Back in the USA

Guest Isaanlife

Guest Isaanlife

After spending what seems like the past 100 years living in rural Isaan, we are back in the USA.

We had a company caring for our house in Florida, and when we arrived is was all cleaned, yard mowed nicely and ready to move in.

Talk about culture shock!

Can't describe the emotions somewhere between complete sadness at moving and overjoyed at being here.

We had ordered a shiny new car and it was sitting in the driveway when we arrived; as planned.

I may have been extremely worn out from the trip, but sleeping in a real bed for a change, slept like a baby.

Went to a local café for breakfast.

When I first was driving, I would get disoriented into which lane I was suppose to be in (opposite of Thailand), however, no accidents!

It was very enjoyable hearing all the customers chatting in English and the food was awesome. Gave me a sense of normalcy.

We stocked up on groceries (Surprised that many shelves half empty but still managed a full cart), went to the Thai grocery (shelves are full) and spent the morning driving by the ocean to see all the things that have changed.

Long gone are the majority of Mom and Pop places I use to know, all replaced with fast food brands.

The whole area is much, much busier and over commercialized. 

New housing and commercial buildings everywhere you look.

Population is around 120,000 people where we lived. Population increased 19% in the past 10 years.

It is all so new right now.

Only time will tell if we feel we made the right decision.

Right now still feel kind of numb we are even here.

Look forward to seeing our son and getting re-acquainted with the area.

I made the same decision a few years back. However, travel back to Thailand on a frequent basis is still required.

I know the same feeling. For me it was like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders and all the additional stress gone after just a few days. Yes, at first it is a bit surreal.

Perhaps you were meant to be in Florida. As you say, time will tell. Enjoy!

11 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

After spending what seems like the past 100 years living in rural Isaan, we are back in the USA.

As an official resident of Florida for 15 years before moving to Thailand, what's there not to like about having a house near the ocean in Florida.

However I do note that you used the word 'we'. Things would hardly be the same for an older single guy moving back to Florida.

What Florida county? I've spent the last 3 years commuting between Indian River county and Bangkok. Trying to convince my fiancee to leave her job and join me in dividing time between Thailand, Florida and some additional time in bucket list destination places.

While there are Thai restaurants in most towns, I wasn't aware of Thai grocery stores. Where do you think is the most Thai centric place in FL?

I am so happy for you on your move back to the US.

This made me cry as I want to go back with my Thai wife and son so bad and I would go in a nano second, but it is mission impossible for me.

Enjoy your life and hope you are both happy and healthy.

• Like 2

Guest Isaanlife
16 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Congrats. My path back is a bit more complicated. No shiny new car for me upon arrival, I only got a couple of grand in savings. Though it's still a good deal more than most people have, both farangs in Thailand, and Americans in the States.

1) Complete my full Thai teaching license. (like many other teachers, I've taught for many years on "waivers", temporary licenses).

2) Use this to apply for a US state teaching license.

3) Take several difficult exams for this.

4) Bass background checks for this.

5) Secure a Stateside teaching job, then with my Visa that fortunately still works, fly back home. You'd think this would be easy as they keep screaming about teacher shortages everywhere, yet there's still all these hoops, and I've still heard of qualified teachers being turned away.

6) Work for about 6 months, then apply for my wife's IR-1 visa, and bring her over. She's eager to work and make a bit more than the $10/day here.

I can testify as there is "Help Wanted" signs everywhere you look.

Crazy, many places closed down because they cannot find help.

Target department store starting at US $24 an hour

I have seen McDonald's starting as high as $16 hour for general workers

Traveling nurses US $6 to $8,000  a week on 10 week contracts

Teacher shortages out the wazoo in the city schools.

Guest Isaanlife
14 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

What Florida county? I've spent the last 3 years commuting between Indian River county and Bangkok. Trying to convince my fiancee to leave her job and join me in dividing time between Thailand, Florida and some additional time in bucket list destination places.

While there are Thai restaurants in most towns, I wasn't aware of Thai grocery stores. Where do you think is the most Thai centric place in FL?

We live in Brevard County.

There are at least 20 Thai restaurants here and they are all sorry except 1. Thai Kitchen in Melbourne, Fl is small Thai restaurant run by Isaan family. They will cook for Thai people like Thailand if you request it. Most Thai restaurants Americanize their food here for Americans to the point it doesn't taste anything like in Thailand.

Melbourne also has Thai Grocery "Jason's" and also Thai Temple. I heard there was another Thai temple now?

Lots of Thai's in Brevard county.

Orlando has large China Town and Vietnamese Town. Asian grocery as big as a Tesco Lotus. Many of them.

Guest Isaanlife
14 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

As an official resident of Florida for 15 years before moving to Thailand, what's there not to like about having a house near the ocean in Florida.

However I do note that you used the word 'we'. Things would hardly be the same for an older single guy moving back to Florida.

Florida has a ton of affordable over age 55 communities.

My Thai wife is a US citizen so she has been here before and no issues with staying.

6 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

I once stayed at the Extended Stay America near Melbourne Airport for a couple of months between other residences late 1990's. Often went out to the beach for a few hours.

Every day there were guys out there surf casting -- the same guys out there so often that I used to say that the fish know them by name. 

surf-fishing-florida.jpg

Edited by jerrymahoney

Guest Isaanlife
12 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I once stayed at the Extended Stay America near Melbourne Airport for a couple of months between other residences late 1990's. Often went out to the beach for a few hours.

Every day there were guys out there surf casting -- the same guys out there so often that I used to say that the fish know them by name. 

surf-fishing-florida.jpg

It is amazing the amount of fish that can be caught surf fishing.

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I know about The Villages, etc. No Thanks.

Saw that Village on the news. A bunch of deplorable in red hats driving around the neighborhood in golf carts yelling "WHITE POWER!" 

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Going back home is a bit of a cr**p shoot.

I was ready to go home, bored out of my mind in Thailand I knew it was time to leave.

Our Thai son was already in the US for college then work. He wasn't coming back and Momma Bear wasn't going to be that far away from him.

It helped that my wife had actually grown up in Chicago with her Uncle after both parents died, so the US wasn't a culture shock.

In balance I'm happier with our life back in the US.

I miss Thailand, we still have our house there, but I miss it more as a second home vacation place than a place to live full time

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 7:34 AM, tonray said:

No real beds in Issan ?

I have a lovely, comfy mattress, the best I've ever owned, and bought in Issan.  Damn expensive, but worth every baht, as can't beat a good night's sleep.

OP simply chose not to buy one.  Was a water bed fan before moving to Thailand.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I was ready to go home, bored out of my mind in Thailand I knew it was time to leave.

I was bored out of my mind in Florida (even though I had plenty to keep me busy) when I decided i needed a major life change and moved to Thailand almost 20 years ago. As for keeping myself busy, I used the same personal motto in Thailand as I did in rural Florida:

If you didn't bring it, it ain't there.

• Like 2

Guest Isaanlife
29 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Going back home is a bit of a cr**p shoot.

Our Thai son was already in the US for college then work. He wasn't coming back and Momma Bear wasn't going to be that far away from him.

It helped that my wife had actually grown up in Chicago with her Uncle after both parents died, so the US wasn't a culture shock.

In balance I'm happier with our life back in the US.

I miss Thailand, we still have our house there, but I miss it more as a second home vacation place than a place to live full time

So far, getting use to us not having all the relatives around.

The rest of it is pretty relaxing although the area is a much busier place.

We knew it was long overdue to move.

I am not missing Thailand so much.

Had papaya salad today, so there is always those elements of sameness.

I think one of the big issues that was wearing on me and even more now with the War, year after year, never knew what we could expect in Thailand? Overall, year after year, things just seemed to be going in the wrong direction.

Just taking it one day at a time until we get our feet under us.

It really takes some getting used to, after all the years in Isaan.

15 minutes ago, Isaanlife said:

Just taking it one day at a time until we get our feet under us.

It really takes some getting used to, after all the years in Isaan.

You have the right attitude & I'm sure you will do fine

My wife like yours is a US citizen & had lived & worked before in the US

We were the same at first & it took a few months to settle in.

Then we started noticing how great it really was & we were happy we made the move back

Congrats & Good Luck going forward

Edited by meechai

7 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

There are at least 20 Thai restaurants here and they are all sorry except 1. Thai Kitchen in Melbourne, Fl is small Thai restaurant run by Isaan family. They will cook for Thai people like Thailand if you request it. Most Thai restaurants Americanize their food here for Americans to the point it doesn't taste anything like in Thailand.

Melbourne also has Thai Grocery "Jason's" and also Thai Temple. I heard there was another Thai temple now?

Lots of Thai's in Brevard county.

Orlando has large China Town and Vietnamese Town. Asian grocery as big as a Tesco Lotus. Many of them.

I go to the BJ's and Sam's in Melbourne 2-3x a month. Just down the road from Melbourne is Sebastian. The top rated restaurant is Wasabi Thai Sushi. Most of the workers are Thai including the sushi chefs. Their Masaman curry is superb, but the rest of the Thai dishes are between OK and don't bother. The place does great sushi, sushi rolls and sashimi and it's frequently packed. After 7 pm usually you see people sitting outside waiting for tables, even on a Monday night. Calling in for take out orders can sometimes result in a 45 minute wait.

6 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

Congratulations your move back.

I have always advocated not to burn your bridges and to keep your home back in your home country , at least for a while, in case that for what ever reason you  want or need to go back. 

We are in Khon Kaen right now, but we still maintain out Home in FL, in Flagler county, a couple of counties north from you.

I used to love Thailand , and to some degree I still do, but as I get older I miss the law , order and familiarity  of back home, everything in Thailand seems to be a bit of a hassle. Small thing but combined together are becoming a headache . Sort of like 'Death by a thousand cuts" 

I was born in Greece but my parents immigrated to the US when I was very young, but since I was born in Greece I an entitled to Greek citizenship, So April 3rd we are heading to Greece to see about moving there.

It all hinges in my ability to buy into the Greek national health system, (I was told I could, we will see) if that's the case we will move there for a while, not having to worry about visas and health insurance requirements. But if that does not work out we will also be heading back to FL. We will keep the house in Thailand at least for a few years more, and visit for a couple of months per year  , or who knows we might miss Thailand, and decide to come back.   

• Like 2