Will 3 decades of Hopewell horror show have a shock happy ending for Thailand?

webfact

Hopewell-analysis-Thailand_web.jpg

The Supreme Administrative Court’s recent decision to retry the Hopewell case may help the government avoid paying a huge sum in compensation which has been dubbed the “price of stupidity”.

For the past two decades, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) and Transport Ministry have been caught up in a legal battle with the doomed mass-transit project’s contractor, Hopewell (Thailand), a subsidiary of Hong Kong-based Hopewell Holdings.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The state agencies lost the first round of the battle, which centers on the statute of limitations, leaving Thailand facing a compensation bill of around Bt30 billion.

Reason for retrial

However, the court last Friday (March 4) ruled in favor of the ministry and SRT’s request for a retrial with Hopewell (Thailand) Co Ltd, citing a Constitutional Court verdict last year as “new evidence” that warranted a review.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/will-3-decades-of-hopewell-horror-show-have-a-shock-happy-ending-for-thailand/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-03-11

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

The submarine will have been christened by monks, and red bull jr will be tried (in absentia?) before the SRT pays a satang on this one.

Barring some loss of face, like the seizure of an aircraft (again) this one will melt away.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

How on earth does the country expect to attract foreign investment with these types of shenanigans. 

They won't have any problem whatsoever. The risk is always factored into any investment at any price point, and Thailand is low risk, compared to say, Vietnam.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

They won't have any problem whatsoever. The risk is always factored into any investment at any price point, and Thailand is low risk, compared to say, Vietnam.

Lets see shall we...

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah huh…

Yeah that's right. Just open up your computer and check where the hard drive was made. Regionally Thailand is a very attractive place to do business or manufacture. It has been for a looooooong time. Trust me, I know. Hopewell is an abberation at the most. It hasn't changed a thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Yeah that's right. Just open up your computer and check where the hard drive was made. Regionally Thailand is a very attractive place to do business or manufacture. It has been for a looooooong time. Trust me, I know. Hopewell is an abberation at the most. It hasn't changed a thing.

We'll see...

We saw already, it is what it is. Do you have anything substantial to add? ... because the multinationals, manufacturing, infrastructure importations and related economics are all there in plain sight. There have also been countless SRT partnerships with international consortia since Hopewell. Or are you suggesting they hide in plain sight? Nobody cares when there is money to be made. No, one, cares. No one will ever care.

3 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Haven't the hard drive manufacturers just moved operations to, umm, Vietnam?

• Like 1

... So check who built every SRT project since Hopewell, who supplied the rolling stock, etcetera, etcetera...

Nobody cares about Hopewell Project. No one. . . and I guarantee you, none of you can give me one example of failed direct or indirect foreign investment as a result of Hopewell.

16 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

We saw already, it is what it is. Do you have anything substantial to add? ... because the multinationals, manufacturing, infrastructure importations and related economics are all there in plain sight. There have also been countless SRT partnerships with international consortia since Hopewell. Or are you suggesting they hide in plain sight? Nobody cares when there is money to be made. No, one, cares. No one will ever care.

I disagree. 

Oh and when replying to someone’s post it’s best to quote them rather than just responding under the post…

23 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I disagree. 

I find it funny that people are so blind to fact that they just ignore what's right in front of them. Thailand is full of foreign investment (private and state sectors) and has been ever since before and after Hopewell, which didn't change a thing. . . I ask for substantiation but get nothing and you instead choose to criticise my use of forum functionality. . .

23 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Oh and when replying to someone’s post it’s best to quote them rather than just responding under the post…

I disagree and I know how to use a forum. It's obvious who I'm responding to when it's the next immediate post.

18 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I find it funny that people are so blind to fact that they just ignore what's right in front of them. Thailand is full of foreign investment (private and state sectors) and has been ever since before and after Hopewell, which didn't change a thing. . . I ask for substantiation but get nothing and you instead choose to criticise my use of forum functionality. . .

My financial advisor often says past performance does not guarantee future performance, so I'll stick to my view that this whole debacle is not a welcoming sight for future investors. The fact you don't like this is irrelevant. 

18 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I disagree and I know how to use a forum. It's obvious who I'm responding to when it's the next immediate post.

Yeah right, that's why you don't quote or let posters know you are responding to their posts...lol. Now that is funny.

Edited by Bluespunk
double quote

The fact you don't like this is irrelevant.

The salient point I'm making is that the negative publicity already existed for decades. In fact, there was FAR more publicity on Hopewell back then, I was here, I remember it, and I used to live in Lak Si just a short distance from the project. The running joke locally was the chicane frontage road dodging the columns. Nobody cared then, nobody cares now. The sun, the wind and the rain will erode away the columns before anybody cares.

26 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

that's why you don't quote or let posters know you are responding to their posts

What do you want, a phone call?

2 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

The salient point I'm making is that the negative publicity already existed for decades. In fact, there was FAR more publicity on Hopewell back then, I was here, I remember it, and I used to live in Lak Si just a short distance from the project. The running joke locally was the chicane frontage road dodging the columns. Nobody cared then, nobody cares now. The sun, the wind and the rain will erode away the columns before anybody cares.

We'll see.

2 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

What do you want, a phone call?

From you, god no...