Omicron containment “not possible,” boosters and public health measures are “correct response”

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is unlikely to contain the fast-spread Omicron variant of Covid-19 unlike previous strains where the country was successful in curtailing and isolating outbreaks, a senior doctor told Thai Enquirer on Friday

Oh what short memories some people have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Could of called this with the original strain, as it was nasty and fatal as given influenza outbreak - nothing more, nothing less. 

While the Omicron strain of Covid does seem less deadly than the preceding ones, when taken in the round, Covid has proven much more deadly than the flu.

In a little over two years, this virus has officially caused the deaths of something around 6 million people worldwide (although the latest estimates based on excess mortality figures put the number at over 18 million).

COVID's Death Toll 3 Times Worse Than Official Counts

Even at the lower figure though, that still comes out at nearly 3 million per year, or roughly 5 to 10 times worse than the flu. WHO data puts the yearly toll of flu at 290,000 to 650,000 deaths, globally.

COVID-19 vs the Flu

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

I feel like this article is from 3 months ago.  The rest of the world has realised this and moved on now.

Thailand always a bit behind to the rest of the world. Especially in regards to Covid rules

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CLW said:

Thailand always a bit behind to the rest of the world. Especially in regards to Covid rules

Each country is on a different timeline.

For example a country right now with 2 percent vaccinated, should they have the same mitigation policies as another country with 90 percent?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

I feel like this article is from 3 months ago.  The rest of the world has realised this and moved on now.

I think the water in Thailand is making some people even stupider.  When I pointed this out recently I was accused of being an anti-vaxer.  

Yes, we have all moved on.  WE have no mandates here, hospitalizations are minor and dropping every day and I haven't worn a mask in over  a month.  

Life is normal here.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

As for Covid being 'nothing more, nothing less' than any other influenza outbreak....in the last 20 years, the US lost 600,000 from influenza. In two years, the US lost 1 million----and that with all of the mitigation measures. Seems Covid is rather more serious.

I do agree with you. Covid is serious and should be respected as such. As much as I am exhausted from it, we are not done yet and mutations will come. It is yet to work it's way through a billion Chinese people who are poorly protected.

I do also firmly believe that I need to take responsibility for my own health risk outcome, I will wear a mask regardless of mandates, I will wash my hands, I will not lick doorhandles or lick the sweaty chest of a bar girl, I will get booster vaccines and I won't be partying like it's 1999 on Kao San Rd. 

At this point, education is the real reponse we need, as well as push back on it just being a cold and no worse than the flu, so well said. There will always be people who never accept that a risk is present. Look to the story of HIV. But, we should learn to live with it and that will require some adaptation whether we like it or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

They may have moved on but the numbers are piling up once again and the deaths are growing.  Learning to live with it is what we need, yet to many arrogant folks think it is a sham and conspiracy to deprive them of their rights and keep on acting irresponsible.

• Like 2

One thing to note is that the less intelligent and/or informed parties are to some degree self limiting. Darwin was so correct.

The sad thing is that they take a certain percentage of the blameless with them.????

6 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Yes, I had to check the date as it seemed like from a yesteryear. Then again these stories reveal the local attitudes and I understand better the remaining concern I encounter at this site.

Edited by rabang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Karma80 said:

I do agree with you. Covid is serious and should be respected as such. As much as I am exhausted from it, we are not done yet and mutations will come. It is yet to work it's way through a billion Chinese people who are poorly protected.

I do also firmly believe that I need to take responsibility for my own health risk outcome, I will wear a mask regardless of mandates, I will wash my hands, I will not lick doorhandles or lick the sweaty chest of a bar girl, I will get booster vaccines and I won't be partying like it's 1999 on Kao San Rd. 

At this point, education is the real reponse we need, as well as push back on it just being a cold and no worse than the flu, so well said. There will always be people who never accept that a risk is present. Look to the story of HIV. But, we should learn to live with it and that will require some adaptation whether we like it or not.

Omicron for most vaccinated people is just a flu, or not even that. The hospitalization statistics etc. are useless if the contain huge amounts of incidental cases with omicron going through populations at breakneck speed.

I seen a news story where many children and teens are getting a long COVID from the omicron variant.

Omicron may not be a killer as much as Delta or the other 2 originals, but there is still lots of unvaccinated

people in the world who will likely be sick from one of the COVID strains.  For some of us, with our 3 jabs the

COVID will likely just feel like a bad flu, hopefully, for the unvaccinated, well likely worse. I feel very fortunate

that I was able to get my 3 jabs of pfizer for free. My Thai family were not so lucky.

• Sad 1

On 3/18/2022 at 6:39 PM, ThailandRyan said:

They may have moved on but the numbers are piling up once again and the deaths are growing.  Learning to live with it is what we need, yet to many arrogant folks think it is a sham and conspiracy to deprive them of their rights and keep on acting irresponsible.

Im not in that camp.  But I am in the realist camp.  Look at the latest data from around the world and its evident that Covid - as now Omicron - has fallen way down on the mortality scale. Well below other preventable diseases including heart disease, diabetes, road accidents, Malaria (in the case of most African countries).  Anecdotally, I know more friends who have Omicron than not and all describe it as ranging from a mild cold to a flue.  Average sick time is around 5 days with Omicron.  There has to be a point at which we get on with life.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, zzaa09 said:

What we still haven't realized is that with every successive mutated variant, the bug is less symptomatic and severe [vaccinated or not]. Could of called this with the original strain, as it was nasty and fatal as given influenza outbreak - nothing more, nothing less. 

Not necessarily. 

• Like 1