How to fail

Sometimes we have discussions here about people who want to retire in Thailand and how much money they need, etc.

I think this is an interesting video about what not to do.

Until now I only saw the start but that sounds already like there won't be any happy end.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Gave up 5 secs

I understand you.

But in a way I think it is interesting what some people do. And mostly we hear only beginning of the end. It seems this guy wants to document his fall until the end. Time for popcorn. 

5760.jpg?width=465&quality=45&auto=forma

• Haha 1

At 64 he's going to come here and look for work.? 

Well I know a school that will employ pretty much anybody as an English teacher. Not much time on the beach in a hammock though and not a lot of fun if there's no plan B. 

Did not realise that he had already done teaching, so if he lives quietly and is happy with a low income don't see a problem there. The problems may come from health, visas and extensions, keeping the job as he may be a bit much for some employers. 

Edited by rott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand you.

But in a way I think it is interesting what some people do. And mostly we hear only beginning of the end. It seems this guy wants to document his fall until the end. Time for popcorn. 

Thanks for that--it was interesting---- the guy does seem to be delusional, with his little chat with God & I can survive with a hammock on the beach a bottle of water and a good book......etc

I'm just staying to sell my mothers house for her--- why do I get the feeling that dear old mum might not get to see to much of those funds.

Guess, because  I am just a cynical old guy................:omfg:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rott said:

At 64 he's going to come here and look for work.? 

Well I know a school that will employ pretty much anybody as an English teacher. Not much time on the beach in a hammock though and not a lot of fun if there's no plan B. 

Did not realise that he had already done teaching, so if he lives quietly and is happy with a low income don't see a problem there. The problems may come from health, visas and extensions, keeping the job as he may be a bit much for some employers. 

His writing is extremely compelling, you can tell from the video that he is articulate in putting together sentences before even editing.  And he is already published with some name recognition.   He should be able to monetize that one way or another once he gets settled in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisP24 said:

His writing is extremely compelling, you can tell from the video that he is articulate in putting together sentences before even editing.  And he is already published with some name recognition.   He should be able to monetize that one way or another once he gets settled in. 

Yes he seems able to turn his hand to a number of things and it is not all as bleak as he initially made out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisP24 said:

I also watched the previous interview with him.

It sees there was a time when he made money with writing. But then not anymore - for whatever reasons.

According to himself he is most interested in himself and writing about himself. I am not so sure he can make a living with that one.

In principle I like to think positive about guys who have plans to improve their life and live their dream. But it seems he is trying to replicate what he had in Thailand 30 years ago. And according to him and the other interview the best of that time was a couple of months together with a (paid) schoolgirl. Will he now, with 64 and without money be able to repeat that experience? NO!

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It sees there was a time when he made money with writing. But then not anymore - for whatever reasons.

According to himself he is most interested in himself and writing about himself. I am not so sure he can make a living with that one.

In principle I like to think positive about guys who have plans to improve their life and live their dream. But it seems he is trying to replicate what he had in Thailand 30 years ago. And according to him and the other interview the best of that time was a couple of months together with a (paid) schoolgirl. Will he now, with 64 and without money be able to repeat that experience? NO!

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"And according to him and the other interview the best of that time was a couple of months together with a (paid) schoolgirl. Will he now, with 64 and without money be able to repeat that experience? NO!"

I admit to being baffled by guys that want the youngest around. I've always preferred older women, perhaps because one initiated me in the joys of sex.

There's a rhyme that used to go around which sums up why older women are better:

They don't tell.

They don't yell.

They don't swell.

They are as grateful as hell.

Of course, now they are all younger than me anyway.

Edited by Lacessit

46 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In principle I like to think positive about guys who have plans to improve their life and live their dream. 

Although he has had an education his "dream" is just the old-fashioned, working-class goal of sitting around drinking beer and doing nothing, rather than, say, doing something.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I admit to being baffled by guys that want the youngest around.

Could be 'cause they haven't lived long enough to become jaded with life, cynical and bitter.

Not having any desire to be in the slammer for a jail bait I never tried, but I understand why some risk it.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Although he has had an education his "dream" is just the old-fashioned, working-class goal of sitting around drinking beer and doing nothing, rather than, say, doing something.  

If one enjoys that why not? IMO few of us get to live the dream, so if the dream is achievable, go for it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Could be 'cause they haven't lived long enough to become jaded with life, cynical and bitter.

Not having any desire to be in the slammer for a jail bait I never tried, but I understand why some risk it.

Excuse me? I am certainly not jaded with life, every day is a new adventure for me. Moving on is preferable to being bitter about something in the past that I can do nothing about.

Cynical, yes. I've learned money brings out the worst in people, so the only person who knows what I have is me.

The other risk is STD's, the ignorance of them in young people is astounding.

Was that a general comment, or a shot at me? If so, you missed by miles.

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not entirely sure what you expect someone in their mid 60s+ to do?

I just sit around drinking/reading/listening to music/watching TV/posting on forums and doing nothing much while waiting to die, it's a fine occupation.

Maybe you think I should be finding a cure for cancer?

You did forget the humpy-rumpy, I would be astonished if you embraced celibacy.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Excuse me? I am certainly not jaded with life, every day is a new adventure for me. Moving on is preferable to being bitter about something in the past that I can do nothing about.

Cynical, yes. I've learned money brings out the worst in people, so the only person who knows what I have is me.

The other risk is STD's, the ignorance of them in young people is astounding.

Was that a general comment, or a shot at me? If so, you missed by miles.

I believe the poster was referring to the why some men prefer a young woman (the "they" in the post).

3 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

Throughout the video he constantly refers to "just one year". What if the Almighty plays a prank on him and gives him 10 more years or more? Has he the means to survive here for that long?

Why worry about the future?

It may all end in nuclear war tomorrow.