Can we still afford to shop at Thai supermarkets?

webfact

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Have you considered the fact that you have no values?

I am in a similar position to you, but probably richer, but if I see a a pack of 5 Beng Beng in 7-11 for 26 Baht but singles priced at 5 Baht - I will buy 5 singles. That is because I am aware of pricing, I find it interesting to be aware of pricing and I will always look for value.

????????

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

the problem in Thailand remains lack of competition....too many stores selling stuff at exactly the same prices.

Check out Lazada for your cereal, imported items are often much cheaper than Thai supermarkets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Cheap as chips still relevant.

I buy my chips frozen from Makro, the price varies 99bht/2Kg-135bht/2Kg.

Same product & manufacturer, huge price swings, been like this the past 7 years.

When it's 99bht/2Kg, I fill up the freezer, when it's 135bht/2Kg I wait ............

Me and my boy eat chips nearly every day!

I'm lazy, I buy Pringles.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

For 35 THB a bag you can't make it yourself

Would need to disagree, I can make many items sold at 35bht for 10bht.

Cakes, biscuits, bread, pancakes, tortillas, curry, toffee all being much cheaper to bake myself.

• Like 2

Everyone can still afford to shop at Thai supermarkets.

If somethings rise in price in one market then govt expects that one would make extra effort to shop around in another place to get the items at the same price or to do without.....hence limited rise in inflation.

Notice the croissants in Big C have reduced in size.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would need to disagree, I can make many items sold at 35bht for 10bht.

Cakes, biscuits, bread, pancakes, tortillas, curry, toffee all being much cheaper to bake myself.

Corn tortillas or flour? Tried to make corn tortillas and made a mess

Oh dear Michael another farang debating how expensive it is getting, a fw days/weeks ago we had one bemoaning the fact the UK pension did not go up. It is amazing just how silly these p[;osts are. We vall know things are getting expensive , but as with everything else in life, you adjust and plan, decide on other foods etc. Do you feel good showing people you are a complete numpty. I really wonder why people POST this stuff.

Micheal have a good day spending time energy and money rushing around trying to buy the best for the least. Me I will drink two less drinks, cut down on overpriced tat and chill. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Today I bought in Europe 500 grams medium size carrots at € 0.59 or 22 bht.

@ pompchop : are carrots western food ?

I was going to reply almost the same, in Makro Pattaya carrots are 29Thb / Kg??? The ones OP is mentioning must be very large medium size.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Most noticeable I would say is the price to fill up the car.

The other thing I noticed was the difference in the number of people shopping at 5.30 pm!

Why you may ask at that time?

That's when all the "yellow labels" are made available from, these are  goods discounted down by 50%. for clearance due to date etc.

I don't like buying stuff like veggies from local farmers as there is no knowing what chemicals they have used on them..

Well , many of the vegetables in Thai supermarkets come from China . Hate to think what chemicals or other stuff that they use . Certainly not disclosed or controlled .  Most locally grown veg is labour intensive in Thailand and will almost certainly use some form of fertiliser , however what is a concern are the farmers who take tanker loads of untreated excrement taken from domestic cesspits and spread it over their land and then plant on it . That can cause serious health problems to the end user , especially salad items that are not cooked . Small time growers are much safer and cheaper and their profit margins are lower so normally cheaper to buy .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I don't like buying stuff like veggies from local farmers as there is no knowing what chemicals they have used on them..

And who supplies the 'falang' supermarkets?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Supermarkets in the UK are bargain shopping.

Supermarkets in Thailand are luxury shopping.

Many foreigners never discover the difference.

But most supermarket items are half the price online or in local markets.

"But most supermarket items are half the price online or in local markets"

Really In Thailand?

5 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Thanks for your very helpful comment, I’ll jump in the car and drive up and get some, I’m only 997 kilometres away; and I only eat Haas avocados, which are not grown in Thailand.

And are McVities digestive biscuits in season in Chiang Rai

¯\_()_/¯

There's a shop near the clock tower in Chiang Rai that sells sai ua, the Northern Thai herbal sausage. People drive up from Bangkok to load up with kilos of the stuff, there's usually at least one Merc, Beemer or minivan with Bangkok plates parked outside when I buy mine. The example has been set for you.

Haas avocados and McVities digestive biscuits? You remind me of a mate here who won't eat spaghetti or yoghurt, fussy eaters.

• Haha 1