Terrible bus accident in Saraburi, seven deaths (not in the forum?)

KhunBENQ

Have I overlooked it or is there really no coverage of another terrible bus accident near Saraburi yesterday (near Robinson Saraburi where Mitrahphap HW 2 meets the ringroad/bypass).

Seven deaths was the last count. More victims in critical condition.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/at-least-five-passengers-killed-and-30-others-injured-in-bus-accident-in-thailands-saraburi/

buscrash.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Sad 1

I vowed never to travel on those buses years ago.

The drivers, by and large, are mental, on their phones, tired, driving too fast, tailgating and rarely take breaks.........having said that it could have been a burst tyre......but I doubt it.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

Saw the video on TikTok. Full speed and for no apparent reason  hitting a pillar of a flyover. Terrible to see. ..

Just looked at the video. Breathtaking. Straight road. Don't know whether such a bus can go any faster.

He comes off the track quite a distance before hitting the pillar.

If you dare to see it click the link:

https://twitter.com/Pat_ThaiPBS/status/1502884805801046020

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Until the accident investigation is completed we won't know the cause of this appalling accident. 

However, in general terms the role of sleep deprivation of bus drivers is well documented, though much of the blame should be directed towards their employers. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6783293/

It is a sad indictment of the authorities that there appears to be little will to tackle the issue.  As long as the bus companies keep turning a profit, the the health and safety implications for their employees and customers seems a rather distant concern. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

I vowed never to travel on those buses years ago.

The drivers, by and large, are mental, on their phones, tired, driving too fast, tailgating and rarely take breaks.........having said that it could have been a burst tyre......but I doubt it.

Any (or all) of the driver faults you mention could apply to any coach operator.  There is no safety device either e.g. 'dead man's handle' that railway drivers have in the event of stroke/heart attack.    

• Like 1

Just now, The Fugitive said:

Any (or all) of the driver faults you mention could apply to any coach operator.  There is no safety device either e.g. 'dead man's handle' that railway drivers have in the event of stroke/heart attack.    

Thinking about it, it could apply to most drivers on the road judging by the trek we regularly make between Bangkok and Isan.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Thinking about it, it could apply to most drivers on the road judging by the trek we regularly make between Bangkok and Isan.

We live only 11 km from a station on the North Eastern Railway line. If it was up to me I'd hire a Skylab to/from home and travel by railway. Mrs thinks she's safe driving her SUV and likes the convenience. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

We live only 11 km from a station on the North Eastern Railway line. If it was up to me I'd hire a Skylab to/from home and travel by railway. Mrs thinks she's safe driving her SUV and likes the convenience. 

I am okay once I get into it.......but dread the thought of it beforehand........7 hour drive for us, but I we take our time and stay over in Mu Si.

• Like 1

Tragic events. Looking at the pictures and film of the crash and site, it's clear that the concrete safety barrier failed in it's design/construction. These concrete barriers are supposed to stop this kind of accident by keeping vehicles, yes even busses and trucks, in the carriageway moving forward rather than hitting a pillar and coming to a sudden stop. It would appear that the barrier was not built high enough. Had the bus stayed on the road it's unlikey there would have been the catastophic impact and loss of life.

• Thanks 1