Thailand launches Flexible Plus Programme offering privileges for foreign investors

webfact

Wow, Curious who would actually do this. I am sure their are some that would. But who?

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Flexible Plus Programme is available to Thailand Privilege Cardholders with a membership validity of at least 10 years or more, and the value of the membership fee must be more than 1 million Thai Baht.

Still no one who is retired here can invest through conventional means which really tells the story.

I don't understand the work permit part.... Is it open ended and work wherever or however (for yourself)? Then can apply for Permanent Residence after a few years? If you have a job, you'd have a work permit already I think (without having to invest $1 MM)? Can someone explain the angle/advantage here?

• Like 1

Dang, missed out again being a retired working middle class westerner. My $2400 USD a month income just under the needed funds to qualify. OK, granted Thailand should pursue all avenues to see what works but ... folks, how many of the rich and famous versus the number of working middle class who could be attracted to settle in Thailand? I suppose it is the old story  of Oscar de la Renta, NYC versus Target customers (note, I did not cite Walmart).

Edited by wwest5829

Wife: "Oh, look at that! Thailand gives out 10-year visas for a mere $30,000..."

Husband: "Wow, that sounds like a great deal!

Wife: "Wait a minute... the small print also says that you're required to invest a minimum $1 million in order to qualify."

Husband: "Really? Hm.... let's instead go get citizenship in Dominica or St. Kitts and Nevis for only a $250,000 investment. No more visas needed at all. AND it's much closer to home,. AND they all speak English there, too."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Onerak said:

I see 80KUSD (or 40KUSD according to Bangkok Post) with an MS degree. 

What they don't get is that virtually nobody did a masters degree way back when and so many people who are wealthy will have just done a Bachelors, if that. Some of the smartest wealthiest people I know did not go to University. It is only with the debasing of education that the definition of 'educated' now means a Masters degree, as has always been the case in Thailand. Note I looked at some Thammasat Masters thesis in Finance - they were NOT Masters level as it once was in the West, they were at best prior western undergraduate level.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

People who have $1m to invest but don't mind spending a morning at immigration every year. Must be millions of them.

Not to mention 90 day reports, TM 30's, loads of paperwork, and the threat of getting banned for a year if you're late filing for your yearly extension.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cleareye said:

Not to mention 90 day reports, TM 30's, loads of paperwork, and the threat of getting banned for a year if you're late filing for your yearly extension.

I thought they were going to be excused from 90 day reports. Presumably there is a level of wealth where foreigners cease to be a threat to "national security".

Step 1  The participant must be a Thailand Privilege Card member.
For privilege entry visa holders, they must upgrade their visa to either Elite Ultimate Privilege, Elite Superiority Extension, or Elite Privilege Access.

Step 2 – Submit your request to Thailand Privilege Card Co. Ltd.

Step 3 – Invest in Thailand
Investment funds must be transferred or invested in the specific type of investment in Thailand within a period of 1 year from the date of requesting to join the program or from the date of approval to become a Thailand Elite Visa member. Total investment value must not be less than 1 million USD which is divided into 3 types of investments.  These include real estate investments, limited company or public company investment, or stock exchange investment.

Step 4 – Eligibility to participate in Flexible Plus Program

Members who will meet the requirements will be qualified to participate in the program are qualified to request a “Work Permit” by applying for a change of visa from Privilege Entry Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa at the immigration office.

Once the visa type is changed, a work permit can be requested in accordance with the conditions mandated by the Ministry of Labour

Upon receiving a work permit, members must report to Thailand Privilege Card, Co. Ltd. and present proof of investment reports annually for 5 years from the initial investment date.

15 minutes ago, Dan747 said:

Upon receiving a work permit, members must report to Thailand Privilege Card, Co. Ltd. and present proof of investment reports annually for 5 years from the initial investment date.

This part made me laugh....sort of like the annual showing of money in the bank for your extension of stay.  When will all of this horse feces stop and this government get a real idea as to who is coming, is here or who wants to come and retire here.  If one wanted to work here there are already so many steps and hoops to jump through.

1 million dollar to invest, a lot of paperwork to get your visa, another lot of other and the same paperwork for the labour department, more paperwork and copies required for the yellow book and than you can stay .....A retirement visa is much easier and cheaper... Than I am in charge of my own million ( if I had it ).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Set up Thai company 40,000 baht

Pay your lawyer to manage your WP 20,000 baht

Hire 4 Thais to clean your house, wash your car and do your garden 48,000 per month

Pay your lawyer to do 90 day reporting 5000 baht per quarter

Get accountant friend of lawyer to do yearly company audits and pay property tax

Buy property in company name

Repeat annually.

It's not that hard.

BTW, I just guessed these costs because my staff and lawyer handles everything. I have no idea. I just show up once a year to show my pretty face at Immigration for about 30 minutes.

12 hours ago, FalangKino said:

How many nomads have that? 0.1 percent.

Why call it a nomad visa if it doesn't apply or most nomads can never fit the requirements.

Most nomads I have met in my lifetime are earning 100K. There is also a possibility of lots of Chinese and Indian remote workers getting the visa. I know lots of big American companies like Intel, Cisco, AMD, Oracle etc. are hiring Indian remote workers for 60-80K salary. I don't have a definite numbers but I think 40K USD salary will attract a large number of nomads.