Gangsters’ paradise? Killing spotlights Thailand’s reputation as criminal hideout

webfact

1 hour ago, Dan747 said:

Makes you wonder that the RTP have ID'ed the criminals very quickly, but have a very hard time IDing where the Red Bull (Boss) heir is! 

What makes you think that the RTP, or any other forces, do not know Vorayuth's whereabouts?    Just knowing where he is, outside Thailand, doesn't help them much.

The Canadians were arrested by the Canadian authorities because they had issued arrest warrants for them.  No country, apart from Thailand, has issued arrest warrants for Vorayuth.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

When this assassination hit the news, it did make me wonder how, with all the hoops that foreigners have to jump through, a publicly denounced gangland figure in Canada who was deported for that reason, simply waltzed into Thailand. By all accounts, he was hardly unknown to police authorities around the world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

When I lived on Samui many years back, it was well known that there was an entire subculture there, that were wanted by the law, all over the world, and they were able to stay in Thailand legally, without any repercussions. That is likely the case all over Thailand. Does immigration turn a blind eye? Are they bought and paid for? Are the Thai databases inadequate? Or are they simply indifferent? 

I was told decades ago by a farang friend who worked at a foreign embassy in Bangkok that wealthy foreign criminals could pay certain Thai government officials to get permission to stay in Thailand, and even buying Thai cirizenship and passport was possible.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Whale said:

It always seemed strange to me that those who retire on a an O-A and all the hoops that entails have to have a clean police record certified by their home country police. Yet the O route requires nada. Do other long stay visas require anything from the police? 

Non-Immi O requires a police record as well.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When I lived on Samui many years back, it was well known that there was an entire subculture there, that were wanted by the law, all over the world, and they were able to stay in Thailand legally, without any repercussions. That is likely the case all over Thailand. Does immigration turn a blind eye? Are they bought and paid for? Are the Thai databases inadequate? Or are they simply indifferent? 

It's been said some countries are happy when wanted criminals leave, because if they're locked up it will only be for a short time, then they will be out and up to no good again. Whereas if they leave it's likely they won't come back unless forced to.

46 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

Non-Immi O requires a police record as well.

Which Category? I ask as all the ones I read on the website do not mention that as a requirement? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

the answer to all of your questions is YES

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think they are here because it’s so easy to buy their way in. Money talk$

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Pandemic-era restrictions made it easier for the authorities to catch wrongdoers, but will that all change as virus curbs ease and tourists start to return?

Well, if two hit men were able to come to Thailand, acquire two pistols, stalk and kill a known criminal, then escape, the facts don't really support this claim.

You can tell a lot from tattoo's there are enough people I have seen here with prison tattoo's.  They are fairly noticeable, crude and representative then those from a commercial shop.  Or specific tattoo's representing their place in a criminal hierarchy or past misdeeds.   Russians in particular are well known and proud of this type identification.

5 hours ago, Whale said:

It always seemed strange to me that those who retire on a an O-A and all the hoops that entails have to have a clean police record certified by their home country police. Yet the O route requires nada. Do other long stay visas require anything from the police? 

Good question !    The cost of the Police certificate in UK is not cheap !

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think the home gown "gangsters" far out weigh the imported ones!