Looking for advice on visa run

Switching to a new job has thrown quite a headache my way, my current Non-B will expire on March 31st and I will not begin at my new workplace until May 2nd.

Looking for advice on what would be the best place to go to obtain a 60 day tourist visa to tide me over for the 4 or 5 weeks until my new workplace sorts me out. In the past I have just visited Vientiane and that has always been an easy and straightforward trip. From what I gather now the only way to visit Laos is through a tour group and it doesn't sound particularly feasible unless someone can suggest otherwise. 

I am presuming that Phnom Penh is right now the only viable option?

3 minutes ago, Terence47 said:

Almost in the same boat as u, my visa is expiring on the 21st. Mind sharing what is your solution for this problem?

He provided the solution. He is planning to exit the country and apply for another visa until his new job starts and he can convert once again to a non-B.  That's likely what you will need to do also.

5 minutes ago, Terence47 said:

Would u happen to know whats a inexpensive way to do a border run these days?

They're all expensive compared to pre-pandemic. There's a few reports on FB of people doing runs to Cambodia. Your biggest expense will be PCR tests on both sides, plus the quarantine hotel + PCR again when getting back here.

15 minutes ago, Terence47 said:

Would u happen to know whats a inexpensive way to do a border run these days?

You do realize borders are closed in the practical sense. 

Already mentioned above is option to fly to Phnom Penh.

Personally if I had permit running out, I would spend time somewhere else. 

Hopefully land borders will start to open. 

Vietnam hopefully open soon via air. Match 15 was thrown around but still no exact details.

If you have good relationship with your employer, you can try to ask them about your job termination letter. You can explain them the situation and ask them if they can change the last working day in the termination letter. So, you dont need to leave the country. But you must be ready to do all the paper work at the same day with your new work.

Another option is to take a tour to Laos and try to get a visa. Cambodia seems the best option at the moment so far. But Laos was the easiest for visa always. So your choice.

Although there might be a small problem. Some of my friends finished their contract and went to Laos (before covid) and asked for tourist visa so they can look for another job, though at vientiene and savanakhet told them they will not give them tourist visa because they lived in thailand long enough! Yes, this happened to 2-3 people in different times. Actually one happened right in front of my eyes at savanakhet (didnt know the poor guy). So i would check this first. Best way might be to give a call thai embassy in savanakhet and vientiene explain the situation and ask them about it. safety first.

Edited by problemfarang
  • Like 1

I looked into a visa run to reset my visa as well, hearing that used to be the norm, easy, and cheap.

My other options were finding an extension or visa that allowed me to stay here without leaving.  

Most options were 90-s100k, one 65k  (so 90k again).  (for a year).

I was having extreme difficulties finding a fair solution because I was converted to a volunteer visa when they said that was our only option to stay before the amnesties started.

Right now there are no land borders open (cause, you know, covid is safer in small confined areas than your car with just your family near you 555).  Only flights.

Flights are not a big expense, but by my calculations it would run me about 20,000 to go anywhere and come back (assuming I stay a week where ever I went.) with all the hotels, hotel quarantines, pcr tests, tickets, plus all the time spent with paperwork needing filed and to get approved both there and back...PLUS any new rule that could happend while I'm away preventing me back in.

I eventually found one for 40k for 9 months with a school, that did not require me to leave and come back.
They also have visas for 25k for 3 months.

I strongly considered the visa reset by leaving country, and coming back and doing 1900 extensions again or finding a great deal at a school for an ED visa.

But I decided the extra fee worth it so I did not have to jump thru hoops every other month or risk any further changes in "what's ok to be here."  Peace of mind is of great value to me.

I also didn't want to spend what is valuable time to me doing all the hoops and flights and bus rides, etc.

However, if you wanted a small vacation anyways, leaving may be a way better option for you?
Plus, I see you will have a long term visa waiting in about 60 days anyways?  So your needs are not exactly the same as mine.

But, in short, 20k to 25k minimum whether you stay here and use a solution or do a visa run is what I've seen you'll have to spend if you can't get an exception from your work. 

No current simple "cheap" solutions anymore at this time.

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You do realize borders are closed in the practical sense. 

Already mentioned above is option to fly to Phnom Penh.

Personally if I had permit running out, I would spend time somewhere else. 

Hopefully land borders will start to open. 

Vietnam hopefully open soon via air. Match 15 was thrown around but still no exact details.

No details yet on how to get a visa either

Only countries actually open right now (no test/quarantine, same as 2019)

Costa Rica

Denmark

Bahrain

Dominican Republic

El Salvador

Ireland

Iceland

Hungary

Mexico

Jordan

Norway

Romania

Slovenia

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Darkside Gray said:

No details yet on how to get a visa either

Think your referring to Vietnam.

Yep being Oz I require a visa.

I sent the agent I used many times prior to covid. 

Haven't received and reply and on another net site the automated chat states what I'm after unavailable. 

In reality I'm just tyre kicking as I will wait till things are far more clear. 

31 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I looked into a visa run to reset my visa as well, hearing that used to be the norm, easy, and cheap.

My other options were finding an extension or visa that allowed me to stay here without leaving.  

Most options were 90-s100k, one 65k  (so 90k again).  (for a year).

I was having extreme difficulties finding a fair solution because I was converted to a volunteer visa when they said that was our only option to stay before the amnesties started.

Right now there are no land borders open (cause, you know, covid is safer in small confined areas than your car with just your family near you 555).  Only flights.

Flights are not a big expense, but by my calculations it would run me about 20,000 to go anywhere and come back (assuming I stay a week where ever I went.) with all the hotels, hotel quarantines, pcr tests, tickets, plus all the time spent with paperwork needing filed and to get approved both there and back...PLUS any new rule that could happend while I'm away preventing me back in.

I eventually found one for 40k for 9 months with a school, that did not require me to leave and come back.

I strongly considered the visa reset by leaving country, and coming back and doing 1900 extensions again or finding a great deal at a school for an ED visa.

But I decided the extra fee worth it so I did not have to jump thru hoops every other month or risk any further changes in "what's ok to be here."  Peace of mind is of great value to me.

I also didn't want to spend what is valuable time to me doing all the hoops and flights and bus rides, etc.

However, if you wanted a small vacation anyways, leaving may be a way better option for you?
Plus, I see you will have a long term visa waiting in about 60 days anyways?  So your needs are not exactly the same as mine.

But, in short, 20k to 25k minimum whether you stay here and use a solution or do a visa run is what I've seen you'll have to spend if you can't get an exception from your work. 

No current simple "cheap" solutions anymore at this time.

Yes, I have been doing the maths over the last few days and honestly 20k is the absolute minimum this will cost me between two PCR tests, two flights, hotel for at least two nights and a hotel when I get back to Thailand. It's doable but the whole process is an absolute pain in the <deleted>.

I would really appreciate it if you could pass on info regarding the 25k visa options.

Thanks for your post, it's helpful to know what alternative options are out there. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

What kind of school is that? A language school? I thought the problem with informal schools was that people cannot attend longer than one year after entering the country, but maybe some schools found a way around that rule or there has been a change due to Covid.

I got in touch with an agency this morning who told me that I could apply for a '60 day family visiting' visa without leaving Thailand. 

Does anyone know anything further about this? The agency don't seem interested in the task as I presume it wouldn't net them a lot of cash. 

47 minutes ago, Caldera said:

What kind of school is that? A language school? I thought the problem with informal schools was that people cannot attend longer than one year after entering the country, but maybe some schools found a way around that rule or there has been a change due to Covid.

Yes. language.  They also offer Mu Thai defense too I believe.  Several did.

When I applied I applied for 1 year for 50k.  Over the weekend from when I applied to Monday the (local??) immigration would no longer take native english speaking countries for that long, and I had to downgrade to 9 month offer.

During my emergency search, I had new things popping up daily, and visa types being revoked daily.

**If you knew the rules yesterday, you probably know nothing today 555

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sleepwalker999 said:

I got in touch with an agency this morning who told me that I could apply for a '60 day family visiting' visa without leaving Thailand. 

Does anyone know anything further about this? The agency don't seem interested in the task as I presume it wouldn't net them a lot of cash. 

worth following up with at your local immigration

7 minutes ago, sleepwalker999 said:

It is a 60 day extension to visit a Thai wife or child. Are you married to a Thai or have a Thai child?

It is standard extension available only once per entry to the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sleepwalker999 said:

Yes, I am married to a Thai and have children as well.

You can apply for it at you local immigration office. Your wife will need to be with you when you apply.

You will need the standard passport page copies needed for a extension and a completed TM7 form.

A copy of you marriage certificate (orignal to show if needed), copies of you wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her.

Some offices may also want a recent printout of your Kor Ror marriage registry that can be requested at any Amphoe or Khet (Bangkok).

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for it at you local immigration office. Your wife will need to be with you when you apply.

You will need the standard passport page copies needed for a extension and a completed TM7 form.

A copy of you marriage certificate (orignal to show if needed), copies of you wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her.

Some offices may also want a recent printout of your Kor Ror marriage registry that can be requested at any Amphoe or Khet (Bangkok).

Thank you so much for the help that is a huge relief.

Is this the document that I require ? 

6 hours ago, Dart12 said:

The 25k extension is likely a highly dubious medical extension that I would stay away from unless you have absolutely no other option. I can imagine this being frowned upon to an even greater extent than the shady volunteer visa/extension.

If the 40k option is for an informal school, be very sure the agent can really come through. As commented already by someone else, this option is normally not open past the 12 month anniversary of your arrival in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

The 25k extension is likely a highly dubious medical extension that I would stay away from unless you have absolutely no other option. I can imagine this being frowned upon to an even greater extent than the shady volunteer visa/extension.

If the 40k option is for an informal school, be very sure the agent can really come through. As commented already by someone else, this option is normally not open past the 12 month anniversary of your arrival in Thailand.

If it's the same as the one I got recently, it's not medical. Only a specific office offers the 3 month extension though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mikeheo said:

If it's the same as the one I got recently, it's not medical. Only a specific office offers the 3 month extension though.

That sounds rather dubious, as there's a relatively short list of specific reasons an extension can be applied for. What's this extension based on?

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

That sounds rather dubious, as there's a relatively short list of specific reasons an extension can be applied for. What's this extension based on?

It's a 90 day non immigrant visa for the purpose of applying for a school, job or retirement, to give extra time required to do so. The extension is completely legit but of course because only one office is offering it, it's up to you to make your own conclusions. It's not based on a medical stay though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mikeheo said:

It's a 90 day non immigrant visa for the purpose of applying for a school, job or retirement, to give extra time required to do so. The extension is completely legit but of course because only one office is offering it, it's up to you to make your own conclusions. It's not based on a medical stay though.

If it's a locally issued non-immigrant visa, it's not an extension. It's important not to mix that up. Your situation must be different from @Dart12 in that case, who was already on a non-immigrant entry, so it's a different kind of offer.

• Like 1

Please ignore the post below. I just saw the clarification above that this was not an extension.

2 hours ago, Mikeheo said:

Can you, perhaps, post the extension stamp. It must be one of the officially allowed extensions of some description. Three month extensions are usually only urgent temporary work, medical or involved in a court case, as far as I know. The extension stamp should refer to one of the reasons given in Immigration Order 327/2557 (2014) such as 2.25 (receiving medical treatment) or 2.26 (litigation or court proceedings)

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1