Can anyone tell me, please, in our Solar System, how many Planets there might be? Two? 12? 152? NONE?

15 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

oh my... I had a business in rural Central Pennsylvania and most of the kids probably had no idea what an 'Asian Student' meant/was... the lack of simple every day knowledge was appalling... and Ma and Pa had no idea either... 

Central Pennsylvania?

Did you mean Lancaster?

Surely, you did not mean Gladwyne or Bryn Mawr.

Anyway, Pennsylvania is a beautiful state, and almost everyone in Pennsylvania envies the Amish way of life.

No cheesesteaks for the Amish, though, in most cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

So then, given enough energy, if you left Earth for the Pleiades Cluster, say at 99.998 percent of the speed of light, then...how much older would you be, by the time you arrived, after you left Earth, if you checked your watch? 

Care to work this out?

So that would be really fast at 0.99998c. 

450 x sqrt(1 - 0.99998) = 2 years ????

Just now, Elad said:

If you left Earth at 0.9 c then it would take 218 years for the traveler.

OK, fine....

And then, if your spaceship had a mass of 3000 kilograms, how much energy would be required to accelerate it to 0.9 c, and then decelerate it once you arrived?

29 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Central Pennsylvania?

Did you mean Lancaster?

Central Pennsylvania is State College... Draw an X starting from each corner... 

Though I did own a business in Lancaster County - in Bird in Hand Pa... for a couple of years and I worked and befriended many of the Amish Community... They were my neighbors and I sold quilts for the ladies... lots of fun. 

25 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Central Pennsylvania is State College... Draw an X starting from each corner... 

Though I did own a business in Lancaster County - in Bird in Hand Pa... for a couple of years and I worked and befriended many of the Amish Community... They were my neighbors and I sold quilts for the ladies... lots of fun. 

Pennsylvania is a beautiful state.

Bird in Hand is an interesting name.

Regarding the film, Witness, the cinematography was spectacular, showing the beauty of the land.

A quilting bee is something I have never experienced.

Being under a quilt with the ladies is something one should experience, at least once, during one's lifetime.

Sooner or later, this Amish lifestyle will completely fragment, given what we know about our present world.

We shall wait and see. 

1 hour ago, 2long said:

Ask a Thai (even educated adults Thais) how many weeks are in a year!

Feel free to 'quote me' here with the answers you get from them.

48, according to the one I just asked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

There are hundreds of asteroid-like or planetoid-like objects in the asteroid belt and Kuiper belt but these are not true planets because the sizes are too small

A planet is a planet if it:

1. orbits a star;

2. has enough gravity to be round;

3. and clears its own surroundings.

Has nothing really to do with size.

1 hour ago, 2long said:

Better to ask how many budda days in a year! 

Different culture needs different questions and to be true, many western young generation know more about Kardishian alike than anything else. 

What did we really know when we where young? It was very basic knownledge based on Christian values, at least where I come from. Call it camouflaged half truths

• Like 1

A quilting bee is something I have never experienced.

The worst quilts come from a quilting bee... the stitching will be irregular as it is individual to each quilter as opposed to a quilt done by one lady which will have uniform stitches... 

"Bird in Hand" got 10% of the tourists that "Intercourse" got just a few miles down the road... in case you ask - What's in a name? I thought a name change to "Aural Sects" might help tourism... but I was just a newbie to the area... I had lots of fun and good business while I was there. 

Sooner or later, this Amish lifestyle will completely fragment

That has been happening for a long time - - some believe no phone, no electric - others believe if you have it in the barn, it is ok... and so they splinter. 

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The strangest thing which continues to astound me is that, no matter how smart young Asian students might be, they seem to lack any knowledge of what is outside of their own country,

Please don't tell me you are an American--------:omfg:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Daimler said:

I asked my Thai wife where was Australia. She said how would i know just get baht bus.

She had already flown to Bali and Hong Kong so i expected a reason able answer.

This almost caused a divorce as she said why would i want to know this as i can't make money with this knowledge.

My mate told me to shut up and accept the answer.

Knowing where OZ is ... who cares, unless planning a holiday there.

Selective knowledge for practical use.  I asked my wife about yellow Monday & the King's color, and surprisingly, she didn't know.  Ask her about Buddhism, and she hasn't a clue, or been to a Wat, for herself, in over 35+ yrs, and then only there because siblings took her.  That blows her Thai friends' mind.

But, she now could easier oversee the construction of any house, as she did with build #2 and doing now with #3.  At present, except anything automotive or electrical, there isn't much she can't do.  Or teach herself within a week how to do.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

My gf know what she can pick and eat, cook, plant, cultivate and preserve from the Forrest and from the vegetable garden. 

But she also thought it was 48 weeks in a year, after multiply 4 weeks times 12 months

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Nice image you posted.

Maybe this good image will help some to better visualize the structure of the planetary system in which we reside.

However, next time, please include the Kuiper Belt, which is also interesting.

My favorite planet is Neptune... What about yours?

I remember at school about 60 years ago being told by the science teacher  ' If you snigger at Uranus one more time Ross junior you will be sent to the headmaster and on coming back to this class your bottom will be shining like the setting sun.'   The happiest days of your life ...not likely .......sir.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

My gf know what she can pick and eat, cook, plant, cultivate and preserve from the Forrest and from the vegetable garden. 

But she also thought it was 48 weeks in a year, after multiply 4 weeks times 12 months

If the world went to sh!t, my wife could keep us alive, playing farmer & foraging.   Drop me off in the forest, and come back in 2 weeks, and you'll probably be recovering my body.  Good thing we live surfside, as I could fish and desalinate the water.  A diet of coconuts, mangoes & pineapples ... and seafood.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The worst quilts come from a quilting bee... the stitching will be irregular as it is individual to each quilter as opposed to a quilt done by one lady which will have uniform stitches... 

"Bird in Hand" got 10% of the tourists that "Intercourse" got just a few miles down the road... in case you ask - What's in a name? I thought a name change to "Aural Sects" might help tourism... but I was just a newbie to the area... I had lots of fun and good business while I was there. 

Have you ever been to Blue Ball, PA?

(So, obviously, you have been to Pennsylvania.)

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If the world went to sh!t, my wife could keep us alive, playing farmer & foraging.   Drop me off in the forest, and come back in 2 weeks, and you'll probably be recovering my body.  Good thing we live surfside, as I could fish and desalinate the water.  A diet of coconuts, mangoes & pineapples ... and seafood.

I would survive In Norway two weeks, and even longer if I had all the tools needed, but you are right, their survival skills are superior to most of us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2long said:

I sent this out to the ladies of ill repute in my contacts list.

Here are the replies so far:

54. Any more questions?????!

I don't know × 7

Why? × 5

I don't know. Pay me and I tell you.

No time for blah blah.

52 and one more day

What? ×3

<deleted>

Hi

Ho

Day off 5555555

I looking for sexy cam

2019 = 52 week

52 I think

Idk why?

Around 52

48, right?

You miss me?

Am fine

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

????????????

Blue Ball after visiting Intercourse.  Bird in Hand may be a safer option.

Ex-Philly boy so visited Lancaster county quite often.  Actually drove daily, 'line truck' Philly to Harrisburg, for a few years, then did local deliveries, some as far down as Lititz, before returning to Philly at night.  At the time, cutting through Lancaster via 30 / 283 was better than the turnpike.  Not sure now, as probably a bit congested.

Use to ride the scooter out that way quite often, pop into Miller's occasionally, before they had any major competition, about 40 yrs ago.  A couple of the outlet stores actually had good prices, and remember buying my Citizens' dive watch there at half the MSRP.

Lovely county, as is most of PA, outside of Philly.  Philly used to be a great little city itself.

23 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Drove through it - rather nondescript...

I went to school in Philly - lived many years outside of State College Pa... 

why?

14 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I sent this out to the ladies of ill repute in my contacts list.

Here are the replies so far:

54. Any more questions?????!

I don't know × 7

Why? × 5

I don't know. Pay me and I tell you.

No time for blah blah.

52 and one more day

What? ×3

<deleted>

Hi

Ho

Day off 5555555