Thaksin's daughter could become Thailand's next prime minister as Shinawatra's set for comeback

webfact

4 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Thaksin has been in self imposed exile since 2008 after being tried in absentia for corruption. He was ousted in a coup in 2006.

Why is it that Thaksin was tried "in absentia", but the Red Bull heir case can't go to trial unless he is returned to Thailand?   Is it because one was based on corruption charges and the other is murder?

No, it's because one is a threat to the old elite while the other one is part of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

She wasn't "ousted", she was removed from office, legally, by the Constitutional Court, there's a difference.  That is all that I am commenting on so please take your attempt to drag it out to someone who's interested.

Yes, OK then....let's go with that.:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The only thing the coups achieved was to further erode the rule of law and the democratic process.

No, that was not the only thing. 

The coups removed Thaksin and his little sister from power.

And since the last coup there are no red shirts in the streets anymore.

Those are already big improvements.

And lets repeat it one more time: If Thaksin would have been an honest PM then he could probably still be in charge now - without any coup. He was so greedy and corrupt that many people hated him and wanted to get rid of him. That is what the army did. He and he alone is responsible for his greedy corrupt behavior.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Yes, there we have it. Irrefutable proof that the Bangkok elite Thai people don't want leaders elected by the brown masses but leaders that are elected for them, not by them!!:crazy:

In other words: Most educated Bangkok residents don't want that uneducated and simple minded farmers vote again and again for the highest (corrupt) bidder. And let's not forget that most (all?) farmers don't pay income tax. When tax is wasted, i.e. for rice scams, then for them it's other peoples' money that is wasted.

Many people in Bangkok pay taxes and they hate the idea that populist politicians buy votes with the tax payers' money.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

And the envelopes are still flying today, sent by all sides. But flying envelopes still beat rumbling tanks any day of the week.

Your statement does not make sense, there is no current election, so why would the politicians be bribing voters at this time?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

"No, that was not the only thing. 

The coups removed Thaksin and his little sister from power."

Wow, you really didn't get the point, did you.

"And since the last coup there are no red shirts in the streets anymore."

Yes, rather eternal military rule that street demonstrations, right?

"And lets repeat it one more time: If Thaksin would have been an honest PM then he could probably still be in charge now - without any coup. He was so greedy and corrupt that many people hated him and wanted to get rid of him. That is what the army did."

For the n'th time (it's like talking to a brick wall):

The old elite didn't remove Thaksin because of whatever greed and corruption existed. They removed him because he was a threat to them and their access to the trough!

Good that you are the expert who knows everything better - or at least that is what you think.

And just in case someone asks you: There is a huge difference between peaceful protest and what the red-shirts did. Never forget!

99598602.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I'm so glad we have a resident farang spokesperson for the tax paying elite in Bangkok telling the unwashed masses how it should be!

Thanks, you are welcome.

Now if the unwashed masses and the up-country farangs who support them would listen, that would be even better.

3 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

The generals banned Thanatorn who would have actually been a progressive, populist PM. So Thaksin's daughter will absolutely win. At least we'll have a good-looking, young PM again. Phra Yut begone, damned spot!

If she runs, and even if she wins an absolute massive majority, she will never be allowed to form a government. There will be some ruling, however improbable, which will disqualify her. Thanatorn goes to demonstrate the generals contempt for democracy. 

When the dust settles Prayut, Prawit and their gang will reluctantly answer the pleas of the people, and form a government.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

As good a reason as any to vote for someone. The only difference between the Shinawatra controlled governments and the post coup government was that Thaksin at least won an election. To my eternal shame I supported the coup, surely the goal was to once and for all root out and crush corruption that keeps Thailand a 3rd world country. Oh how I was wrong.

Fair play to you. It takes stones to come out in public and admit one was wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

You're wrong. There have been lots of local elections all over the country.

Mrs baboon took her 500 Baht at the recent Chumphon election, and it wasn't from Peua Thai...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

If she runs, and even if she wins an absolute massive majority, she will never be allowed to form a government. There will be some ruling, however improbable, which will disqualify her. Thanatorn goes to demonstrate the generals contempt for democracy. 

When the dust settles Prayut, Prawit and their gang will reluctantly answer the pleas of the people, and form a government.

I dunno... Maybe she would be allowed, just to show how Thai democracy is now flourishing, thanks to the junta. Give her a few weeks or months, then coax the nationalists back onto the streets. The 'good people' then start wringing their hands - a coup and an authoritarian regime are the last thing they want, but what to do? After all, national survival is at stake...

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good that you are the expert who knows everything better - or at least that is what you think.

And just in case someone asks you: There is a huge difference between peaceful protest and what the red-shirts did. Never forget!

99598602.jpg

And to demonstrate your point, you post a photo of a chap in a black shirt. The other individual sporting a white shirt.

So I shall take the liberty of recaptioning the photo as an example of the justifiable anger of the working class after having their rights stripped from them by nationalists and fascists.

See how propaganda works...?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I was here all the time when Thaksin and his family and his Chronis were in power. I also remember enough of the news from those years that he was all the time in the news with his corrupt schemes. And I remember when people gave flowers to the soldiers after the two coups.

If Thaksin would have been a honest politician then Thailand could be at least 10 years ahead and without coups and military government. They only took over to free Thailand and the Thai people from this criminal.

large_iFqCQJJ8f7B3EkEE.jpg

First off there are no honest politicians they're all corrupt.

I think Thailand would be further behind if Taksin was never elected. 

Taksin reduced poverty while in office, got the Airport completed, approved massive infrastructure projects all over Thailand and I think the most beneficial to Thai people was the 30B healthcare coverage.

The economy was doing great, farmers seemed to be doing better too. 

However, he was no angel either with his war drugs.  Then he started messing with immigration visas, clamping down on boarder runs etc.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vinci said:

you have to live here long enough to understand, its hard to give direct evident, its not like they came out and said it straight to your face, but its there.

really??  

Thaksin started the whole crack down at immigration. He started cracking down on boarder runs, Changed the overstay policy which was pretty much ignored by immigration until he came along. Made visa requirements harder and started changing where some visas could be issued.

Please tell me what he did to help expats. Please dont say Thai Elite 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 4:46 PM, robblok said:

Let Thaksin come back do his time then he can take care of his family. Why would he have to get a free pass.

Anyway people are stupid if they think its not him pulling the strings. She is just an other puppet just like his sister. I hope for this puppet that it ends better. 

Its just that they are all used to push an amnesty through and that lands them in trouble. Instead of working for the people they work for Thaksin. Not that the other side is much better they also don't work for the people but their own gain.

Just two bad choices that will never change. 

Agree with that.

There seems to be no end to that man's greed.

If she does "win" an election, IMO expect a repeat of the whole tiresome business.

If she actually cares about the nation, she should outright reject any notion she will be PM.

23 minutes ago, pomchop said:

If the current coup crop gave a hoot about law and order Mr Red Bull would have been in jail long ago rather than going on for decades about Taksin, who was after all, ELECTED by the Thai people.

Considering how politicians get "elected" in Thailand, that doesn't mean much.

I won't expand on that as it may be against the forum rules as being political, but most expats know how the election game is played in LOS.

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thaksin is obviously not the only bad and corrupt politician. But he is a prime example how he undermined everything in Thailand. The police was on his side, the prosecutors worked for him (and not against him), the judges didn't dare to convict him (i.e. hiding money in the name of his maids, drivers, etc.).

If there would be independent police and independent courts then politicians could be held accountable. But that is not the case in Thailand.

As far as I see the only way to remove Thaksin was with a coup. Because the prosecutors didn't dare it and the judges would likely not have convicted him (even with lots of evidence).

There is a huge difference between learning to do a good job trying hard to do your best and on the other side being corrupt. I don't think there is any corrupt politician in Thailand who doesn't know he is corrupt. Even a untalented politician who learns to do the job does not have to be corrupt. Accepting corruption with the reasoning that politicians have to learn is just bs. If they want to be corrupt then they don't belong in that kind of position. And people should never vote for corrupt politicians. It's just plain stupid to vote for corrupt people and to expect an honest government. 

Well said. It's good to see a poster that wasn't taken in by the pro Thaksin BS.

Far as I'm concerned he was the worst thing that happened to LOS, and under him the farang night scene was ruined and has never recovered to what it was prior to him being PM.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well said. It's good to see a poster that wasn't taken in by the pro Thaksin BS.

Far as I'm concerned he was the worst thing that happened to LOS, and under him the farang night scene was ruined and has never recovered to what it was prior to him being PM.

oh no...taksin  ruined the farang night scene....horror of all horrors....and yet somehow the farang night scene still goes on and on and on 17 years later.....

exactly HOW did Taksin "ruin" the farang night scene?

• Like 1