Death of a yoghurt delivery lady in Ratchaburi - pick-up parked half in the road

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported that the Muang district police in Ratchaburi in central Thailand were called after a motorcycle with attachments delivering yoghurt hit a parked pick-up.

Pictures showed the pick-up was parked half on the hard shoulder and half in the road itself. 

Dead at the scene was a yoghurt delivery lady aged 43 who had an address in Bangkok. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The pick-up was damaged at the back and the motorcycle had become entangled with the wheel arch propelling the lady 5 meters forward.

She suffered death from head injuries. 

Police are investigating and speaking to the 25 year old pick-up driver Panuphat who parked there. 

It happened on the Ratchaburi to Jom Beung Road in Moo 15. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-11

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 5

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

Pictures showed the pick-up was parked half on the hard shoulder and half in the road itself. 

That's because there isn't enough shoulder to park on.
Btw, this is SOP (standard operating procedure) here in Thailand as far as parking.  Given the picture, how did the motorcyclist not see the truck?  The only way this ends up the truck driver fault is if there is a law expressly making parking on a narrow shoulder illegal.  Considering I see it every day driving through the narrow roads in my own village?  It would be interesting to know how Thai traffic law see this case.  Doubt we'll ever find out though.

Btw: The cop parked his truck right in the middle of the lane.  So if someone hit him???  ????

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

So the pick-up car should instead have been parked half on the narrow hard shoulder and half on the pavement..?

Anybody here that know and can explain the rules..?

Rules are guidelines, guidelines are grey, grey blends in with the road.

There, all cleared up.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, prevention, enforcement of the law, or concern toward the prosecution of very reckless drivers.

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. Also, I had the benefit of my lovely Mom, as my instructor. She spent countless hours in the car with me giving me tips, advice, and teaching me driving etiquette, courtesy and respect toward other drivers. That was priceless, and I doubt many Thai kids benefit from that kind of guidance. 

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct?

It is all about catching people performing moving violations. That is what causes most accidents. And herein lies the deterrent. As long as everyone is allowed to get away with extremely reckless driving, entering the highway in front of an oncoming vehicle that is only 100 meters away, going 100kph, cutting in front of vehicles within one meter at high speeds, swerving like crazy idiots all over the highway, trucks and 40 year old cars occupying the fast lane doing 40kph, when other vehicles are approaching doing 120kph, drunk driving, etc, accidents, major injuries and deaths will continue to happen, and no amount of rhetoric and platitudes by the fabulously incompetent and insincere authorities are going to make any difference.

All of this applies even more so, if you are driving a bike with a sidecar, or a motorbike. Not to sound too cold, as I feel for the family of this woman, but Darwin was right. Some people are better equipped for survival than others. It takes some effort here. 

Sums it up perfectly. And nothing will change.

• Thanks 1

Continual road awareness (as it changes constantly), in all directions, is not taught/learned here. That is the only way you might survive on the roads here without an accident. However, in this case, even the eyes forward approach failed. RIP.

Thai people don't park - they just stop driving.

The truck is not moving and at a dead stop.  The poor woman just flat out runs into the back of it and, not having a helmet, bangs her head and passes from this life.   The law and right and wrong won't have much to do with it.  It's a shame about the lady.

• Like 2