Remote car start.

sirineou

The vehicle in question is a 2022 Suzuki XL7 a few months old. Has push button start, and keyless entrance. 

I want to install remote starting with Wi-Fi capability.  The reason is, we are going away for s few months , and will like to start the vehicle every once in a while remotely with my smart phone. I called , or more correctly my wife called Suzuki and they told her they don't do that. One local place here in Khon Keen, that we called said they would get back to us but never did. 

I looked on Lazada and all the smart phone capable units that I found, said :

"This system is universal and it can be used on almost any 12V car, Provided the car itself is not push-button start "

I already stetted a thread about leaving the car unattended for a few months, and got a lot of good advice. But I have a few wi-fi enabled smart outlets in our house that I turn on and off with my phone.  I and had the idea that there might be a system I can install in the car. But it need to be compatible with a late model car that already has push start and keyless entrance. 

Or is it a bad idea to mess with such systems. and my remote start idea is a bad one? 

I started a new thread concerning this idea, because the other thread is kind of stale and I thought more people will see this if I started a new thread. 

• Sad 2

The car's keyfob will need to be present for the car to start (immobiliser function).

Personally I think you are going over the top with this. In the motor trade cars are often left standing for 6 months plus.

In March 2021 I bought two three-year old Peugeot 108's (Toyota Aygo clone) from a company in Liverpool. Both had been standing for a year. We checked them over (liquid levels and air), boosted them, and drove them 150 miles back to base ready to prep for retail. If you protect the car from the sun then the Thai climate is relatively benign for car storage.

The photos show car storage facilities at Rockingham UK, not too far from where my business is located. Plenty of cars sat there for 6 months...

JRXP5N2QBZHEHBAJDRVIEJHTY4.jpg

images (17).jpeg

• Thanks 1

I have followed this post and have to say I think you are worrying about nothing. I have stored cars in Australia, similar climate and all I have done is pump up the tyres and fill the fuel tank. Keep it in the shade, leave the handbrake off, in gear or park if auto and buy a pair of jumper leads just in case. Do not mess about with the electronics, adding any aftermarket item these days requires a competent auto electrician.

I worked in a small garage in Queensland where we were known for being able to do most things however I could never get the service light to go off on Mazda saloons, only the authorised dealer with the computer program could do this, $40 a time.

Have a good trip and don’t worry.

• Like 2

Luckily my MG HS has a program and app I have loaded on my phone.  I can start the car from anywhere in the world as long as I have wifi or data.  I used it while I was gone to the US to start the car every third day to keep the battery charged so it was not dead on my return.  The program runs the car for only 10 minutes.  My old Triton I had a remote start put on it but I needed to be within a certain range to start the truck, not like my MG's app.

• Like 1

If it's not factory built in I don't think you can add a wi fi remote easily.

I just got a 2022 4 Runner in Canada, like a beefier Fortuner

It's got the remote start app that works like a charm in a cold country.

But Toyota gives a 1 year free subscription, after a year they want 9.95$ a month for the service.

Not gonna happen

Screenshot_20220317-085124_Toyota.jpg

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Luckily my MG HS has a program and app I have loaded on my phone.  I can start the car from anywhere in the world as long as I have wifi or data.  I used it while I was gone to the US to start the car every third day to keep the battery charged so it was not dead on my return.  The program runs the car for only 10 minutes.  My old Triton I had a remote start put on it but I needed to be within a certain range to start the truck, not like my MG's app.

Why would the battery discharge so quickly..........oh, because it is connected to the internet!

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why would the battery discharge so quickly..........oh, because it is connected to the internet!

Those wi-fi device do not consume a lot of energy while passive,  I looked it up and at worst they consume 2W and at best .5 W, depending on the system used. I think most systems installed in cars would consume closer to the 2W range because the ,5 W devices use a ZigBee/Z wave technology that requires a hub base. making it impractical for a mobile device such as a car that would not always be close to a base. 

But your observation is correct to the degree that they do consume  power but no more than the care radio does to maintain time and presets. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Those wi-fi device do not consume a lot of energy while passive,  I looked it up and at worst they consume 2W and at best .5 W, depending on the system used. I think most systems installed in cars would consume closer to the 2W range because the ,5 W devices use a ZigBee/Z wave technology that requires a hub base. making it impractical for a mobile device such as a car that would not always be close to a base. 

But your observation is correct to the degree that they do consume  power but no more than the care radio does to maintain time and presets. 

You are correct. The MG Dealer advised me that if I deleted the app and it was not scanning the car daily and checking all the systems as it dies the battery, because if the yeat might last a few weeks.  If I was going to use the app I was told to start it every 3rd day. It does not start all the systems when used remotely, but rather runs the engine and the AC system to cool the car as well as charge the battery. You can not drive the car unless you have the key with you in the vehicle and physically start the car by pushing the button and the brake. It will also not work to start the car remotely unless the vehicle 8s locked. It is a nice feature as I said, however it can cause a drain on the battery.

9 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

You are doing more harm than good. Just disconnect the battery and it should hold at least 80% of its charge over a year. If it doesn't then it needs repacing anyway.  Repeatedly running the engine for a short time every few days does more harm than good. The main problem we have with laid-up vehicles in the UK is corrosion of braking components. 

Your view is not mine obviously.  No extra wear and tear on the vehicle as it is less then driving it everyday when I am home.  No corrosion at all.  My Triton I had for 10 years and would remote start it from in the house, let it run and then shut it off.  Drove that one every 4th day or so as I had 2 motorbikes and another vehicle.  To each their own to do with their vehicles as they wish to. On the MG if you disconnect the battery the systems have to be reset as the vehicle will not engage the transmission to drive, and unless you have the OBD controller to reset all you need to take it to the shop.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your view is not mine obviously.  No extra wear and tear on the vehicle as it is less then driving it everyday when I am home. 

Its not a 'view' its a provable engineering fact. Repeatedly running an engine at idle  for 10 minutes then stopping it like that every few days will cause additional engine wear over and above not starting it or driving it out on the road. You're just washing down the bores and building up contaminants in the oil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Its not a 'view' its a provable engineering fact. Repeatedly running an engine at idle  for 10 minutes then stopping it like that every few days will cause additional engine wear over and above not starting it or driving it out on the road. You're just washing down the bores and building up contaminants in the oil.

And so you disagree, well good on you, its like the mom and pop car only being driven 5 miles to school or the store and then back home and parked.....If I can afford to have it serviced every 6 months like I do, there is no buildup of contaminants in the oil as you so indicate.  Not an issue in my book, but it surely winds you up that I do what I do....

Show me a verifiable study or link that proves your point in a certified engineering publication.  Running the car for 1 minutes brings the engine up to temperature and will eliminate any of the water that may build up and create corrosion.    Like I said show me a verifiable study that has not been attacked and proven wrong.  My uncle ran an Automotive Garage for over 40 years and serviced all kinds of vehicles for Oldsmobile/Cadillac.  In all my years of foing what I do and I did it with prior vehicles I never have had one issue, so tootle along my friend.

Why oh why does nearly every topic on this site turn into arguments and personal attacks. I once read about Thai visa being the site for frustrated and sad old men, let’s not justify that classification .

1 hour ago, PJPom said:

Why oh why does nearly every topic on this site turn into arguments and personal attacks. I once read about Thai visa being the site for frustrated and sad old men, let’s not justify that classification .

You young whippersnappers with your long hair and your Rock end Roll , I have you know that many of us are not sad!! 

And get OFF my lawn!!:tongue:

TheSimpsonsAngryGIF.gif.61620812eb86caccc129b47b2897fb06.gif

• Haha 2

When your engine is running, oil is pumped from the pan at bottom of your engine and circulated under pressure thought the entire engine.

When you shut the engine off, pressure is lost, and the oil runs back down into the pan.

When you start the engine, pressure hast to build, and it takes a moment to circulate oil though the engine.

So when the engine starts, it's running without oil pressure for a moment. 

On 3/17/2022 at 8:22 PM, ThailandRyan said:

And to think that some folks sneer at the MG marque?

At our regular Sunday lunch get together, a mate remote started his car about 10 minutes before he left so the aircon would cool it down. We thought he must have some expensive ride but he too was a happy owner of new MG.

I looked at after market kits for remote 'wi-fi' start by smartphone app for my Ranger when I was down in Australia. The asking price was ridiculous.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 12:49 PM, PJPom said:

With regard to motors, I find it depends if @HauptmannUK offers his opinion.

• Haha 1

I would be a bit careful with the aftermarket. You may void a portion of your cars warranty by installing it. 

If it is strictly the battery you are concerned with, get a solar charger and attach the leads to the car battery or a trickle charger attached to a wall outlet.  

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

At our regular Sunday lunch get together, a mate remote started his car about 10 minutes before he left so the aircon would cool it down. We thought he must have some expensive ride but he too was a happy owner of new MG.

I looked at after market kits for remote 'wi-fi' start by smartphone app for my Ranger when I was down in Australia. The asking price was ridiculous.

It takes ten minutes for the AC to cool down?

51 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No the car runs for 10 minutes on the Auto start function from the app.  It is cool in just a minute but to also charge the battery as the vehicles running the car runs for a 10 minute cycle before it shuts off.  Obviously from your comment your not a fan of the MG and it's functions.  The car is a good vehicle and even though it only has a 1.5L engine it has plenty of spunk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:
13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I don't know. I don't have an MG.

I do know it can sometimes take 10 minutes to get a Sunday lunch session's bill paid.

The MG remote start capability only allows the engine to run for 10 minutes maximum.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 7:52 AM, ThailandRyan said:

No the car runs for 10 minutes on the Auto start function from the app.  It is cool in just a minute but to also charge the battery as the vehicles running the car runs for a 10 minute cycle before it shuts off.  Obviously from your comment your not a fan of the MG and it's functions.  The car is a good vehicle and even though it only has a 1.5L engine it has plenty of spunk.

Actually I am something of a fan of the MGs. I don't have one, but there is a dealer less than a km from the house, I think they are great looking and (apparently) a good value. I see a lot of them on the road, and I was thinking of getting one for my boy.

I just think remote starting a car and running it at idle for ten minutes to get it cooled down is foolish. I do think when  it's 40 below and the windshield is frozen over remote starting to get the it thawed out does make sense. 

I also think starting a car to charge the battery is foolish, particularly given a fair percentage of engine wear occurs at startup when their is no oil in the engine, as it is all in the sump. 

But you go ahead dude, knock yourself out, makes me no never-mind,

• Thanks 1