What was it like to have a Cataract operation in Thailand

webfact

11 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

ganfort eye drops ,kept my pressure normal for years ,expensive here especially in a private hospital ,about 780 baht for one month in Queen Sirakit govt hospital

Still working well for you? Doc tells me 90% of her glaucoma patients have normal pressure. Guess I'm lucky to have an early warning.

Seems like there are several kinds of drops to decrease IOP using different pharmacology.

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Emergency care and during trips of specified short duration (typically 30 days).

The poster asking this lives in Thailand >6 months of the year.  He is not going to be able to get the cover he needs via Medicare Advantage. (He also does nto legally qualify for Medicare Advnatage given that he is in the US less than 6 months a year).

I wasn’t responding to the poster, I was replying to your statement in which you stated none of the advantage plans cover care outside the USA.

As I stated there are some Advantage Plans with this benefit but they aren’t in all markets in the USA. 

On 3/9/2022 at 11:20 AM, it is what it is said:

sounds like you were mis-diagnosed and given unnecessary surgery... my mother and several of her friends have had cataract surgery and all have been amazed by the improvement in their vision and lives.

There were cataracts but not to the extent that many others have reported. Colors are brighter is one plus.  Today I finally got my new glasses and that did make a significant improvement in vision so all in all, better off now but a big hassle.

As for Medicare Advantage, I do have that upon retirement from a State job in USA, and they do pay most claims including non-emergency claims when I am in Thailand. Not sure if they pay  for cataract surgery. 

4 hours ago, kokopelli said:

As for Medicare Advantage, I do have that upon retirement from a State job in USA, and they do pay most claims including non-emergency claims when I am in Thailand. Not sure if they pay  for cataract surgery. 

The Medicare Advantage plans available to retired govt workers (especially State Dept) differs significantly from those available to the general public and is unusual in its international benefits.

16 hours ago, kokopelli said:

There were cataracts but not to the extent that many others have reported. Colors are brighter is one plus.  Today I finally got my new glasses and that did make a significant improvement in vision so all in all, better off now but a big hassle.

I believe when you retire that most likely you'll have a supplement plan, also referred to as a Medicap policy.

Advantage plans aren't typically used as an employer benefit. 

Which if you're employer is paying most or all the costs of the Medicare supplement plan then this is a great benefit. 

With this type of plan you can go anywhere Medicare is accepted, giving you freedom to see any doctor you wish without 

needing prior authorization.  

Just a note for when you're getting ready for Medicare. 

You will get bombarded with mail and phone calls when you are about 6-9 months out from turning 65.

If an agent contacts you directly via phone or in person without your permission then that is against Medicare rules. 

It's not uncommon for them to show up at your door saying they have an appointment or some other lame excuse.

If this happen, please get the agent's name and company info and report them to Medicare. (so many bad agents out there)

This gives all agents a bad name. I hate agents that are just for the sale.

Also, if you ever have an agent trying to talk you into a change dont make any changes until you speak to your

HR person at your former employer.  Your HR department can advise if it's a good move or not. 

98% of the time an employer benefit is best!

If you have any questions on Medicare you can PM me.

I dont need any personal info, no name, contact info, nothing just a zip code and your question.  

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:25 AM, Red Forever said:

Dr Sima in Ubon Ratchatani did cataract operation on my left eye.

I was told to attend clinic at 1600hrs. Apply drops for 4hrs prior to operation which took 15 mins. Returned next day for check.

All ok, told to return in a week.

Returned for check, all ok.

No hospitalisation. No discomfort.

Cost 25,500baht.

"All ok...".

Any further comment on the result?

Edited by JimmyJ

5 hours ago, ericthai said:

I believe when you retire that most likely you'll have a supplement plan, also referred to as a Medicap policy.

Advantage plans aren't typically used as an employer benefit. 

Which if you're employer is paying most or all the costs of the Medicare supplement plan then this is a great benefit. 

With this type of plan you can go anywhere Medicare is accepted, giving you freedom to see any doctor you wish without 

needing prior authorization.  

Just a note for when you're getting ready for Medicare. 

You will get bombarded with mail and phone calls when you are about 6-9 months out from turning 65.

If an agent contacts you directly via phone or in person without your permission then that is against Medicare rules. 

It's not uncommon for them to show up at your door saying they have an appointment or some other lame excuse.

If this happen, please get the agent's name and company info and report them to Medicare. (so many bad agents out there)

This gives all agents a bad name. I hate agents that are just for the sale.

Also, if you ever have an agent trying to talk you into a change dont make any changes until you speak to your

HR person at your former employer.  Your HR department can advise if it's a good move or not. 

98% of the time an employer benefit is best!

If you have any questions on Medicare you can PM me.

I dont need any personal info, no name, contact info, nothing just a zip code and your question.  

I did check my Plan information and it is an Aetna Employer Group Medicare Plan (PPO). Not sure why I thought it was a Medicare Advantage Plan.

My employer pays for coverage thus I don't bother with all the solicitations received from others. One big downside is after I submit a claim via a FAX, they pay me with a check.

If I am out of the country I must then ask a friend to deposit the check for me.

A previous health care provider would deposit the money directly into my bank account.

Thanks for your information.

2 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

My U.S. has a mobile app that features the ability to scan both sides of a check then make an immediate deposit. Then you can put the voided check in your filing cabinet.

Might be true for your bank too.

Believe his issue is check will be sent to his US address so he will not have it.

My family like going to all sorts of shamanic healers - and I went along because I found the "routines" of magic interesting... 

Only one time did I see a cure - - and that was more from a homeo-pathetic lady who worked out of her house...

Cataracts: 

We drove 8 hours to visit this lady. My wife's dad had the typical blurry blue cataract. The lady weaved a pin through the top of his ear lobe and then slit him with a razor near his temple. $10 - 300 baht... We had to return and do it again 6 weeks later. 

The cloudiness left, his vision returned fully... 

No kidding - $20, a lot of driving but no signs of cataracts 10 years later... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe his issue is check will be sent to his US address so he will not have it.

Oops. I read too quickly, thought it was the same I had before: Cigna would write a check and mail it to my retirement benefits administrator who would then send the check to me in Thailand. It was very cumbersome, especially since the checks had an expiration date. The mobile banking app made it a pleasure.

Anyone have multifocal, non-cataract surgery?  I had a Raindrop lens removed last year - no more monofocal for me.  That surgery cost a lot (out of pocket) and was nothing more than frustrating.  I have no issues spending the money for very high quality... only have 2 eyes and I'd like them to work well.

I'm trying to find a doctor and hospital preferably in Pattaya or Jomtien (maybe Si Racha).  I've been warned against a certain senior doctor (blinded a few expats from what I was told) and BKK in general for overcharging.  I've also been advised to go to Bangkok to a dedicated eye hospital but their recent Google reviews really suck.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ATLShawn said:

Anyone have multifocal, non-cataract surgery?  I had a Raindrop lens removed last year - no more monofocal for me.  That surgery cost a lot (out of pocket) and was nothing more than frustrating.  I have no issues spending the money for very high quality... only have 2 eyes and I'd like them to work well.

I'm trying to find a doctor and hospital preferably in Pattaya or Jomtien (maybe Si Racha).  I've been warned against a certain senior doctor (blinded a few expats from what I was told) and BKK in general for overcharging.  I've also been advised to go to Bangkok to a dedicated eye hospital but their recent Google reviews really suck.

I have tried to avoid the Bangkok Group Hospitals in the past, for the reasons that you say.  I was, however, pleasantly surprised with Jomtien Hospital - same group but much more reasonably priced for cataract surgery, at the moment, and I think that the 'special offer' runs throughout this year.  Whether or now the offer also applies to non-cataract surgery I cannot say.  The procedure should be the same, surely.

I had cataract surgery on my second eye, yesterday, and the results have been very good.  Acceptable vision already and this will improve as the eye settles down.  My surgeon was Khun Jittapan Chureeganon so it may be worthwhile you talking to him.  I did discuss multifocal lenses with him and I'm sure that he could fit those if you really wanted them.  Be aware though that they can be problematic and are 2-3 times more expensive than single vision lenses - in the region of 100,000 Baht per eye at Jomtien, compared to 39,000 Baht for the single vision lenses that I paid.

I know that the attraction of multi-focus lens surgery is that it obviates the need for spectacles - which is OK if it actually works properly.  There is definitely an increased risk of not working fully, in which case you would still need to wear specs, or contact lenses.  Specs can be a PITA but if you have been wearing them for 30+ years, as I have, this becomes rather less of an issue.

• Like 2

I had both eyes done, 5 days apart, single focus lenses, by Captain Wiriyaluppa at Bangkok Phuket Hospital in April 2018.

Price 140,000 baht.

No problems, and eyesight is perfect.

I still wear varifocal and photochromic glasses.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

My U.S. has a mobile app that features the ability to scan both sides of a check then make an immediate deposit. Then you can put the voided check in your filing cabinet.

Might be true for your bank too.

I do have that app on my phone but if I am in Thailand with my phone and the check is in USA it doesn't help me. I thought of having my friend use that app but not practical.

Possibly he could scan the check and send to me in an email and I could then scan and deposit it?  

7 hours ago, kokopelli said:

Possibly he could scan the check and send to me in an email and I could then scan and deposit it?  

I would expect that the mobile app is smart enough to prevent that from working. But, if it were me I would give it a try.

9 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I had both eyes done, 5 days apart, single focus lenses, by Captain Wiriyaluppa at Bangkok Phuket Hospital in April 2018.

Price 140,000 baht.

Photochromic varifocal glasses are also my plan.  Have to wait a month or so for things to settle down first though.

I have used varifocals before and found them very good.  The trick is in finding an optician who knows how to specify the lenses correctly.  I went through a couple of iterations before managing to get a pair that really worked for all distances.  I found that with the cheaper options the field of view was rather restricted and this made them unsuitable for computer use. 

I was recommended to see Dr. Maria at Euro Optical, in Pattaya - certainly not cheap but you get what you pay for and she provided an excellent service.  Frames and lenses came from Rodenstock (Germany) and were perfect for my needs.  I'll be going back for my new pair when the time comes.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ATLShawn said:

That is scary and a senior doctor ? 

Is the dedicated eye hospital name start with a R and end with a N ? If so I also read the reviews about overcharging foreigners , true costs well over estimated cost and the long waiting times , despite having an appointment some patients waited another 4 hours beyond their appointed time and one person was charged because he was unable to wait too long . In my experience an appointment time is given in both private and government hospitals but every patient is given the same appointment time and then it is first come first served . As for the inflated foreigner charge which was condoned by the Thai government recently ( farangs may pay more for services across the board ) , I will be selective in my choice for medical treatment and although it may cost more , treatment in most western countries hospitals is much more reassuring when considering risks and post op success . 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, ATLShawn said:

I assume you mean Rutnion Hospital which is excellent though like anywhere, it does depend on the doctor you select. Beware of Google reviews, these tend to attract posters with a grudge and you can find negative reviews on anyplace & anyone. Rutnin is by far the best place to go for eye diseases. However,  since you mention prior Raindrop surgery I assume that by "multifocal, non-ctaract surgery" you mean some type of elective refractive surgery, and specifically for presbyopia. 

The leading place for refractive surgery in Thailand is TRSC. They are not the cheapest  (nor the most expensive), but they are by far thevery  best and were the very first place in Thailand to do refractive surgery.

https://en.trsclasik.com/treatment

There intake and pre-screening process is extremely thorough  and based on findings they will give you detailed reocmmendations specific to your situation along with clear quantified estimnates for what resuklts yo ucan expect. With no "hard sell".

Their prices are listed on the website.

If what you meant was was refractive lens exchange (removing the natural lends in your eye and replacing with an artifical implant) I suggest you let TRSC tell you why they do not perform this and what alternative, less drastic, approaches they have to vision correction (e.g. in the case of presbyopia,  NV FemtoLASIK, NV LASIK or NV PRK).

Whatever approach you opt for, I strongly  recommend against doing this in the provinces.  (It also will nto cost more in Bkk than in Pattaya - in fact often the opposite).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I assume you mean Rutnion Hospital which is excellent though like anywhere, it does depend on the doctor you select. Beware of Google reviews, these tend to attract posters with a grudge and you can find negative reviews on anyplace & anyone. Rutnin is by far the best place to go for eye diseases. However,  since you mention prior Raindrop surgery I assume that by "multifocal, non-ctaract surgery" you mean some type of elective refractive surgery, and specifically for presbyopia. 

The leading place for refractive surgery in Thailand is TRSC. They are not the cheapest  (nor the most expensive), but they are by far thevery  best and were the very first place in Thailand to do refractive surgery.

https://en.trsclasik.com/treatment

There intake and pre-screening process is extremely thorough  and based on findings they will give you detailed reocmmendations specific to your situation along with clear quantified estimnates for what resuklts yo ucan expect. With no "hard sell".

Their prices are listed on the website.

If what you meant was was refractive lens exchange (removing the natural lends in your eye and replacing with an artifical implant) I suggest you let TRSC tell you why they do not perform this and what alternative, less drastic, approaches they have to vision correction (e.g. in the case of presbyopia,  NV FemtoLASIK, NV LASIK or NV PRK).

Whatever approach you opt for, I strongly  recommend against doing this in the provinces.  (It also will nto cost more in Bkk than in Pattaya - in fact often the opposite).

Hi Sheryl ,  I did not know there is  an alternative to general cataract surgery . Can you please explain the alternatives in the highlighted  bold print above .

42 minutes ago, superal said:

Hi Sheryl ,  I did not know there is  an alternative to general cataract surgery . Can you please explain the alternatives in the highlighted  bold print above .

These are not alternatives to cataract surgery.

This poster was asking about elective refractive surgery for presbyopia (far sightedness)

Not exactly.

Raindrop was intended to correct presbyopia but not diminish hyperopia. The FDA removed it from the market as it had severe consequences in a large number of patients (I was one of them).

The reason I'm interested in non-cataract IOL is the multi-focusing function (to address presbyopia and hyperopia) of the latest lens technology through fluid chambers.  The standard ICL multi-focus  lens (ambient light issue) and the mono lens (loss of depth perception and loss of full vision from both eyes) are not of interest. Finally, Lasik will not correct both presbyopia and hyperopia.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:19 AM, JetsetBkk said:

Price 140,000 baht.

On 3/12/2022 at 8:55 PM, superal said:

That is scary and a senior doctor ? 

Is the dedicated eye hospital name start with a R and end with a N ? If so I also read the reviews about overcharging foreigners , true costs well over estimated cost and the long waiting times , despite having an appointment some patients waited another 4 hours beyond their appointed time and one person was charged because he was unable to wait too long . In my experience an appointment time is given in both private and government hospitals but every patient is given the same appointment time and then it is first come first served . As for the inflated foreigner charge which was condoned by the Thai government recently ( farangs may pay more for services across the board ) , I will be selective in my choice for medical treatment and although it may cost more , treatment in most western countries hospitals is much more reassuring when considering risks and post op success . 

It was stated to me the doctor worked at B***k** hospital in Pattaya.

As to pricing I'm not super fixated on the cost especially when compared to the States.  As they say, you only have 1 pair of eyes and I want as close to fully functional as I can get even if I need to pay a higher amount.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 9:19 AM, JetsetBkk said:

Price 140,000 baht.

Did you chose a lens for reading or distance?  If for reading what is your distance vision like. Example:  can you readily read street signs from a distance while also reading google maps on your phone mounted on the handlebars of a motorbike?

Also, how has the surgery impacted your depth perception?

Thanks,

Shawn

5 hours ago, ATLShawn said:

Did you chose a lens for reading or distance?  If for reading what is your distance vision like. Example:  can you readily read street signs from a distance while also reading google maps on your phone mounted on the handlebars of a motorbike?

Also, how has the surgery impacted your depth perception?

Thanks,

Shawn

I chose lenses for distance. I don't think it even occurred to me to have lenses for reading as I have always worn glasses. I also think I had a little astigmatism which, if I recall correctly, may have affected my decision.

Sorry to be so vague, but this was 4 years ago and I can't honestly remember everything that affected my decisions. One thing for sure was that I always wanted photochromic glasses as the sun here is so bright and I like it when they go dark!

An Australian friend of mine has varifocal lenses but I decided against.

Distance vision is still perfect. Street signs are OK and when I look down through the bottom of my glasses, I can focus on things close up. I automatically look through the correct part of the lens to get close up objects in focus. e.g. right now the keyboard is in focus, the computer screen is, and I can look over the top of the glasses to watch the F1 qualifying!

If anything, I would change the varifocal glasses so that more of the glass at the top of each lens was plain glass, i.e. no prescription at all. The ones I have now - the only ones I have had - do have a slight effect on the distance vision, so I often look over the top, avoiding the glasses altogether.

I don't believe my "depth perception" has been affected, but not 100% sure what that is!

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 4:01 PM, JetsetBkk said:

I chose lenses for distance. I don't think it even occurred to me to have lenses for reading as I have always worn glasses. I also think I had a little astigmatism which, if I recall correctly, may have affected my decision.

Sorry to be so vague, but this was 4 years ago and I can't honestly remember everything that affected my decisions. One thing for sure was that I always wanted photochromic glasses as the sun here is so bright and I like it when they go dark!

An Australian friend of mine has varifocal lenses but I decided against.

Distance vision is still perfect. Street signs are OK and when I look down through the bottom of my glasses, I can focus on things close up. I automatically look through the correct part of the lens to get close up objects in focus. e.g. right now the keyboard is in focus, the computer screen is, and I can look over the top of the glasses to watch the F1 qualifying!

If anything, I would change the varifocal glasses so that more of the glass at the top of each lens was plain glass, i.e. no prescription at all. The ones I have now - the only ones I have had - do have a slight effect on the distance vision, so I often look over the top, avoiding the glasses altogether.

I don't believe my "depth perception" has been affected, but not 100% sure what that is!

Also the cost of varifocal  lenses is a lot more and for some people they do not work out as they are not easy to adapt to , plus short distance eyesight/vision  can worsen over time . Better off with your selection .

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 6:11 PM, rascalman said:

I have had it done to one eye with drops used for anesthesia. It was no pain at all finishing in less than 20 minutes. Get other done soon. 

When they do it do they hold your head in position by any device? So you dont move.

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

When they do it do they hold your head in position by any device? So you dont move.

I've just - in the last seven weeks - had both my eyes done at Jomtien Hospital.  The second eye has its final examination next Friday - not expecting anything adverse as all seems fine.  It will be good to get off the eye drops!

As for the procedure itself, I can't say that it was exactly a relaxing experience - I was a bit surprised that no sedation was offered - but there was no pain and only minimal discomfort.  It takes about 20 minutes and my head was not restrained.  The eye is immobilized, of course - not sure exactly how this is done - and is numbed with anaesthetic drops beforehand. 

Post-op you use antibiotic eye drops for a month and also corticosteroid drops for a while to alleviate any corneal swelling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...