NSC Dismisses Lockdown Plan, Calls It Last Resort

webfact

8e5341b5bd9d896c683ab4531e3e651d_small.jpg

by Natthaphon  Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The National Security Council (NSC) has said there will not be another lockdown to curb COVID-19 infections unless it was the only option remaining.

NSC Secretary-General Gen Supoj Malaniyom made the announcement amid a surge of Omicron coronavirus cases, adding that the number of new cases is likely to drop next month.

The NSC chief also said Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered provincial governors to tackle local clusters through administrative mechanisms. The government expects the number of new cases to decline in March, with close-to-normal livelihoods to return in time for the Songkran Festival in April.

He further noted that the government did not intend to impose travel restrictions for this year’s Songkran holidays, though gatherings, parties and other high-risk activities would still be discouraged.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-02-28

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered provincial governors to tackle local clusters through administrative mechanisms. The government expects the number of new cases to decline in March,

I may be stupid, but I thought that Medical treatment was needed in such situations.

Not a massaging of the numbers

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

They would be insane to consider another lockdown at this point. The majority are vaccinated and Omicron is a relatively mild strain.

Don't rule anything out, I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility of additional lockdowns, curfews, etc inside Thailand, in fact I kind of expect it at some point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The National Security Council (NSC) has said there will not be another lockdown to curb COVID-19 infections unless it was the only option remaining.

But it will give provinces the choice, which some have already made.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Don't rule anything out, I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility of additional lockdowns, curfews, etc inside Thailand, in fact I kind of expect it at some point.

Some provinces have already made harsher restrictions.

• Like 1

The NSC chief also said Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered provincial governors to tackle local clusters through administrative mechanisms.

"....through administrative mechanisms."   What does that mean?   Maybe fight COVID using more bureaucratic paperwork, cook the COVID stats, etc?