llustration depicting trans discrimination goes viral

webfact

screenshot_17035.jpg

By Natcha Patanasophon

A cartoon illustration drew controversy Thursday night when an unidentified company rejected a trans woman’s application for simply being trans. Netizens began debating the policy as the cartoon went viral.

Contrast, a popular digital content creator, posted the new illustration on Thursday night. Contrast is widely known for their sarcastic content and they generally focus on social issues.

The piece raised eyebrows for accurately reflecting obstacles trans people face in the workplace.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/38483/llustration-depicting-trans-discrimination-goes-viral/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-03-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you think this is laughable. I think it's sad.

Recently I spoke with a Dr. engineer who told me that he spoke to universities who try to fill up as many positions as possible with blacks, gays, trans, etc. ore of less independent of their qualification. Because that makes the university look good in the eyes of some people.

Another reason they do this is to be able to hire a top qualified person for the top job - even if that top qualified person is white and male.

I am qualified and I have enough work and opportunities so for me personally it doesn't matter. But I think it's sad to see how crazy this world is already and it's even worse to see that the situation gets worse all the time.

Even if your statement about Universitie is true, what you wrote was "Some companies don't want white males anymore."  This is the first time I've ever seen that "company" apparently means "university".

And I notice you have no defense for your obviously ridiculous contradictory stances supporting the right of companies to discriminate based on "race, gender, age, whatever" and your alleged support of equal opportunity: "I am all for equal opportunities..."

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A "femme-boy" in our local shop dresses as a male while working, but has the largest painted eyebrows I've ever seen and bright red lipstick that doubles the size of the mouth.

Judging by the detailed comment he sure seems to have got your attention, though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I see you have a real passion for LGBQ matters and the subject is close to your heart, as you post on all threads about these subjects...usually with very long detailed posts....always AGAINST anything LGBQ. 

I think it's clear to everybody that your are on some kind of campaign against this group of people. 

That would be his prerogative and, so what, if he is on some kind of campaign, isn't that his (and my) right?   

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

In the case of the OP people should be employed for a job due to their skills, personality and ability to do the job...their sexual orientation, gender or race should not come into it.  

The presentation of that person to the company's customers if he was, potentially, to be in that position, comes into it!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you think this is laughable. I think it's sad.

Recently I spoke with a Dr. engineer who told me that he spoke to universities who try to fill up as many positions as possible with blacks, gays, trans, etc. ore of less independent of their qualification. Because that makes the university look good in the eyes of some people.

Another reason they do this is to be able to hire a top qualified person for the top job - even if that top qualified person is white and male.

I am qualified and I have enough work and opportunities so for me personally it doesn't matter. But I think it's sad to see how crazy this world is already and it's even worse to see that the situation gets worse all the time.

Expand  

Even if your statement about Universitie is true,

It is, in the US, and it has been well documented and reported, it's called "affirmative action".

Edited by Liverpool Lou

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That would be his prerogative and, so what, if he is on some kind of campaign, isn't that his (and my) right?   

It's his and your right to have that agenda. The problem is when that same agenda fuels the actions of employers to actually deprive others of equal opportunities. Equal opportunity is what your ally rather claims to support even though he specifically contradicted that right in the very same post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is, in the US, and it has been well documented and reported, it's called "affirmative action".

But the question is whether or not there also simultaneously exists affirmative discrimination. And, of course, as I pointed out, he cited Universities to support his claim the companies discriminate against white men. You ever hear of a university being called a company?

• Like 1