Advice For Visa Runners who were on multiple covid extensions: Do not return as 'visa exempt'

7 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

It happens more often than you would guess. Any futile reasons may be invoked, the most frequent one is "alien has no ways or funds to sustain himself in the Kingdom for 30 days" they stamp you with that, deny you entry in the Kingdom, flag you in their systems database and you're being sent back home.

Which is why the only sensible thing to do is to always carry 20,000 baht in cash on you. They do not care if you have bank assets, credit cards, debit cards, Thai book banks, Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency portfolio, they want to see hard cash.

When one lands to Suvarnabhumi airport, the first thing to do is to reach out to an ATM machine and withdraw 20,000 THB with you, then you carry on onto the immigration lane, not the other way around.

And yes, there a few ATM machines before the immigration desks.

As far as I know there are no ATMs prior to immigration in Suvarnabhumi Airport, only currency exchange booths. However, if you have seen any can you please advise the concourse location and how recently this was...thanks

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, markeewan said:

As far as I know there are no ATMs prior to immigration in Suvarnabhumi Airport, only currency exchange booths. However, if you have seen any can you please advise the concourse location and how recently this was...thanks

Just bring the cash with you when you board the flight. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

A lot of people get education visas just to stay in Thailand long-term, without actually studying. Isn't that abuse?

They may even attend classes, but their real goal is just to stay in Thailand, not to study.

Immigration is aware of that and is putting checks like testing their Thai language skills before the renewal of their extension every 3 months or looking at their attendance. I've known at least one person who didn't get his renewal because he failed the test.

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

To claim vagueness of legislation, or questionable behavior of border officials, as an excuse to abuse the system is disingenuous

How many visa entries can you make in a given period eg year.

There is no rule with a limit.

I call that vague. Just one example. 

Why did Thai government extend the issue of covid extensions from Jan 25.

Where there no flights out and as a result extended their issue. 

Love the "d word" so overused on AseanNow now but has a nice ring to it..

Edited by DrJack54

10 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

unless a dodgy visa agent screwed you on your covid extension by triggering a red flag)

You would know if a "Dodgy  visa agent" was used exiting the country.  They check youre passport and stamps before departure. 

Best to use reputable agents and not some guy you met down a dark alley.

34 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How many visa entries can you make in a given period eg year.

There is no rule with a limit.

I call that vague. Just one example. 

Why did Thai government extend the issue of covid extensions from Jan 25.

Where there no flights out and as a result extended their issue. 

Love the "d word" so overused on AseanNow now but has a nice ring to it..

Again, abusing the system to live long term in a foreign country because of vagueness in the law and it's interpretation by individual officials, is fraught with risk. Whining about it when it becomes more difficult is dumb.  (A "d" word) 

I commented on these pages some time ago about the possibility of tightened entry  rules following the border closures.

Never any sympathy from this 800k baht, enforced scam insurance buying, temporary entrant.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Again, abusing the system to live long term in a foreign country because of vagueness in the law and it's interpretation by individual officials, is fraught with risk. Whining about it when it becomes more difficult is dumb.  (A "d" word) 

I commented on these pages some time ago about the possibility of tightened entry  rules following the border closures.

Never any sympathy from this 800k baht, enforced scam insurance buying, temporary entrant.

Yes...they were already doing these hassle tactics before the pandemic began.  Now that visa runs are becoming viable again(albeit with additional hoops to jump through such as T-pass, covid tests, etc.), it seems that the immigration gatekeepers are back at it. 

Pre-pandemic, the conventional wisdom was for visa-runners by air should arrive elsewhere(Chiang Mai, Phuket, Surat Thani) rather than Bangkok.  The pandemic has decimated flight schedules, so for many Bangkok is now the only option.  That means, get ready to be grilled by the immigration bulldogs there. ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Why do we have to believe what some random people on Facebook says just because you quoted them. Isn't this forum for actual members to give their experience and people in other threads have already said they did a visa run no problem

This is ridiculous, if you're from a country eligible for visa exempt, you will get a visa exempt entry (unless a dodgy visa agent screwed you on your covid extension by triggering a red flag) 

"unless a dodgy visa agent screwed you on your covid extension by triggering a red flag) "

Please explain what you mean....how could an agent trigger a red flag

10 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

The pandemic has decimated flight schedules, so for many Bangkok is now the only option.  That means, get ready to be grilled by the immigration bulldogs there. ????

So, if I get refused, will I get a refund for my hotel booking and the insurance I bought to enter Thailand?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, if I get refused, will I get a refund for my hotel booking and the insurance I bought to enter Thailand?

I doubt you can get a refund for those if you are denied entry.  You might need to get a separate travel insurance policy that reimburses you for costs incurred due to trip cancellation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, at15 said:

What is the deal with getting tourist visas now? I know pre-covid we had go apply at an embassy then pickup the next day, but now everything is all online? So does it even matter what city you do a visa run to?

As pretty much everything else that has been going on with the World, everything is more or less becoming onlne these days, following that logic it is only a matter of time until even the poorest nations across the globe embrace the full digital/online/virtual/cloud/e-visas route.

12 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Thanks for the info! I was self curious to see how soon they will start to repel visitors at the airport as they did pre-covid. They almost bounced me arriving on a completely new tourist visa. 

Sure, I respect your sovereignty and I don't have a right to a tourist visa. But, if one is applied for and given to me by your embassy - honor it. End of discussion. 

A visa is not a 100% guarantee of entry to Thailand. Immigration at the port of entry make the final decision. Refusal is rare but does happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

No. When an embassy or consulate goes over to the E-visa system, visa applications are only allowed from that country's citizens or those who have legal residence there.

Only partially true. Bolded part is (used to be?) false or at least wrongly assumed.

Here as an example: Up until May 2018 one could acquire a Single Entry TR visa from the London Thai embassy using a passport from anywhere in the World without any links or ties or residence to the UK. A relative did this to visit me in Thailand. In this case, a Belgian passport was used, it is worth noting the Thai embassy in Brussels, Belgium takes a week to process a SE TR, while the Thai embassy in London used to do a next day pick up service for the same service.

Now mind you, 2018 is a long time ago, things have changed quite considerably and the pandemic blew over the planet, so in 2022 things might have changed a little.

But assuming that one may be eligible to apply for a visa only from that country's citizens or must hold legal residence there couldn't be furthest away from the truth.

Edited by NanaSomchai

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Immigration is aware of that and is putting checks like testing their Thai language skills before the renewal of their extension every 3 months or looking at their attendance. I've known at least one person who didn't get his renewal because he failed the test.

May I ask which immigration office was this?

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps it's just me, but I defined the covid extensions to be for people who couldn't return to home country because of the pandemic. I don't think it's purpose was unclear and could also be considered an alternative for border runners to maintain defacto residence until they could resume short hops into next door countries.

To claim vagueness of legislation, or questionable behavior of border officials, as an excuse to abuse the system is disingenuous.

This. 3000 times. Hell no, 5000, 10000 times.

At last, someone who gets it.

These extensions were meant to serve as a legal framework so those alien stranded in the Kingdom under unforeseen exceptional circumstances could retain a legal status while still being in the Kingdom, it was never meant to be used as a "freebie residence extension visa".

People misusing these were expected to respect the law, there was nothing vague about it, neither the legislative way nor the original intent behind said COVID-19 extensions.

Those border officials are now doing what they were hired for, trained for and are being paid for; upholding the law.

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

No. When an embassy or consulate goes over to the E-visa system, visa applications are only allowed from that country's citizens or those who have legal residence there.

If all embassies goes over to the E-visa, everything will actually be simpler? You can apply in your home country and still do a visa run to a neighboring country. Or is there a regulation that you have to stay in the country you apply in?

I have even done this by mail many years ago. Sent my passport to the UK back when you got easy Multiple O-visas at the Hull Consulate. While staying in a 3rd country. I only needed access to a UK return address, and someone to ship it back to me.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

There, you nailed it perfectly.

/thread

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The limit to visa exempt entries via land is 2 per calendar year. 

Dr J I had forgotten about that one. Prior to Covid was it still enforced or did it go the way of the maximimum stay of 6 months pa if not on a long term permit.? 

52 minutes ago, bbko said:

Here's some advice, get a "real" extension and stop abusing a clause that was meant to help those in real need.

Nailed it. Two hundred and fifty six times.

People who weren't in need, abused and misused those "emergency" extensions to retain themselves longer in the Kingdom than they should have and now they're crying being denied. The arrogance and irony of it all.

/thread

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

I would say that these people were misusing the Covid extension for long-term stay in Thailand and misusing it by doing a visa-run right after the multiple Covid extension. 

Thai immigration were too lenient to just give them a warning. Most countries would just deport them instead of giving them a lecture.

Get a proper visa like non-O (work permit, retiree, marriage, education) instead of abusing the system.

Tourist visa isn't considered valid after so many Covid extensions....it goes to show they are not real tourists but long-term stayers in Thailand.

and just what is wrong with being a long-term stayer in Thailand? Why should it be so hard for a person under 50 to stay long-term in Thailand anyway? The Junta has done enough damage to the Thai economy by chasing away many decent retiree's because of immigration issues already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I was grilled by Immigration before. I had the money on me, but this was not questioned, so it didn't help carrying the cash with me.

If you really were carrying 20,000 baht on you, I find it hard to believe no other options were being offered to you behind closed doors... but that's just me.

34 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

I doubt you can get a refund for those if you are denied entry.  You might need to get a separate travel insurance policy that reimburses you for costs incurred due to trip cancellation.

Generally speaking the words "Refund" and "Thailand" never get along well together in the same sentence... but then again...

16 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

These extensions were meant to serve as a legal framework so those alien stranded in the Kingdom under unforeseen exceptional circumstances could retain a legal status while still being in the Kingdom, it was never meant to be used as a "freebie residence extension visa"

Why were covid extension issue extended after Jan 25.

Are you stating that some people could not return to their passport country and hence covid extensions were extended to March 25? 

Edited by DrJack54

5 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

If you really were carrying 20,000 baht on you, I find it hard to believe no other options were being offered to you behind closed doors... but that's just me.

Can you point to report of someone paying bribe at airport upon entry. 

12 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

A lot of people get education visas just to stay in Thailand long-term, without actually studying. Isn't that abuse?

They may even attend classes, but their real goal is just to stay in Thailand, not to study.

"but their real goal is just to stay in Thailand,"  and just what is wrong with that? As long as they are behaving themselves and contributing to the Thai economy, I don't see what the problem is.

• Like 1