Anyone give their dog Probiotics?

giddyup

My dog has severe itching problems, if he's not rubbing his face (and taking off hair), he's licking his paws or scratching his ears. He's been checked and had many tests by vets here, but it seems they only want you to spend more money without ever getting a result. I read that Probiotics can be good to restore a balance in the gut and help with itching, so anything is worth a try. I'm thinking half a small bottle of Yakult mixed with some yoghurt every day?

Licking paws in not strange, especially if walking on a lot of concrete or asphault.   Ears need to be cleaned occassionally, earbuds will do that, no chemical (alcohol/peroxcide/ zip-nothing).  My dog does that, wife tends to her ears, if she / dog is paying to much attenton to them.

Scratching till fur comes out is an issue.   Flea or flea excrement aggitating skin, or simply alergic to something, bedding or where ever it sits or sleeps often.  Try covering favorite spots with a different material / fabric.  

Could also be a fungus or mold, from sitting out side (think jock itch), maybe bathe with a vinegar & water final rinse.  

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Licking paws in not strange, especially if walking on a lot of concrete or asphault.   Ears need to be cleaned occassionally, earbuds will do that, no chemical (alcohol/peroxcide/ zip-nothing).  My dog does that, wife tends to her ears, if she / dog is paying to much attenton to them.

Scratching till fur comes out is an issue.   Flea or flea excrement aggitating skin, or simply alergic to something, bedding or where ever it sits or sleeps often.  Try covering favorite spots with a different material / fabric.  

Could also be a fungus or mold, from sitting out side (think jock itch), maybe bathe with a vinegar & water final rinse.  

Licking paws until they bleed is a problem, and his ears get cleaned regularly, no fleas or ticks, but definitely allergy, that's why I asked about Probiotics. Also tried vinegar in the final rinse.

Edited by giddyup

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

from one old member to another,i wouldnt give any milk product to a dog,TOO many side affects to consider.

He isn't lactose intolerant, he loves milk and yoghurt a couple of times a week.