Covid extensions after March 25?

34 minutes ago, TheFriend said:

So the main guy came over and went into the office to ask etc. He told me that they will extend the program until may and that I can get my extension anyway because I'm within the timeframe.

@TheFriend Wow...so this is the first indication of good news that the program will continue.  Are you certain that you clearly heard from an immigration officer (not a volunteer) that the program will be extended again to May?  Did you go along with that and leave, or did you insist that you still wanted to apply TODAY?

Edited by audaciousnomad

5 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Did you go along with that and leave, or did you insist that you still wanted to apply TODAY?

He got his CE. 

He just needs return for stamp.

The io would have zero idea what's happening with regards them continuing post today. 

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He got his CE. 

He just needs return for stamp.

The io would have zero idea what's happening with regards them continuing post today. 

I'd tend to agree with you. But I also don't believe they would tell him, "eh...don't worry, we can do it today or you can come back next week, covid extension will be exteneded", intending to screw him over out of getting extended.  While there are some rogue IOs out there, most of them are straight shooters. So my gut tells me there a modicum of truth to what he was told.

Edited by audaciousnomad

I assume IO means Immigration officer? I don't really know the guys position, but I've been at the Immigration office 4 times now withing the last 5 months, and he is always there. He takes care of all the people arriving, organizing documents and answering the VISA questions. He usually knows all the things in comparison to the volunteers that only check if you have all the necessary forms etc. He was the one who went into the main building were all the IOs sit and asked them. In the end, I am not 100% sure what he asked, but he told me afterwards that I can get my second CE. And before that, he told the volunteer that they extended the time period until May. I am just uncertain if he got the information directly from the IO or just assuming it because it always got extended so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheFriend said:

I assume IO means Immigration officer? I don't really know the guys position, but I've been at the Immigration office 4 times now withing the last 5 months, and he is always there. He takes care of all the people arriving, organizing documents and answering the VISA questions. He usually knows all the things in comparison to the volunteers that only check if you have all the necessary forms etc. He was the one who went into the main building were all the IOs sit and asked them. In the end, I am not 100% sure what he asked, but he told me afterwards that I can get my second CE. And before that, he told the volunteer that they extended the time period until May. I am just uncertain if he got the information directly from the IO or just assuming it because it always got extended so far.

OK thanks. Well, it sounds like good news, but as always...it ain't official until it's official.  ????

• Like 1

Koh Samui Immigration NOT issuing these extensions, even though they acknowledge the reversal of the decision to stop renewing non-immigrant visas by central Immigration Office (they have had no problems extending tourist visas).

The Chief Immigration Officer told me Chiang Mai can issue them because they are a "Head Office", but Koh Samui must wait on a letter of authorisation from Songkhla - which they have not received yet. She told me that they expect it to arrive to be able to made the CEs as of tomorrow (which means Monday) - but then, she told me yesterday that they expected it to arrive this morning!

So, they suggested two choices:

1) overstay illegally on Monday and *maybe* they can extend for 60 days then.

2) get a 7-day extension (which means you sign away your right to get the CE, even if it's available, and must leave the country) and go to Malaysia when their border opens on 1 April.

There was another option - to get a letter requesting a 30-day extension from my embassy - but my embassy is no longer making these letters.

The Chief Immigration Officer asked that I contact my embassy and tell them to complain to Thailand about this poorly-though-out series of events. My embassy told me they have no ability to do this.

Not impressed, all-round.

7 minutes ago, Pi Sek said:

Koh Samui Immigration NOT issuing these extensions, even though they acknowledge the reversal of the decision to stop renewing non-immigrant visas by central Immigration Office (they have had no problems extending tourist visas).

I've read nothing of such a reversal. It might be in the new order that we haven't seen yet, if it even exists, but at this point I would be extremely reluctant to believe anything, even if it comes from a local IO.

Edited by Caldera

4 minutes ago, Pi Sek said:

The Chief Immigration Officer asked that I contact my embassy and tell them to complain to Thailand about this poorly-though-out series of events. My embassy told me they have no ability to do this.

Not impressed, all-round.

Wow...this reinforces @DrJack54 that many offices (unless they are a head office, and even then not guaranteed) are kept completely in the dark about upcoming police orders to extend such programs like the CEs.  So the IOs get just as anxious as we do, likely because they know that this modus operandi causes their office to always get slammed with the last-minute onslaught of applications.  I'd be a grouchy employee if I was in their position. LOL

I was only given 7 days in Nakhonsawan today, as my COVID extension was up March 25. I have been on a non O volunteer visa since Jan 2020.  Hope I am able to extend till the end of may till things are near normal.

I'm not so excited....this phrase..

"Thai Immigration has announced that those people who are unable to return to their home country due to Covid-19 ....."

Unable to return to home country.

Let's see how the immigration offices interpret this. 

20 minutes ago, samahan said:

I was only given 7 days in Nakhonsawan today, as my COVID extension was up March 25. I have been on a non O volunteer visa since Jan 2020.  Hope I am able to extend till the end of may till things are near normal.

I believe the same rules stand for people on Non-O, Non-ED, VOA etc... not being able to get a CE anymore. Also I have my doubts that the 7 day "extension" can be reversed once given.

Edited by Ohyesuare

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

"Thai Immigration has announced that those people who are unable to return to their home country due to Covid-19 ....."

It's Richard Parrot's phrase, don't overthink it. Everything is same as before, same affidavit form mentioning "destination country".

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Jack, i think that this is the same phrase that they used previously on many occasions.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

That language was always there from the beginning. I think we'll be fine!

3 hours ago, samahan said:

The "seven days to leave the country" is not an extension. It is final. It is almost impossible to get the order cancelled, and substituted with an actual extension. Just, maybe (depending on the text of the latest announcement on Covid extensions) it is appealable on the basis that the immigration official should have given you a Covid extension instead, but erroneously failed to do so. If absolutely desperate, find a good immigration lawyer and discuss the matter. It is a long shot, and I think you have no option but to do a visa run before next Friday.

• Like 1

Thanks Tim,

Just didn't seem right while I was in the office and also waited till the final day to get seven more to wait it out.  It did have the feeling of not being reversable though she didn't mention this.  I saw some posts on the topic and the IO just told me that the rule hadn't changed in my favor.  I definitely can travel but with the agro, tests(some faulty), closed land borders a few more months would have been perfect.  Will keep my fingers crossed.  Appreciate your insight, cheers!

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The "seven days to leave the country" is not an extension. It is final. It is almost impossible to get the order cancelled, and substituted with an actual extension. Just, maybe (depending on the text of the latest announcement on Covid extensions) it is appealable on the basis that the immigration official should have given you a Covid extension instead, but erroneously failed to do so. If absolutely desperate, find a good immigration lawyer and discuss the matter. It is a long shot, and I think you have no option but to do a visa run before next Friday.

Has something changed? Can people who were on volunteer visas and ed visas once again get covid extensions?