Plugin or take to the bike as fuel prices soar

webfact

35 minutes ago, connda said:

Where do you think 'electricity' comes from.  Perhaps the magic electricity fairy?  Here - a bulk of the electricity is create via coal. 

Personally, fuel can double in price again.  I'll be fine.  I don't worry about it.

If that shortage or high price for electricity is the reality in 10 years, that will only be because Thailand will have continued to be very behindhand in creating renewable power generation capacity. 

As for your comment about coal...

"In general, the major source of power generation in Thailand comes from natural gas, contributing to 66% of the total share in 2014. The other significant sources are coal and lignite which make up 21% of the share. Renewable energy currently only represents 3% of the power produced in Thailand."

https://www.boi.go.th › alt_energy_5a4faa2f9dc0b

If 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Will this more expensive fuel stop Thai drivers from emptying their tank to get one car ahead of you at the next red light?

In the lowered pickup spewing out black smoke from excess fuel pointlessly dumping in excess fuel and accompanied with a tailgate looking like it needs it’s @rse wiped ! ???? 

These are dreamland TAT figures. There is no way, at the rate things are going, that there will be 15 million electric cars on the road here in 10 years... calling BS on that.

It is going to take much longer and there will have to be large subsidies on everything related to convince your average Somchai to go electric, plus it will need to be as convenient as a diesel pickup is now. Yes, the rich can do it, but it'll just end up as another marker between the haves and have nots.

On top of all that, then I guarantee that the pitchfork wavers will be out in force the minute it gets uncomfortable (look at the truckers whinging over 30 baht a liter). Remember a decade or so ago when diesel went up to about 45 baht a liter? There was almost a revolution.

Things are not as simple in the real world as your green theorists think in their plush eco-office. Going in a green direction is fine, but it will take much longer than they think and there are a lot of obsticles that have only been given scant thought. Unless it's economically friendly to your average person that isn't in a 1st-world country... it won't fly very well for obvious reasons.

Fossil fuel cars and trucks are here to stay for a long while yet in places like Thailand, basically because they can't go electric yet on a large scale. As an aside, how are you going to wean the poor of internal combustion motorcycles any time soon? Good luck with that.

40 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I agree the internet is my friend. I use it everyday. Just googled charging station near me and charging station <district name> and there are none. Just like I see with my own eyes.

There are one or two charging points in neighboring districts tho at least 10km away according to Google.

Learn to use it better then.

Or better yet, read the thread before posting.   Two of us have already posted links to two different sources for finding charge points in Thailand.

Charge points are not listed on Google Maps native, at least not consistently.

plugshare.com

2 minutes ago, n8sail said:

Learn to use it better then.

Or better yet, read the thread before posting.   Two of us have already posted links to two different sources for finding charge points in Thailand.

plugshare.com

Especially since the various providers of charging stations say they have built a disproportionate number of charging stations in the bangkok area.

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

A bit late to promote an electric car... Besides if you buy one where can you charge??? almost nowhere a charging point.. In last years Thaikland did not do anything do get greener..

Then get a self-charging hybrid electric car!

But wait a minute.....what fuel does it use to charge itself?   LOL

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

A good reason to accelerate renewables. Even before the huge spike in fossil fuel prices renewable electricity was already cheaper than coal and on a par with natural gas in most locales. 

Something else to consider, the more electric vehicles in the future will mean not just more electric charging points but an upgrade in the national grid wiring to take the extra current needed.

Is Thailand ready for that or even considered it?

Never forget all the electricity generate from the natural gas. Russia stop exporting gas, and they are the biggest gas supplier. So prepare for the electricity to increase double. 

Almost everything we use gas ... cooking, transportation and etc.

There seems to be this urban legend that electric vehicles are cheaper to own.  First, energy alternatives tend to be tied together.  If oil is expensive expect natural gas and coal to follow.  When it does most of the electricity comes from coal and natural gas powered power plants.  It follows that electric rates will also rise. 

Next, an electric car is more expensive to purchase initially, so a person has to calculate the depreciation expense over the life span of the car in an electric versus a gas powered vehicle.  You then have that the depreciation of an electric vehicle will be more pronounced as that vehicle approaches the time its batteries will need to be replaced.  Depending on the type of vehicle those costs will be between $5,000 - $20,000 USD not including labor. 

Finally, you have the expense of installing a charging station in your home.  If you select to use a commercial charging station, you have the inconvenience of waiting for the charge and the commerical rates for electric are higher than the home rate since the commerical station is making a profit on providing you with a charging station. 

So while it may feel satisfying to charge your EV and avoid the petrol stations these day, I "think" the cost savings over the life of the car may prove to be illusionary. 

29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Something else to consider, the more electric vehicles in the future will mean not just more electric charging points but an upgrade in the national grid wiring to take the extra current needed.

Is Thailand ready for that or even considered it?

Myth buster: Electric vehicles will overload the power grid

https://www.virta.global/blog/myth-buster-electric-vehicles-will-overload-the-power-grid

Did you try to search to see if you could find an answer to your question?

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Myth buster: Electric vehicles will overload the power grid

https://www.virta.global/blog/myth-buster-electric-vehicles-will-overload-the-power-grid

Did you try to search to see if you could find an answer to your question?

I have a very good friend who is employed very high up in the electricity generating/supply business in sunny California.

He said as many of the new type re-charging stations being installed are going to be of the high-powered fast charging types. As the numbers increase that charge at the same time the overhead cables will have to be upgraded to take the load or they will simply melt.

At the moment now an issue, but in the future definitely.

But maybe you know better.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I have a very good friend who is employed very high up in the electricity generating/supply business in sunny California.

He said as many of the new type re-charging stations being installed are going to be of the high-powered fast charging types. As the numbers increase that charge at the same time the overhead cables will have to be upgraded to take the load or they will simply melt.

At the moment now an issue, but in the future definitely.

But maybe you know better.

Maybe some authoritative person with a name and qualifications that can be checked actually agrees with this alleged friend of yours. But the fact is most charging of automobiles will take place at home overnight when there's a lot of spare capacity in the grid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, macgver said:

Never forget all the electricity generate from the natural gas. Russia stop exporting gas, and they are the biggest gas supplier. So prepare for the electricity to increase double. 

Couple of quibbles there; some sources rank USA as the largest net exporter of LNG, though it is close. Also Russia may be contending for #1, but far from the only source. Additionally gas is not the only source of electricity. Thailand already has the world's largest floating solar array. If prices and supply become problematic there are a variety of alternatives that are almost plug ins.

I am old enough to remember (barely!) before Rural Electrification was in effect at our family farm in western New Jersey. My current house in Arizona is four miles from the nearest utility pole. It was cheaper to install solar and wind.

Putin may think he has the world by the short hairs there, but I think alternatives and diminished expectations can go a long way. Many folks, globally, get by with little or no power, and many more remember how.

My boarding school in Connecticut had a 

spring house to cool the school's dairy herd's milk! No longer done in my day, but a few boys that started earlier recalled that. I did participate in harvesting by hand in the fall and sugaring in the spring. 

Can't personally do much of it now, but sure could teach a bunch if needed, as elders often do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, n8sail said:

As Khun La said...  PLENTY of <deleted> chargers in Thailand.   here's the App I use to find them and plan trips:

The beauty of ICE's... You don't have to plan your trips around finding a filling station.   That looks like a lot of charging stations but divide that by the number of EV's and it's not.  Plus, look on your map all the holes in coverage. 

Just a note, I see a number of electric bikes, scooters, even one or two electric unicycles going in and out of my village in Bang Phli, as I walk (stagger) the 1 1/2  klicks to the markets and back. It is already happening. Small, slow start, but buggy whip handles did not quite disappear overnight.????

6 hours ago, macgver said:

Don't forget ... Thai forum, and we don't get our n. gas from Russia.  Probably just a wee bit of oil, not used for the grid, which should be cheap, due to the ruble crash.

Russia is barely listed:

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/tha

Edited by KhunLA

44 minutes ago, impulse said:

The beauty of ICE's... You don't have to plan your trips around finding a filling station.   That looks like a lot of charging stations but divide that by the number of EV's and it's not.  Plus, look on your map all the holes in coverage. 

Minimal at the present, and all the charging stations I've noticed, either empty, or a slot open.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

BS! They"re using the Russia situation as a damn excuse to hike prices nothing more.

As fuel went up 1.60 baht liter  in one hit 2 days ago of the fuel used in Thailand, 36-39% is Gashol ,produced in country from cassava and molasses.

They could be something in that ,or more likely it is suberizing the diesel market.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:12 PM, KhunLA said:

Don't forget ... Thai forum, and we don't get our n. gas from Russia.  Probably just a wee bit of oil, not used for the grid, which should be cheap, due to the ruble crash.

Russia is barely listed:

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/tha

Since when has the price of oil or gas depended on the value of a producing nation's currency? It's about supply and demand.  If Russia does have to discount now it's not because of the value of the ruble but rather because of the restrictions imposed on its access to the world's financial system.

On 3/11/2022 at 2:04 PM, n8sail said:

plugshare.com

I notice on your link to plugshare.com that the results are similar to a Google search for my area. I.e. there a no public charging points in my Bangkok district. I can verify it as its what I see everyday with my own eyes. I live in one of the outskirt districts of Bangkok, mostly full of housing estates and see people charging at home.