Foreign tourist allegedly attacked by security guards after bill dispute in Central Pattaya

webfact

Few years ago, I witnesses 2 young guys disagreeing with the cashier. They paid with 1,000Bt note but she gave them change for 500Bt. 

They politely insisted on change for the 1,000Bt., even asked to see the CCTV, then finally they asked to see the police. 

The cashier walked across the road to speak with a couple cops that were sitting there... but the police didn't respond...they just discretely sent the motorcycle taxi gang that was stationed on the corner. 

At that point I called the 2 young guys over and told them the police weren't coming and the 5 taxi boys that are standing by would sort it out if & they would end up in the hospital or police station if they persisted in getting the correct change.

They made a wise decision and let the scammer cashier keep the 500Bt. 

The cashier gave the taxi boys a free soda.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

But imagine you would have been this guy, in hindsight, would you rather have paid up and enjoyed the rest of your holiday on the beach instead of laying in hospital?

Which is EXACTLY how the scam works.

For all we know, he slapped down 300, 400, 500 baht, or whatever, for the drinks he had, and walked out refusing to pay the scam.  

If the staff stand their ground on the scam, the customer is done over.  

The customer is basically mugged, just as good as if it happened on the street.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Which is EXACTLY how the scam works.

For all we know, he slapped down 300, 400, 500 baht, or whatever, for the drinks he had, and walked out refusing to pay the scam.  

If the staff stand their ground on the scam, the customer is done over.  

The customer is basically mugged, just as good as if it happened on the street.  

For all we know he might have been legless and forgotten how much he drank..... Got angry and obnoxious when they gave him the bill, had a hissy fit and tried to walk off..

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Don't continue making sense. If you continue to do so you'll leave no space for the foreigners who hate themselves along with their kinfolk.

Wholly unacceptable to attack and to cheat your customers.

It's a place for drinking and revelling. If the security cannot handle someone who is drinking; get better security.

In my venues, anyone being overly rowdy and refusing to calm down would be firmly gripped on either side by security and walked out. Any further noise and they would be permanently banned.

Fighting is for animals. The bar owner who piped up about attacking his own customers is a sad case in point. A hooligan running a bar.

There are a few of them around town as it goes.

One recent appointee from a well known football club that is being sold by order of the UK government

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

The witness on the scene was stating categorically that the two security guards were responsible. You seem to be creating your own version of what you read. I am reporting what happened whilst I was actually there.

Ok. According to the article the Irishman hit his head by falling on the floor and not by direct hit from the security guard. that's again according to the article and the so called Australian witnesses. I wasn't creating a story the journalist did. I do accept that you were there and having better knowledge of the events.

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

For all we know he might have been legless and forgotten how much he drank..... Got angry and obnoxious when they gave him the bill, had a hissy fit and tried to walk off..

Of course that's completely possible, but how many of these incidents stem from a crime being committed against the customer?   

All I am saying to the Thai apologists is to consider the possibility the Irish guy could be a victim, not only of the assault, but also of the fraud the staff tried to commit against him.   

• Like 2

I am not going to comment on the situation with the Irishman in this story, but my experience with normal bars is that if you are obnoxious in any way then they may pad your bill. 

They don't just create the bill in an unfair manner, what happens is they transfer the bill of the polite customer over to the obnoxious customer and it is the girl's way of getting their own back.

I was once in a bar and ready to settle up and found out the Indian over the other side was going to be billed. So that is my experience of someone else getting padded and I got off with a light bill.

Everyone in Thailand (bargirl or not) has a respect level and if you encroach that, then expect poor treatment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

I could write it in French but don't know how to do the accents.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

De rien.   ????

Apologies to @NeoDinosaw who'd already posted ????

Edited by VBF

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's getting a name for itself. Becoming well known and famous. 

Having a recent killing, now this incident. It's only early days too, the venue opened not too long ago, not a lot of business with covid recent shutdowns.

There is sure to be lots of activities for the tourists when they arrive. 

Looking at the set up as I passed several times you need a firm optimistic personality to enter the crowded arena that is TreeTown ...I'd say you would pick up a dose of covid quicker than a lady ... well maybe ...

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Of course that's completely possible, but how many of these incidents stem from a crime being committed against the customer?   

All I am saying to the Thai apologists is to consider the possibility the Irish guy could be a victim, not only of the assault, but also of the fraud the staff tried to commit against him.   

Hanging out in these kinds of establishments, getting plastered and enjoying the ladies is a dream for most blokes, but it comes with some risks. Bill padding is one of those risks and if I ever got stung (I don't recall it happening to me in 20+ yrs) I would politely ask them to check the bill. If it was obvious they weren't going to back down I'd swallow my pride, pay the bill and leave - and never go back there / tell friends etc. It's just not worth arguing a lost cause and getting in a fight. 

The same could be said of girly bars in the UK. I've heard loads of stories about blokes being ripped off, or beaten up by door staff if they refused to pay.

If you want scam free safe beer drinking go to a Wetherspoons. But it's not half the fun ????

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I would politely ask them to check the bill. If it was obvious they weren't going to back down I'd swallow my pride, pay the bill

Hence, why the scam has been allowed to flourish for decades.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Hence, why the scam has been allowed to flourish for decades.  

I know exactly where you're coming from, and you're right. But we're not going to change that, as the Irishman found out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I've never had a bill "padded".

Say you were in a bar tomorrow, and the bill came out with a drink or two on it that you definitely know you didn't order, and the staff stood their ground when you questioned it.  How would you handle the situation?  

Edited by Leaver

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Say you were in a bar tomorrow, and the bill came out with a drink on it that you definitely know you didn't order, and the staff stood their ground when you questioned it.  How would you handle the situation?  

Punch the barman and then run away , then take the bouncers on with a fight when they come chasing after me 

• Haha 2

These stories of bill disputes always read simply like the customer is a drunk stooge but we never hear the other side of it.

Very nearly happened to me once in Bangla. Blind drunk. Ordered a wine but immediately cancelled it when I saw I had a beer still. Happy smiley bar girl turned into demon saying cannot cancel bla bla. Called over farang boss who called over Bangla security guy. I said it was a load of bs and walked off. Along the way saw a Thai friend who owned another bar and called the dogs off. If not for that it would have been violent. 

All over a cancelled wine. The rest was paid for.

Edited by sikishrory

10 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

These stories of bill disputes always read simply like the customer is a drunk stooge but we never hear the other side of it.

Very nearly happened to me once in Bangla. Blind drunk. Ordered a wine but immediately cancelled it when I saw I had a beer still. Happy smiley bar girl turned into demon saying cannot cancel bla bla. Called over farang boss who called over Bangla security guy. I said it was a load of bs and walked off. Along the way saw a Thai friend who owned another bar and called the dogs off. If not for that it would have been violent. 

All over a cancelled wine. The rest was paid for.

Open bottle of wine. You should have payed.

• Like 1