BA.2 sub variant of Omicron becoming dominant strain in Thailand

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, TooMuchTime said:

The tens of millions of people say otherwise.  Such a deadly disease that many people are asymptomatic and others just get the sniffles.

Stats don't lie, sport.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographics

Rest assured, the demographic of Aseannow is NOT the group that is going to be asymptomatic.  Stats don't lie.   

43 minutes ago, tandor said:

...well good for you friend...Far from over...

Many folk have not had their first shot, many others have received none, for whatever health issues and personal reasons they have; and them catching any Covid-19 variant is serious. Still no vaccine being distributed for under 5 year olds.

Which Western countries are vaccinating under 5 year olds against Covid?

I understand that in Australia and the UK only 5-11 year olds are being vaccinated.

We live in the North and it has been offered to our five year old daughter.

2 hours ago, wombat said:

How many times do people have to read that vaxination is not protection from the virus?

The vaxination supposedly stops the viruses effects from being as bad as they could be if you catch it.

Isn't that protection?  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I tested positive four days ago!  ????  Do you know what I had for symptoms?  I had 2 naps during the day, felt tired and a runny nose and a headache.  It wasn't even a cold.  I am 100 percent now.  

What a frigging joke it was!  

Get real kids - this thing is over.  

Have to ask - were U vaccinated?

11 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I tested positive four days ago!  ????  Do you know what I had for symptoms?  I had 2 naps during the day, felt tired and a runny nose and a headache.  It wasn't even a cold.  I am 100 percent now.  

Read the stats on the number of covid deaths today, stop gloating and be more responsible and sympathetic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Tell that to the 65 people in Thailand who died of COVID yesterday, and the more than 1,100 COVID cases hospitalized in serious condition right now.... with both numbers rising almost daily and at record highs for 2022.

It may be "over" for the dead, but not for everyone else.

Excellent reply!  Selfishness seems to be a Western disease!  I am alright Jack!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

yes I understand  what you are saying - I had same a few weeks ago but tested negative (which I did not believe), if you have had an effective vaccine then that would explain your experience, this is still a deadly virus but then so is the flu if you get it bad, people here in Thailand and around the world that are needing elevated treatment and possibly dying fit a pattern - one key factor is being vaccinated with an effective vaccine - Thailand lack of detail and status and general information just speaks to me,  in the west they anaylse everything - huge data that is very accurate and also made very public - these ### in charge here are hiding the numbers because in some infantile way they think bad numbers reflect on them.......they would actully be respected if they told the truth - not a chance of that happening, and it all comes down to education - the only way they can look good is to lie

I'm not vaccinated , had all the usual symptoms 2 weeks ago. I tested negative with these home test kits, but i have heard that they often give false negatives. 
Anyway, the main symptoms lasted about 4 days and then some lingering symptoms a few  days after that. 
If it was in fact Covid, i can honestly say that i have been far more sick with the flu

Edited by Kaopad999

12 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

I'm not vaccinated , had all the usual symptoms 2 weeks ago. I tested negative with these home test kits, but i have heard that they often give false negatives. 
Anyway, the main symptoms lasted about 4 days and then some lingering symptoms a few  days after that. 
If it was in fact Covid, i can honestly say that i have been far more sick with the flu

If it was covid then good for you, take a look at Hong Kong where Omicron is doing its thing, they've never had so many deaths since the start of the pandemic. Due to low vaccination rates and low previous infections.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

I totally agree with your sentiment, but it all depends on age and what ailments they already had. Did Covid kill them or was it a contributory factor? I don't know, but the full facts are never published!

I recently watched a video that suggested, of patients dying with covid, in approx. 65%, the death had been caused by Covid, which of course attributed 35% to other causes or unsure. It was from Zoe data and mentioned on Dr John Campbell's YT post at approx 7am Thai time today. 

I just shudder when I read these callous posts, suggesting people having co-morbidities would have died soon anyhow. (So that they, the poster, does not have to suffer trivia such as mask wearing or a PCR test). It is like suggesting a cull of the older generation.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Omicron, the original BA1 version, became the dominant strain in Thailand around the beginning of the year, eclipsing last year's Delta.

Now, the newer BA2 strain of Omicron is headed toward eclipsing the original BA1 Omicron strain.

BA2 is more contagious than BA1. Just as BA1 is/was more contagious than Delta.  But I haven't heard that the newer BA2 causes worse health problems...

So, there are 2 different strains of Omicron ? The last one and a new one ? I wonder what the difference is, as the first was said to be highly contagious but less severe ?

5 hours ago, Fore Man said:

I still feel strongly that we shouldn’t take anything Covid is dishing out lightly or with sarcasm.

Nothing I said above was taking anyone's illness lightly or expressing sarcasm about that. In fact, I've consistently posted information here on the forum with the facts of how serious the pandemic is, despite many here claiming it's "over" and that only people already sick are getting sick and dying (which isn't true).

However, it is a fact that overall, Omicron tends to cause less severe health issues than Delta that preceded it. That doesn't mean that no one gets seriously sick with Omicron. Obviously some do. But my comment above simply said I hadn't seen any science or medical reporting that the latest BA2 version of Omicron caused more serious health issues that the original BA1 version, based on the overall statistics.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, geisha said:

So, there are 2 different strains of Omicron ? The last one and a new one ? I wonder what the difference is, as the first was said to be highly contagious but less severe ?

Yes, BA1 was the original, and now BA2 is becoming dominant in Thailand. Somewhat more contagious than the original Omicron version, according to the research thus far.

And yes, in general, Omicron has been more contagious but typically less severe than Delta that preceded it.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Just as it's selfish of you to think the world revolves around your daughter.

less than 1 in a million COVID related daily death rate in Thailand.

Thailand right now is running about 1 COVID death per day per million population. For a country of about 70 million people, that means about 70 COVID deaths per day, and that rate is rising.

Which of those 70 folks per day are you suggesting deserve to be written off?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

15 hours ago, Blumpie said:

For you, for now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, tandor said:

...well good for you friend...Far from over...

Many folk have not had their first shot, many others have received none, for whatever health issues and personal reasons they have; and them catching any Covid-19 variant is serious. Still no vaccine being distributed for under 5 year olds.

This is not true in all cases. My 80 yr old Mom, who has nodules on her lungs & late stage Alzheimer's, cannot be and is not vaccinated. She recently got covid, had a mild fever for a day, and occasional cough for 3 days, then it was gone. 
On the other hand, I have 3 friends (in their 50s), triple vaxed, that were hospitalized with serious covid cases.
There is no one size fits all.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Omicron, the original BA1 version, became the dominant strain in Thailand around the beginning of the year, eclipsing last year's Delta.

Now, the newer BA2 strain of Omicron is headed toward eclipsing the original BA1 Omicron strain.

BA2 is more contagious than BA1. Just as BA1 is/was more contagious than Delta.  But I haven't heard that the newer BA2 causes worse health problems...

Thank you so much for your explanation ! We didn't understand it without. ????

8 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Which Western countries are vaccinating under 5 year olds against Covid?

I understand that in Australia and the UK only 5-11 year olds are being vaccinated.

We live in the North and it has been offered to our five year old daughter.

most countries are waiting for the U5 vaccines to finish stage 3 of the trials, then approval by WHO...could be some time.