Who has a scientific explanations why this strange looking tool is good for the health?

ppatrick

Hi guys,

This tool is quite popular in Thailand (see attached picture). I've seen it in many Thai houses. It's very simple to use; simply stand on it for 5 to 20 minutes. The Thais claim that it stretches the calf muscles which helps in blood circulation of the entire body and other whole hose of benefits. I wonder how true is this or is it just a folk tales. Anyone has a link that shows any scientific explanation of the benefits from using this tool? Feel free to share your opinions or experiences. Thanks.

Untitled.jpg

• Haha 1

My wife's cousin has one in her home, when I asked about it I was told the cousin runs a beauty salon and is on her feet a lot and this helps at the end of the day.  A little searching found they are called "slant board (for calf)".  

Seems they are good for stretching calf muscles and also helps with knee pain.

3 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

Sidewalk.   curb.   same, same, free, free.

I'm not searching for any "science" on this, as I don't really care that much.  In my many decades of experience, this only helps if you are sure your calves are sore.  maybe before or after a run, that's all.  

save the trees!!!! use a curb.  2 minutes

A curb is the edge of a pavement made from long kirb stones. Kirb stones are usually longer and deeper than paving stones.  A pavement is English  usage for what Americans call a sidewalk.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

You remember to old sawing machine same principal, but at least when you work on out on that machine you can sew a dress in the meantime...

I think you meant sewing machine and have to ask, were  the dresses for you or someone else ?

• Haha 1

I have occasional bouts of restless leg syndrome.....middle of the night sort of stuff that can keep me awake.

I've done exercises on a homemade set up similar to the photo.  I do a few minutes about an hour before going to bed.  That seems to solve my problem.

• Like 1

This is similar to the exercise called Gravity Drop:

Gravity Drop will teach a body to recognize a proper alignment, strengthen and stretch leg and calf muscles, and get the hips out of rotation. It will help to re-establish a link between the heels and knees, hips, and shoulders. [from https://uprightposturefitness.com/better-posture-in-gravity-drop/]

gravity-drop-collage

Edited by LarryLEB
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, phetphet said:

So that's how the Thais manage to squat down on their haunches.

I always fall over when I try.

Yes, me too. 

They spend a lot of time down there, it's a popular resting place. They look so comfortable, I prefer a chair to sit and relax. 

Being in that squatting position would bring on a #2, good for the morning dropping of the Bomb. 

Achilles tendon stretch, strongest / largest tendon in the body, gastroc/soleus (calf) muscle group is very strong, need whole body weight to stretch.

Lots of people get calf cramps especially at night that this stretch can relieve.

As others have pointed out stretching this tendon also makes squatting easier and more comfortable.

Nothing magic about it.

Not in anyway phony or quackery.

Unless you are a real tightwad the cost of one of these should be affordable.

The photo that somebody shared of doing this stretch on stairs with handrail is just as good, maybe better since can use rail for balance,

Edited by cdemundo
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I have one and swear by them. You have no idea how they lengthen my slim and attractive, waxed calves after I've spent a night out on the town cross dressing in my oh so high stiletto's lol ????

The tool I was thinking of massages my...well you know, when I bend over.

4 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Achilles tendon stretch, strongest / largest tendon in the body, gastroc/soleus (calf) muscle group is very strong, need whole body weight to stretch.

Yes. Squatting is a red herring in the topic, merely offering members an ever welcome opportunity to jump in and call attention to their anuses and bowel movements.

Anyone who does much walking or running knows to stretch the Achilles tendons--not so much to make things easier but to avoid tendonitis and other issues. For our wrinklies, a tight Achilles adds to their balance problem.

This device is OK as far as it goes but not optimal for calf strengthening, also good for mobility and balance. Similarly for eccentric exercises for rehab of achilles tendinopathy, a common issue for runners.

Earlier we had the staircase, showing the general idea of what’s better. A good cheap portable tool for stretching and strengthening is a yoga block or two. Slow one-legged calf raises on a block using full body weight can be quite effective.

If you don't know about proper technique, find some vids on youtube to explain. Must avoid overdoing it. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, ppatrick said:

Wow, thanks for the English name! Now I could do more research ???? Also thanks for the video

I have one in the carport near to a cement roof support pillar.
I had a stroke some years ago and found this leg stand useful in recovery.
You can either do a step-up ( beware  it doesn't tip to the side ), or, stand straight as possible on it holding the cement pillar, you can pull yourself up and closer to the pillar, you can also hold the pillar more lower and lean backwards slightly.
It's tough at first but helps maintain good posture which benefits many parts of the body.
I'm in my 70's and use most days.

• Like 2

Our nephew in Bangkok gave a slant stand to us many years ago.  He has gout.

I found it behind a door in a spare bedroom.  I've just begun using it.  It is very painful to my calves.  My neuropathy affects all six body extensions.  I am almost 73, and also have diabetes.  I see a neurologist at Phraram 9 Hospital in Bangkok every six months.  No therapy is cited or offered; however, 'pain' pills are either Cymbalta or Gabapentin.  These are for depressed people and those with epileptic and other seizures, respectively.  I become a zombie when I took the former, and a very relaxed non-zombie when I take the latter.  I rarely have used either.  I look forward to stretching my calf muscles and flexing on my toes.  I walk up and down two flights of stairs at our house several times a day, ten risers each.

Terry

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

Edited by Fortean1
line length is staggered