Pedestrian mown down by bus on Bangkok zebra crossing - driver charged as the carnage continues

webfact

13 hours ago, shady86 said:

Speeding, running on rightmost lanes, picking/dropping passengers on the middle of roads and now mowing pedestrian crossing zebras. Bangkok bus drivers do have wonderful achievements in their decorated CVs. 

They are a public danger. Just like vans. Punishment should be severe and SYSTEMATIC.

55 year ago when I was learning to drive in Wales my instructor asked, "When do you give way to a pedestrian?" to which I, know it all,  replied, "On a zebra crossing" to which he with withering sarcasm replied, " And if not on a crossing you run them over?" . To which I guess in Thailand the reply would be, "Yes, and on a zebra crossing as well if I can".

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Manslaughter... 20 years mandatory, no excuses anymore.

That's what everyone says until it's them or their loved one at fault in a wreck.  20 year sentences are for actions with intent to harm.  Not for accidental deaths.

9 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

You have to start from the bottom. Teach in kindergarten, then in schools........then you might be successful, might be......

That's it, it also has to do with a clear lack of basic educational knowledge before people even get near a driving test.

I wonder how many even know what 'braking distance' is, and if they know what it means that it increases almost exponentially with speed.

I think I'm going to ask a Thai friend of mine.

And she's pretty bright but let's see ...

4 hours ago, impulse said:

That's what everyone says until it's them or their loved one at fault in a wreck.  20 year sentences are for actions with intent to harm.  Not for accidental deaths.

For killing someone on a pedestrian crossing?

23 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

For killing someone on a pedestrian crossing?

Tragic as it is, it was an accident.  That doesn't rate a 20 year sentence.

I can't count the number of times I've had to jam on the brakes for a pedestrian who decided at the last second to jump out into the zebra crossing when I was turning on a green light.  They only see me out of the corner of their eye (if at all), and vice versa. 

There's a reason your Mom taught you to stop and look both ways before crossing, even at a zebra crossing and even on a green light.  I do, every time.  And if there's a car, truck or a bus that looks in a hurry to turn through the green, I let them.  It may be their fault, but it's my life.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bradiston said:

I think it's why in the UK the left lane is never allowed to make a left until the lights are green.

In the UK pedestrian crossings have a flashing orange light, ( Belisha beacon)  Named after a RESPONSIBLE transport minister who came up with idea in 1934 ! 88 years ago ! 

And are easily seen from a distance.

471456542_download(38).jpg.5b2b91e628fb2ed0a3ed1ae6c896317e.jpg

15 hours ago, scorecard said:

Not acceptable, but given the lack of education, ongoing education and publicity about road rules I'd be inclined to believe the bus driver if he said 'I don't kow what these white lines on the road mean?'

Further not very wise to have a pedestrian crossing so close to a corner.

You don't need proper education to drive. Common sense which unfortunately does not exists here would do. Their main goal is money, pick up and drop off as many passengers as they could without any regards to safety.

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

In the UK pedestrian crossings have a flashing orange light, ( Belisha beacon)  Named after a RESPONSIBLE transport minister who came up with idea in 1934 ! 88 years ago ! 

And are easily seen from a distance.

471456542_download(38).jpg.5b2b91e628fb2ed0a3ed1ae6c896317e.jpg

Unfortunately a thing of the past. All are being/have been replaced with pedestrian controlled lights. Much less immediately recognisable for approaching traffic, and usually accompanied by raised pavements, ie road humps.

16 hours ago, RayOday said:

I have written about this issue too many times. All I will say here is that the Thai police are second degree murders. Ineffective, useless, bling bling wearing, kick up collecting, selfie taking failures. Education, licensing, road engineering is useless without on road enforcement backed by measured programs. This is not slander, it is fact. Countries with billionaire cops are corrupt, self aggrandizing, and ineffectual. That they care so much about selfies and medals are a statement to their uselessness. I have been in Surin on and off for the past 3 months. I cannot drive more than a half hour without seeing at least 10 drivers  driving on the wrong side of divided highway 24 which connects Korat and Ubon. I see useless checkpoints to collect revenue but ZERO in road enforcement. "Stupid is what stupid does" Forest Gump. The RTP look like  corrupt North Korean generals. Prove me wrong 

20220204_191833.jpg

20211225_070614.jpg

Similar to your police motor bike picture , I have been half way across a zebra crossing here in Thailand , when a heavy truck has come through at about 70 km p hour and blasting his loud horn as if to say , get out of my way . Only yesterday I was doing 90 km ph when a  tail gate pickup overtook me and then pulled left into a side street about 400 meters further on and causing me to almost stop as the outside lane was busy . As already said I think the mini tour bus drivers are the worse , maybe kamikaze survivors ? 

It is not just about education. Until enforcement of rules of the road "in general" are enforced, nothing will improve. Education alone will do nothing for the millions of already licensed drivers in Thailand.
After the cop that ran over the doctor, I've not seen so far that he has been charged... Amazing!
For this accident, one would think there is some camera footage of this event, and hopefully they've looked at it.
In Bangkok, there is a police mini-station at every major intersection, however 24x7 the zebra crossings are "always" filled with motorcycles waiting for the light to turn green. Zero enforcement. These crossing are right there, not way down the street, but nothing ever happens.
In the middle of the day, in heavy traffic, I observed 2 RTP on one motorcycle, right on Sukhumvit, do a T-turn right into traffic, because they missed their turnoff to one of the Soi's. What was the big rush? They almost missed the event: 25-30 RTP descending on some very small street vendors; they almost missed the photo events! A week earlier, I observed one rather hefty RTP leave one of the police mini-stations, also right on Sukhumvit, and go blasting down the middle of the sidewalk down to the next side road, with a lot of pedestrians present, as if it was something he did everyday. Then again, it probably is.