Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A battle lost doesn't mean the war is lost.

Only need to look at Britain beginning of WW2, Disastrous retreat to Dunkirk and almost the entire army captured, but rebuilt over next 3 years to defeat the Germans.

IMO some posters read far too much into too little.

One has to look at which side can last the distance in a long war. If the NATO countries currently sending arms decide the cost is too high, and stop- what then for Ukraine?

If the current financial situation deteriorates, will taxpayers continue to accept spending billions to support a war they are not even fighting in?

I've seen some Russian (presumed propaganda, but still) commenters saying there will be a big Russian push after the New Year.  I have to agree that the message (also presumed to be borne of propaganda) that Russia is on the ropes is dangerous and counter-productive.  Plus the other concerns you raise are real and ongoing.  

This agreeing with you seems to be happening more often- are you softening or should I be worried? lol.

Great clarity of some of these satellite images from Mariupol. More in the article, one particular is the theater where so many civilians were killed by a Russian missile. The have erected a massive screen around the whole complex.

But as for the new Russian army base in Mariupol, its even got a star as a target for the Ukraine HIMARS.....lol

Ukraine war: New images show Russian army base built in occupied Mariupol

The newly constructed Russian military base in Mariupol

Russia is consolidating its military presence in the captured port city of Mariupol by constructing a large army base, satellite photos released from the Earth observation company Maxar appear to show.

The new, U-shaped compound sits near the centre of the city. On its roof, the red, white and blue star of the Russian army can be seen, with letters reading "From the Russian army to the people of Mariupol".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63846154

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Slip said:

I've seen some Russian (presumed propaganda, but still) commenters saying there will be a big Russian push after the New Year.  I have to agree that the message (also presumed to be borne of propaganda) that Russia is on the ropes is dangerous and counter-productive.  Plus the other concerns you raise are real and ongoing.  

This agreeing with you seems to be happening more often- are you softening or should I be worried? lol.

LOL.

I make no claim to be right on anything- mostly opinion, but I try to avoid believing the BS.

Russia- huge country, nuclear arsenal, loads of resources, history of being terrible at war, but winning by sheer force of numbers and General Winter. Napoleon and Hitler learned the same lesson.

Were it not for western weapons likely over already, and Europe/ US possibly heading for recession/ possibly worse. Who can best stay the course over years? IMO Europeans/ Americans will not stand to see billions spent for Ukraine while they freeze, go without. On Al Jazeera this morning Macron warning the French they may suffer power cuts.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/world-all-news/331849/french-president-macron-warns-of-power-cuts

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

it won't happen because the 1st launch will be the last Moscow will be reduced to Ash.

and you know that because? NATO, IMO, has no justification to use nuclear weapons against Russia if they only use them in Ukraine, a non NATO country, and the fall out does not affect a NATO country.

I'm glad that some of the posters on here are not in charge, lest we all be ash by now.

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

This is a false equivalence. In both cases Russia was brutally invaded and had every reason to fight. This time, Putin and his thugs wrongly invaded a legally sovereign country. The Russian people do not want this war and even the Russian military is deeply unhappy about the position they're in. They have gone from justly fighting Napoleons and Hitlers to illegal invasions, war crimes, and loosing. They are not happy.

Being "unhappy" has little significance in a dictatorship the Russian Federation.

Has any Russian from Crimea to Afghanistan been happy to become cannon fodder in the Russian military? The Russian military is not noted for being a warm and fuzzy organisation where conscripts sit around the camp fire singing Kumbaya.

9 minutes ago, rabas said:

You need to read Milton Bardeen's rebuttal at the bottom of the article. It disassembles the whole premise.  Bardeen was the CIA's Chief of Station in Pakistan during the war and noted Afgan war expert. A case of academic versus someone who knows the facts.

"Alan J. Kuperman's proposition, based on archival evidence, that Gorbachev was ready to withdraw from Afghanistan in 1986 is simply not supported by the historical fact of a vigorous and brutal Soviet prosecution of the war until 1988. "

"And Kuperman's characterization of the Soviets' having developed successful countermeasures to the Stinger -- flares, beacons, and exhaust baÛes -- is contradicted by overwhelming evidence from U.S., Soviet, and Afghan sources."

We'll have to disagree then. Any missile system can be negated given time and resources. I read long ago that the Russians had overcome the Stinger problem and have no trouble believing that.

Any CIA official's public hypothesis is suspect IMO, because it would be bad for their career prospects to be in the wrong. It was far better for Milton Bardeen's career if the US missiles won the war, than if a new Soviet leader just gave up.

Do you believe that the US would hand over technology that could be used to defeat their own air force when ( not if ) it was captured by the Russians?

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

I make no claim to be right on anything- mostly opinion, but I try to avoid believing the BS.

Russia- huge country, nuclear arsenal, loads of resources, history of being terrible at war, but winning by sheer force of numbers and General Winter. Napoleon and Hitler learned the same lesson.

Were it not for western weapons likely over already, and Europe/ US possibly heading for recession/ possibly worse. Who can best stay the course over years? IMO Europeans/ Americans will not stand to see billions spent for Ukraine while they freeze, go without. On Al Jazeera this morning Macron warning the French they may suffer power cuts.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/world-all-news/331849/french-president-macron-warns-of-power-cuts

this time no use of IF however still using the BUT, besides that the usual delusional comments, keep it up

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

But we must see the possibility of Putin using nuclear weapons from his perspective, his values, of which rationality is but one part. 

Should we back down faced with a madman prepared to destroy the world rather than lose face?

nothing to worry about, the guy is pooping on his pants  555

Wild new claim about Putin 'falling and soiling himself' emerges

Vladimir Putin soiled himself ....

According to the account, the Russian president landed on his coccyx — otherwise known as the tailbone — prompting him to “involuntarily defecate”

https://au.yahoo.com/news/wild-new-claim-about-putin-falling-and-soiling-himself-emerges-051335491.html

• Like 1

All over twitter and........................

Russia has begun a new missile attack, Ukrainian Air Force says

Russian forces have launched a fresh set of missiles towards Ukraine, according to Ukrainian officials.

“We see that strategic bombers have taken off and the first wave of missiles was already launched,” said Yurii Ihnat, spokesman for the Ukrainian Air Force.

There may be several waves of attacks, added Ihnat.

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-12-05-22/h_c471b8fed34dfe37ac1349014e642977

• Like 1