Security camera catches Chonburi pickup truck driver taking up two lanes before colliding and seriously injuring teenage motorcyclist

webfact

urDlkGJairgyYq1A_194242-696x392.jpg

PHOTO : Wisarn Sangjaroen / Top News

By Goong Nang(GN)

Chonburi -   Footage from a security camera showed a bronze, gray pickup truck seemingly driving in both street lanes before colliding with a motorcyclist who was driving in his lane yesterday, March 18th, 2022.

Subsequently, rescuers from the Thammaramee Maneerat Foundation were notified about a car accident at the Nong Ri subdistrict, Mueang district, Chonburi before rushing to the scene.

There, a 17-year-old motorcyclist whose name was withheld due to his age was found lying on the ground, seriously injured, and later hospitalized at a nearby hospital by the rescue team.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/03/19/security-camera-catches-chonburi-pickup-truck-driver-taking-up-two-lanes-before-colliding-and-seriously-injuring-teenage-motorcyclist/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-03-19

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 4

Must have been something in the air yesterday in Chonburi.

Driving to and from golf I had several moments when pick ups coming towards me were well over the middle line for no reason.

I even had one overtaking me on the 331, a 3 lane, who was still part of the way in my lane as he came up to me causing me to try and move left a bit just in case (I had a vehicle inside of me as well).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paul1804 said:

When will the Thailand department of Transport educate drivers that those lines painted on the road are there for a good reason but many Thais do not understand this!! Its not rocket science, that means that you indicate that you wish to change lanes and after a visual inspection and the way is clear you move into that lane. Thai drivers move and then sometimes look and wonder why they end up in a pile of <deleted> underneath another vehicle in the middle of the road!!!

Perhaps Thailand is ahead of the game. Drivers in East Yorkshire in the UK are being trained to ignore the white lines on the road. The council have put cycle lanes on each side of the road and removed the white line in the middle of the road because the resulting width between the cycle lanes is too narrow for 2 vehicles travelling in opposite directions to pass. Hence drivers drive with their inside wheels in the cycle lane and ignore road markings completely. It's the future

• Like 1

18 hours ago, paul1804 said:

those lines painted on the road are there for a good reason but many Thais do not understand this!!

Nor do they understand signal indicators; the importance of helmets; regular servicing of vehicles; mirrors; red lights; fuel gauge.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Which is simply when their lips move....

Reminds me of what I was told many years ago. "Two rules to remember in Thailand. First rule is Thais lie. Second rule is they always xxxxing lie."

• Like 1

"Chonburi police, as of now, proceeded to request the footage of the accident and questioned the injured for further investigation and legal charges."

Here is the whole problem with Thai justice.

If the pickup driver gets to buy the injured person (or his family) with some "hush money" there will never be any legal charges.
In the mean time, the RTP can delay the case as long as they feel the need before going to the court.

In most "civilised" countries, the case will be taken over immediatly from the police by a "Public Prosecutor" and will always and up in the Courts.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 5:43 PM, RobU said:

Perhaps Thailand is ahead of the game. Drivers in East Yorkshire in the UK are being trained to ignore the white lines on the road. The council have put cycle lanes on each side of the road and removed the white line in the middle of the road because the resulting width between the cycle lanes is too narrow for 2 vehicles travelling in opposite directions to pass. Hence drivers drive with their inside wheels in the cycle lane and ignore road markings completely. It's the future

Well thats sounds like another pending disaster!!

• Like 1

This is just typical of many Thai drivers, he was probably on the phone!! I often follow vehicles that just wander from their lane across the white or yellow lines into the other lane and then back again. Once I tooted the horn at a Toyota van driver because he kept wandering into my lane, he chased me and flashed his lights for about the next 5kms! I wonder which planet he was from!!!

6 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

This is just typical of many Thai drivers, he was probably on the phone!! I often follow vehicles that just wander from their lane across the white or yellow lines into the other lane and then back again. Once I tooted the horn at a Toyota van driver because he kept wandering into my lane, he chased me and flashed his lights for about the next 5kms! I wonder which planet he was from!!!

The way they drive, you are not part of  his zone of responsibility, being behind him. They don't like being beeped at, I have stopped bothering apart from emergency.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They don't like being beeped at

It's a typical child-like, irresponsible attitude from Thai drivers. 

Never, ever willing to concede that they are doing something idiotic or foolish while in control of a motor vehicle.