Russian Tourists Struggle to Leave Thailand Amid Russia-Ukraine Crisis

snoop1130

57 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

There are many normal Russian people who are against this war, but not easy to speak out in Russia as we have all seen. Demonstrators are arrested and taken away as has been seen on the news. I appluade Marina Ovsyannikova an editor at Russian Tv Channel 1 who went on live TV and stood behind the news reader today with a sign condemming the war. Sadly I think we will not see her again for a long time. Then there are many ordinary Russians fleeing their country as they fear a return to the old ways of the Sarlin era.

Here in Thailand we have Russins living here and one I know of from personal experince is a news reporter and a very strong supporter of Putin and is commenting on posts saying false this false that, I would like to see these Putin lovers deported back to their beloved country and then see if they still sing the same tune

She faces 15 years in prison.

Of course I'm talking about Marina Ovsyannikova.

Edited by Peterphuket
  • Sad 1

~ 15,000 russian tourists stranded in the Dominican Republic.

The Caribbean country said it had reached a deal with hotel chains to "guarantee" the tourists' accommodation "until such time as a solution is found."

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220302-nearly-17-000-russian-ukrainian-tourists-stuck-in-dominican-republic

Seems thailand will have to accommodate the russian tourists for a long, long time.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Go to hell Russia,   call the embassy and have one of your Oligarchs send a few yachts over to pick you up. 

The oligarchs have problems of their own, those yachts are being seized wherever the Western alliance can find them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, baboon said:

Your post sounds a bit cruel, but perhaps I am getting the wrong end of the stick.

Why not just leave them be until there is an agreement between Thailand and the Russian Federation as to what should be done?

Who pays there costs

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

Maybe russian gov isn't interested in it's people .. remember it's not exactly an open free country . Run by ex Soviet  KGB agents 

Yes, exactly right. Putin only cares about Putin and how much money they could get from Ukraine. The country has so many resources and Putin has wanted that country for some time now. The International world must still be afraid of him pushing a nuclear button because they aren't getting involved militarily and don't see it happening because they worry and I would as well how crazy Putin might get.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Perhaps the Russian government could organise a very large cruise ship and then set sail from Bangkok to Vladivostok.  From there they could either take a 10 hour flight or a six day train trip to Moscow.  

They could use a few of the many super yachts the billionaires are moving around the world before they lose them to the sanctions 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Funny. "Mir" means peace. It's even listed twice in the name of Russian dictator Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin...

I guess when he goes to war, the name is just shortened to "Vlad"...

Vlad the Impaler. Vlad the Invader. Vlad the Vile 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, baboon said:

I don't know. But the Thai government are wallowing in foreign cash, so why not spend a fraction of it assisting human beings in distress through no fault of their own?

hmmmmm. sounds right but I vaguely remember that when Rohingya refugees were stranded in their boats in the middle of the Andaman Sea, Thai coastguards would give them bottles of water and then wave them off Thai waters. I would not mean this for every single Thai person, but as a nation I have doubts on exactly how far their generosity goes. They are great when it is about their own people, and that even raises doubts (highly televised operations to come and rescue Thais in the middle of the catastrophic floods a few years ago, as an example). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PremiumLane said:

You got a citation for that, or did you just pull it out of somewhere in your body?

Purely anecdotal, but seen a few interviews where Russians claim Putin is almost 'dove like' compared to many older Russians and their desire for Russia to be seen as a dominant force in the world.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Purely anecdotal, but seen a few interviews where Russians claim Putin is almost 'dove like' compared to many older Russians and their desire for Russia to be seen as a dominant force in the world.

Yep, and the Russians I know living here do not like Putin or the war. 

5 hours ago, ian007 said:

The Ukrainian visitors are the ones trapped here because all airports are closed or destroyed in the Ukraine. The Russians are not stranded at all, flights are operating and the airspace is open. This would also have been a more appropriate article with you using a photograph of Ukrainians holding their flag and signs with no war. 

While Thailand has not prohibited Russian flights, international airspace restrictions have caused some companies, including Russia’s flagship Aeroflot, to cancel services, forcing tourists to seek alternative routes, such as through the Middle East with different carriers.

Even their own airline won't take them back!