One dead three injured as pick-ups collide at Kanchanaburi U-turn

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Phanom Thuan police and Miracle of Life rescue services were called after two pick-ups collided at a U-turn on the Phanom Thuan to U-Thong Road in Kanchanaburi yesterday.

Ten meters apart at the scene were two badly damaged vehicles - an Isuzu D-Max and a Mitsubishi L 200.

Sombat Charoensapsanti, 54, the driver of the Isuzu had been thrown out to the tarmac, reported Thai Rath.

He had a broken neck and head injuries and was dead at the scene.

Rescue services ferried one man and two women to hospital before police arrived. 

Police said that Sombat was on his way home and hit the other vehicle that was doing a U-turn.

Investigations continue. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-04

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What belt? How you call that? :sad:

Bloody U-turns. Cheap but deadly.

(no excuse for probable speeding/sleeping Mr Sombat)

Especially where they combine them, neither side can see past other side queuing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Thais get confused by them and like as not would go round them the wrong way.

Oh yes. There was a roundabout at  Jomtien 2nd rd / Soi Watboon.

I liked it! So much safer because they are forced to slow down.

No speeding through red lights.

A friend argued against and loves traffic lights.

In the end roundabout removed and now he can sweat in the sun at near empty road and wait for the green.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Just a hint of sarcasm with the seat belt thing

Sure I saw :biggrin:

"Those things are sooo inconvenient."

"What are they for?"

No extra pay for ABS.

Nicer rims please.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Sombat Charoensapsanti, 54, the driver of the Isuzu had been thrown out to the tarmac, reported Thai Rath.

He had a broken neck and head injuries and was dead at the scene.

Clunk click every trip never got this far East then?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Just a hint of sarcasm with the seat belt thing and yes couldn't agree more re U turns.  Have you ever sat at a U turn in the car with another car doing the U turn coming the other way , Someone has to move and so taking a chance of not getting swatted.. I have said before ; more roundabouts , unforunately Thais get confused by them and like as not would go round them the wrong way.

Not sure about going the wrong way but I have noticed where a roundabout is in my area the vehicles on the roundabout give-way to those entering.

Every other country I've ever driven it's the opposite, those on the roundabout have priority and those entering must give-way, as it actually doubles up as a speed reduction method as well as a safer way to change direction without the infamous U-turns.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Not sure about going the wrong way but I have noticed where a roundabout is in my area the vehicles on the roundabout give-way to those entering.

Every other country I've ever driven it's the opposite, those on the roundabout have priority and those entering must give-way, as it actually doubles up as a speed reduction method as well as a safer way to change direction without the infamous U-turns.

There is a roundabout near where I live and I hate using it because the locals have no idea how to use it and as you say stop whilst on the roundabout and give way to people joining it. This despite large signs on the approach saying that traffic on the roundabout has right of way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Especially where they combine them, neither side can see past other side queuing.

Yep ,that's so stupid .they should for safety Offset the U turn lanes by at least 500 Meters so that there's only one side  at that turn doing a U turn .

Then one can clearly see the traffic coming from the other side.

• Like 2

Having U-turns ,with both sides turning is very dangerous ,

on one u-turn near me, at least  12 people had to die before

the highways department realised how bad it was, and you

can only turn one way, no queue of traffic on other side blocking

your view.  U-turns must account for many accidents, injury and deaths,

along with lamp - electrical posts.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I might have mentioned this in the past, (memory and old age), but many years ago in Jubail Eastern Saudi Arabia they built a roundabout with a Dow fishing boat as a centrepiece. It was absolute chaos, Saudis coming from all directions, wrong way, ( why go all the way round when I want to turn left), etc. During a meeting in the Naval base where I worked I asked an intelligent high ranking Officer the question...Who has the right of way on roundabouts in the Kingdom. He looked at me straight faced as if I was a simpleton and replied, straight faced....."Why, the one with older car of course".

• Like 1