic states expressing their will to take back their historic lands from the Russian occupation? As far as I know - almost all Russian neighbors’ only dream is that Russia forgets that their countries even exist! Japanese? Yes, they have those islands they want to have back. But I never ever heard  the Japanese ever threatened Russia about any military action in that regard. Their only hope was always Russia to give it back as a good will gesture. Never anything else. 

Edited by Hellfire

17 minutes ago, tgw said:

Russia warned US of "unpredictable consequences" if weapons shipments to Ukraine continue, sources say 

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-04-15-22/index.html

Sheer desperation.

10 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

Have you ever heard Finns or somebody from the Baltic states expressing their will to take back their historic lands from the Russian occupation? As far as I know - almost all Russian neighbors’ only dream is that Russia forgets that their countries even exist! Japanese? Yes, they have those islands they want to have back. But I never ever heard  the Japanese ever threatened Russia about any military action in that regard. Their only hope was always Russia to give it back as a good will gesture. Never anything else. 

Isn't that because Japan doesn't have an army and its forbidden from settle international disputes with war ? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tgw said:

You can never totally exclude this to happen. But, my own beliefs are that the nuclear threat is just another bluff of the Empire of Lies which is a modern Russia. This nuclear war scenario was much more possible in the Soviet times. Those Soviet partocrats had some ideology to support their actions. Modern Russian elite is all about money and anything good it can buy. Nothing in between. And, as I wrote above, those “security threats” stuff is nothing but a propaganda ( targeted at the Russian population) and people like Putin are not really feeling threatened by anybody or anything from the outside world. 

Edited by Hellfire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Isn't that because Japan doesn't have an army and its forbidden from settle international disputes with war ? 

No. Even if they had a great army - would they ever attack Russia for those tiny islands in the ocean? Don’t think so.

China? They are already making their peaceful invasion into the far parts of Russia. But this is another story.

Edited by Hellfire

2 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

"beyond the parameters of the plebeian perception of democratic process". Why would you think that? Apart from the sentence not being comprehensible English, that is? The word parameter is used out of context here.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

No. Even if they had a great army - would they ever attack Russia for those tiny islands in the ocean? Don’t think so.

China? They are already making their peaceful invasion into the far parts of Russia. But this is another story.

The Islands consist of over 10 000 square kilometers of land and are spread over 1000 kilometers long and they belong to Japan and Japan wants them back .

Russia stole the islands after WW2 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Russia already has nuclear weapons in the Baltic region, says Lithuania

Russia already has nuclear weapons in the Baltic region, Lithuanian Defence Minister Arvydas Anusauskas said on Thursday.

One of Russian President Vladimir Putin's closest allies warned NATO on Thursday that if Sweden and Finland joined the U.S.-led military alliance then Russia would have to bolster its defences in the region, including by deploying nuclear weapons. read more

Anusauskas told Lithuania's BNS wire that nuclear weapons have been deployed in Russia's Kaliningrad exclave on the Baltic Sea since before the current crisis.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-already-has-nuclear-weapons-baltic-region-says-lithuania-2022-04-14/

• Like 1