Would you still want to visit Thailand with these new entry rules?

webfact

And why have some people been 'scammed' in testing PCR positive upon arrival in Thailand after having a negative PCR result before boarding their flight to Thailand?

Police crack down on alleged network selling forged documents, fake Covid test results  Published on  Thursday, March 17, 2022 15:00

Thai police cracked down on the sales and production of fake PCR Covid-19 test results as well education certificates and other documents needed for jobs overseas. Three people, who police suspect are part of a large network, were arrested for allegedly posing as medical practitioners selling the forged documents.

The Department of Health Service Support received complaints about the sales of fake Covid-19 test results and authorities found a website offering PCR tests for 890 baht with results back within an hour for those travelling internationally.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/police-crack-down-on-alleged-network-selling-forged-documents-fake-covid-test-results

Edited by jerrymahoney

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Apparently not much doubt...unless it's a very looong flight: On average, symptoms showed up in the newly infected person about 5.6 days after contact. Rarely, symptoms appeared as soon as 2 days after exposure. https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-incubation-period#:~:text=On average%2C symptoms showed up,were sick by day 14.

that research from over 2 years ago, from the very beginning of virus.

Omicron have changed that incubation period to just 2-3 days.

"they studied dozens of confirmed cases reported between Jan. 4 and Feb. 24, 2020"

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 2

It has certainly been extremely difficult to arrange travel from NZ. From most other counties they have multiple flights to Asia, not here, my city Christchurch has only just started 1 flight per day to Singapore. No other options. After several days of regular flight searches I found something that suited me. So will arrive late April. Happy i will not have to pay $200 for pre departure testing. I see many people say have to pay to go to hospital when asymptomatic, but this is not the case at all. Can isolate at a hotel or even at an Airbnb or a friend's place. Rule of thumb is pay nothing up front. But anyway, hopefully I will not have any issues upon my arrival. 

36 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

And why have some people been 'scammed' in testing PCR positive upon arrival in Thailand after having a negative PCR result before boarding their flight to Thailand?

Police crack down on alleged network selling forged documents, fake Covid test results  Published on  Thursday, March 17, 2022 15:00

Thai police cracked down on the sales and production of fake PCR Covid-19 test results as well education certificates and other documents needed for jobs overseas. Three people, who police suspect are part of a large network, were arrested for allegedly posing as medical practitioners selling the forged documents.

The Department of Health Service Support received complaints about the sales of fake Covid-19 test results and authorities found a website offering PCR tests for 890 baht with results back within an hour for those travelling internationally.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/police-crack-down-on-alleged-network-selling-forged-documents-fake-covid-test-results

do you think that hospitals were buying forgeries from some khaosan rd scammer?

I know for fact that hospitals won't play any games. That's criminal. Insurance companies will hang such doctors high, for 10 years. Hospital laboratory risks being closed down, with modern PCR equipment worth $millions to be confiscated.

I have spoken to a friend who is a nurse in hospital to sound if a positive result is possible. She has spoken to her trusted doctor in laboratory. Can't be done.

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

There is still the expensive Covid insurance that we must buy.

Getting rid of the insurance and the PCR test and replace with just a cheaper antigen test and minimum amount of cash that we must bring would be much better.

Edited by EricTh

4 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Probably in excess of a million daily cases in the UK but few deaths and manageable hospitalisations .Its not front page news anymore , restrictions have gone , its business as usual.

So the fact that Vietnam has far more reported cases than Thailand means very little , in all probability the infection rates are similar , Vietnam simply tests far more of its citizens.

Yet Vietnam is opening up and will grab a chunk of Thailands's tourist business , by contrast Thailand is continuing to shoot itself in the foot.

Clever , huh !

and The Banana Republics circus with it's clowns and midgets goes on and on.

• Like 1

I've red in Asean Now, topics about Thai people entering, flying, Thailand with covid, or even flying domestic with covid.

Also about people of other nations come in Thailand without covid testing, to work.

It appears to me then, that tourist section is a way to draw money from them and ruining a holiday !?

It is a group you can control and worth making money on in bad way. High bills from hospital and claming at insurances.

We already know, healthcare for non Thai in hospitals are 4 X the standard price.

As long as covid spreads by Thai people (today again 21000-ish) then what are you doing?

The number is low in Thailand, considering land size and people. "My" country is doing 31000/day at this moment and is way smaller, with lesser people then Thailand. However we are filling up again, now with Ukrainian people and they come in with no PCR test or whatever, as almost all regulations are gone.

The only regulation is they want you to wear mouthcap in plane ! Absurd, as also flying companies say so and will abort this rule. Wonder what is going to happen if they do, big fines ? Absurd indeed, as every weekend there is football with approx 30-40000 people packed together.

Biggest mistake ever was to not stop the world 2 years ago for 3 weeks or so. Now we are already 2 years in this pandemic and costing the world lots of money and more important (or not?)... lives 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, VBF said:

I agree. Approx 44 against the UKP is better than I've seen it many times over the years.

But what was the rate in 2014 when the unelected soldier posing as a PM and his Junta stole the country?

A bit more than 44Bt to the GBP, more nearer 50 Bt to the GBP.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That's a good point, anyone care to dispute this?

Certainly not Web MD...2-5 day incubation period for Covid-19. (Assuming this is the period when viral load is detectable and not onset of symptoms.)

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-incubation-period#:~:text=On average%2C symptoms showed up,were sick by day 14.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

I've red in Asean Now, topics about Thai people entering, flying, Thailand with covid, or even flying domestic with covid.

Also about people of other nations come in Thailand without covid testing, to work.

It appears to me then, that tourist section is a way to draw money from them and ruining a holiday !?

It is a group you can control and worth making money on in bad way. High bills from hospital and claming at insurances.

We already know, healthcare for non Thai in hospitals are 4 X the standard price.

As long as covid spreads by Thai people (today again 21000-ish) then what are you doing?

The number is low in Thailand, considering land size and people. "My" country is doing 31000/day at this moment and is way smaller, with lesser people then Thailand. However we are filling up again, now with Ukrainian people and they come in with no PCR test or whatever, as almost all regulations are gone.

The only regulation is they want you to wear mouthcap in plane ! Absurd, as also flying companies say so and will abort this rule. Wonder what is going to happen if they do, big fines ? Absurd indeed, as every weekend there is football with approx 30-40000 people packed together.

Biggest mistake ever was to not stop the world 2 years ago for 3 weeks or so. Now we are already 2 years in this pandemic and costing the world lots of money and more important (or not?)... lives 

but pre-entry test will be cancelled only from 1st April. All thai people entering legally to thailand still have to have negative pcr.

Of course, with recovery certificate within 90 days, everybody can enter even with positive result (if airline will allow them to board).

Unvaxed migrant workers might enter for 10 days quarantine. But everybody has to do 2 pcr. There is no way around it

No way I will travel to a country who still does testing.I spoke to a local Flight Centre (a large National Australian travel agency) today and they have had no bookings to Asian countries,

all bookings are to UK and USA where guess what no testing.

I think some on the Asian countries think they are Gods gift as a travel destination and we will come we wont

Edited by Stephen55
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Made quite a lot of international flights lately and never needed a PCR result.....

From where? I flew in from the US and through Korea was mandatory to show the pre flight pcr test results before boarding. They then put a sticker on your boarding pass which was double checked again at entry to the plane.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

From where? I flew in from the US and through Korea was mandatory to show the pre flight pcr test results before boarding. They then put a sticker on your boarding pass which was double checked again at entry to the plane.

All within Europe. It just depends on the countries you are flying to, not on the airlines. And even though I have a house in Thailand, I will not return as long Thailand sticks to their silly entry rules.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nicknoodle said:

I see many people say have to pay to go to hospital when asymptomatic, but this is not the case at all. Can isolate at a hotel or even at an Airbnb or a friend's place. Rule of thumb is pay nothing up front. But anyway, hopefully I will not have any issues upon my arrival. 

So you're saying if somebody tests positive when they arrive in Thailand they can self-isolate at a place they choose, and do not have to pay to stay at government approved 'quarantine' accommodation? 

I think you're wrong. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:
3 hours ago, Nicknoodle said:

I see many people say have to pay to go to hospital when asymptomatic, but this is not the case at all. Can isolate at a hotel or even at an Airbnb or a friend's place. Rule of thumb is pay nothing up front. But anyway, hopefully I will not have any issues upon my arrival. 

So you're saying if somebody tests positive when they arrive in Thailand they can self-isolate at a place they choose, and do not have to pay to stay at government approved 'quarantine' accommodation? 

I think you're wrong. 

As always in Thailand, I suspect experiences may vary. 

It is certainly the case that ‘domestic cases’ (i.e. anyone, including foreigners) who test PCR positive in Thailand (not new comers) can isolate in their home (house or condo etc). 

But, it seems that Thailand treats ‘international cases’ with extreme caution (and perhaps even a degree of outrage ‘how dare you bring covid into Thailand’ !!!!) and depending on your viewpoint of the subject seems to want punish people, the other end of that ‘opinion spectrum’ is that the MoPH wants to ensure that any ‘international cases’ are fully isolated as they could be a different variant. 

As the ‘different variant’ risk is becoming unlikely and the pandemic landscape is changing it may actually be possible to isolate at home if testing PCR positive with Day 1 Test&Go.

I’ve been in and out a few times under T&G and certainly IF I were to ever test positive with day 1 T&G I would politely kick-up a stink, claim no-funds and <deleted> insurance etc... and see if I can get away with isolating at home. 

That said: I have not heard of or read of any cases whereby a ‘international arrival’ testing positive has been given a choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Whist the arrival test and 5 day test are in place I would be reluctant to travel to Thailand due to, as you stated, enforced quarantine in a hospitel, They have done it the wrong way around and seems clear the money talks from the potential quarantine. Would not be surprised if there are some influential figures making noises somewhere.

ANY potential to be incarcerated in a hospital and I wouldn't want to go. Doesn't make for a stress free holiday.

Besides, looking at the photo at the beginning of the article shows why Thailand is no longer on my list of desirable places to spend my money. Phi Phi used to be a little paradise, and now paradise has been concreted over, like just about every beach in LOS worth going to.

Between the unmuffled long tails, jet skis, cons and waaaaay too expensive resorts, there isn't much to love about Thai beaches any longer.

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Phi Phi used to be a little paradise, and now paradise has been concreted over, like just about every beach in LOS worth going to.

A little off topic, but Thailand still has a lot of great, unspoiled beaches.  But they're not the ones you can get to without some effort.  Like Phi Phi used to be.  Used to be, you had to be adventurous to get there, too.

• Like 1

For me nothing changes except a reduction of time in the quarantine hotel, just be sure to get adequate travel insurance, be smart and continue taking the pre flight pcr, I know I will, I’ve no option due to business travel, spent about 2 and a half months in total quarantines last year traveling in/out, at least they’ve reduced the time spent,, but I’ll continue with that pcr just to be sure, don’t want to have to pay the excess for no reason, especially when most locals just stay at home when testing positive

Thailand gets it tits up backwards...however from the Vietnam news....

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Vietnam resumed last week its pre-pandemic visa exemption policy and reopened doors to all foreign tourists with relaxed entry rules, with visitors required to present a negative Covid test and no quarantine.

and Skyscanner for Vietnam...

Test/medical certificate required

Proof of a negative RT-PCR/RT-LAMP test, taken within the previous 72 hours, must be provided on arrival. Alternatively, a negative rapid antigen test, taken within the previous 24 hours before departure, is also accepted.