Video: Fears that gangs exploiting children have moved from Pattaya to Bang Saen

webfact

6pm.jpg

Sanook Thai Caption: Assault on child hawking goods

An nasty video doing the rounds of Thai social media and causing much comment has led to claims that gangs exploiting children are moving in on the Thai resort of Bang Saen. 

A trader told Sanook that the gangs who force children to sell things to make money have been hounded out of Pattaya by successful police action to clean up their act.

But the gangs are now moving in on Bang Saen, the resort a few tens of kilometers along the Chonburi eastern seaboard. 

The video that prompted the concern showed a woman on a motorcycle with a child on the back with some goods.

The woman viciously whacks the child in the head with her elbow almost causing the motorcycle to topple over.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The poster - Sila Naksuwan - surmised that it might be a mother or a gang member. He said that moments earlier a weapon had been used to hit the child, a club that was thrown away thereafter. 

Sanook spoke to the Saensuk police chief Pol Col Pattana Rorproo who said he'd received no report. 

But down on the beach legitimate traders told the media about gangs moving in though no one recognised the people in the video.

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-19

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 2

There is a Thai proverb, "To hit a child, is to love a child."

That's literally the mantra of village mothers and grandmothers.

Just when you think it couldn't get any worse.....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Red plate on the bike.... I have only seen these red plates on police bikes...

Red plates indicate a new vehicle awaiting its white number plate, buy a new vehicle and you'll probably be driving on red plates for a few weeks.

Or in the case of motorcycles yellow plate ???? 

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yellow plates indicate a taxi?

Thanks for the correction, I have no idea what I was thinking with that statement, of course yellow plates indicate passenger carrying vehicles, I think I have my head on back to front today ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was in Bang sen a month ago, and I have seen children (  boys  and girls, let say 8-10 years old ) selling goods to the tourists on the beach ; don't know if there is a correlation with the gangs above 

Edited by Aforek

DO NOT give to beggar children walking around the bars selling gum, flowers, candy etc. 

Better to give to  NGO agencies that are legit and actually try to help educate/improve the street beggars. 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

hounded out of Pattaya by successful police action

Got to be the most ironic comment of the week. Pattaya Plod are successful only at making money by strangling local businesses. Any arrests of criminals are down to information received not by police work.