Fair price for high quality tailored t-shirts?

Jingthing

Buy your wife a sewing machine - my wife alters any clothes when we're in the UK if necessary

In BKK I just get the lady on the Soi to do it - usually @75-100 baht.

She has told my wife she'll no longer alter my shorts as they're held together just by her thread ???? - but at 100 an alteration I still want my favourite shorts.

2 hours ago, whereyougo said:

I want to buy socks and undies anybody advise what price I should pay? I dont wanna get ripped off

Depends. Hand made from the finest cashmeres and silks? Or all nylon from China? Monogramed ? Or not?

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I would be more interested in them after 50 (once a week for a year) laundry cycles.

Why I would wear a t-shirt that costs less than 5 USD for more than a year? Not that I am paying $500 for a t-shirt.
https://shop.brunellocucinelli.com/en-us/men/ready-to-wear/t-shirts-polos/slim-fit-t-shirt-221MTS761308.html?template=search/grid2Template

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

That looks like it's Henley style

Yes, as I mentioned in my 1st comment.....

It's a style I liked in my ball playing jersey days & was pleasantly surprised to find it popular here.....

My daughters wear my old jerseys for nighties & lounging now....

just to add on the comments of 9XL above, I have ordered some shorts from China which were for waist of 32in (medium at best in America?) and they were like labeled as 4XL (if not more)

the sizing is definitely a mess. sometimes you are lucky and they have sizing in metric sizes so you can kind of figure it out tho

• Like 1

Search for "big" sizes on Lazada and Aliexpress. Follow the size charts and on Aliexpress read the reviews. You can also chat with the vendor and send your measurements and get a recommendation.  So order one and if it's not the right size, order the next bigger or smaller from the same vendor, assuming acceptable quality. Use the other one as a cleaning rag or something, or give it away to one of the maids who'll find a use for it. I'm a believer in earning karma points.

That's what I do, and it works. I know what to get next time and from whom. I mostly wear athletic shirts, slightly harder to fit well.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 9:32 PM, kekalot said:

just to add on the comments of 9XL above, I have ordered some shorts from China which were for waist of 32in (medium at best in America?) and they were like labeled as 4XL (if not more)

the sizing is definitely a mess. sometimes you are lucky and they have sizing in metric sizes so you can kind of figure it out tho

As I've been.indicating the size numbers are meaningless.

At home I wear Arrow XL wife beaters and they fit OK. Not 2 XL. Just XL. Bought in Thailand at Big C. Clearly a western sizing perhaps cut even larger.

Checking my Lazada orders I see 6XL and 7XL shirts from China that were too small. I doubt their 8XL would fit either and I recall it doesn't go higher.

But I will try again on Lazada. Different vendors. I'm wearing old t shirts now that I've had for decades. Not because I want to.

Edited by Jingthing

If you are going to a tailer for a tshirt.. i dont think price is your problem. Tailer will be expensive and  we all know that. Why dont you go to a shopping mall and buy a tshirt? There are lot of shops and good stuff there. No need online too. Prices will be around 500-2500. 

I dont know tailer tshirts but there are lot of indians at silom or sukhumwit trying sell suits. You might want to check them. But starts from 30K. And lot of scamers. 

15 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

If you are going to a tailer for a tshirt.. i dont think price is your problem. Tailer will be expensive and  we all know that. Why dont you go to a shopping mall and buy a tshirt? There are lot of shops and good stuff there. No need online too. Prices will be around 500-2500. 

I dont know tailer tshirts but there are lot of indians at silom or sukhumwit trying sell suits. You might want to check them. But starts from 30K. And lot of scamers. 

After tried a few tailors In Thailand, the end result is never satisfying. Even one of the Tailors who had pictures on the wall with him and Steven Seagal and other Hollywood stars, and bragged about having many famous customers, did not come close to what I expected.

I have a old pants of linin from Boss, and have tried to find one who could copy it for me, both the cut and fabric. Everyone sys no problem, but so far not succeeded. 

When saying copy, it doesn't involve Boss buttons, neither logo, which I do not want.

The golf brand I linked to earlier is a Scottish who started making Europeen sizes here in Thailand, and is the brand where you got what you pay for ++ and the true sizes as described.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

Sizes;

Pretty meahingless using letters, they vary way too much by country and even more by who made it.

Best used as an "indication" of approximate size, nothing more.

Production.

Mass produced by the thousands naturally will drive the price down.An individual custom made shirt is not going to be a cheap item.There is alot of work involved.

If you already have a shirt that fits comfortably, take the measurements directly off that and have it reproduced, you'll know its gonna fit.

Material.

Thailand is awash with fabric, there are areas, particularly in Bangkok are designated purely to fabric.You can get nice material and a wide choice, browsing in that area.

Design.

Browse the internet for images of what you actually want to achieve.

You get what you pay for !

No one is going to produce a Custom shirt for under 800 baht thats any good.(generally).

Sometimes its better and more cost effective to buy something you like in a larger size and have it altered to fit you. There are many skilled machinists here who can produce good work, the trick is finding them .????

I've been buying these for a while, sizing is western (U.S.) and accurate.

https://www.limillustbkk.com/gildan-ultra-cotton

The premium cotton version is a bit "lighter".

They have Hanes, Champion, Fruit of the Loom.

Gazillions of other retailers on Facebook.

I've been buying short-sleeve shirts on FB at auction (new, but factory-seconds I think) for a while. Awesome stuff, name-brand ready-to-wear, bids start at 80 baht.

I'd ask the price at the tailor for twelve, then report back. We'll advise if it's "fair".

What is your budget?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To the OP and others.

There are a few t-shirt printers/suppliers/wholesalers in Bangkok that sell "quality" t-shirts like "Fruit of the Loom" and "Hanes" - they are Western sizing and come in different cotton weights.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

To the OP and others.

There are a few t-shirt printers/suppliers/wholesalers in Bangkok that sell "quality" t-shirts like "Fruit of the Loom" and "Hanes" - they are Western sizing and come in different cotton weights.

RAZZ

Bought a few items from Lazada of Rip Curls and Quicksilver i had from before, and they have been good prized and authentic sizes. Shorts and shirts. 

• Like 1

B1000 per shirt. Go to your local central and find a very expensive shirt. It should be no less quality although often factory made shirts better than anything less than best tailors due to machines and QC.

Anyway, see the stitching is tight, look at the button holes. Recommend light poplin 80 cotton, 20 poly. Thin not medium weight. I personally would not go for fitted shirts especially if you are heavy. If planning to wear outside your pants then have the bottom of the shirt one length. Straight cut.

I buy my clothes in US. The clothes here don't fit me right. That opportunity is closing next year.

Before you do any of this go to Uniqlo and have a look. Also in Pattaya I recall Export shops (2000-07). If you shop hard you can find decent stuff there.

Also, come to BKK. Make a week out of it. Tailors hit and miss especially Pattaya! Start at Chatuchak and JJ mall maybe. Go upmarket from there... Union mall, Centrals. Even big C.

Edited by TheScience

Join the Pattaya Hash. You should get a few shirts every year. In Bangkok they get around 6 a year!

Most hashers have so many shirts they don't know what to do with them.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Haha 2

On 3/24/2022 at 7:59 PM, pgrahmm said:

This is the collar style of one of the ones that I had made....This is 8 plus years with about once a week wear....

IMG20220324195109.jpg

I hate those collars.

Standard collar for myself is best. Looks the best. IMO only acceptable shirt type to wear with shorts in BKK.

59 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

To the OP and others.

RAZZ

He doesn't want t shirts.

Those are good brands but my issue with them is that they also tend to be heavy and therefore hot.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's my belief shirt sizing in the US changed to make fat people feel better about themselves and buy more. I was an XL forever until I was a L. 

True.

Before I was definitely in between M and L. I needed L for my height and I'd started to get a bit of a belly.

I now have M slim fit and... Some medium I'm swimming in

Women's sizes are even worse. My wife is swimming in size zero now.

3 minutes ago, TheScience said:

Yuk. They're dated. V neck ?? Even worse. Crews? That no collar. A t shirt.

Dated in your view but still very much in Style

https://www.realmenrealstyle.com/henley/

Today we're looking at an awesome T-shirt alternative that way too many guys are missing out on: the Henley shirt.

https://theadultman.com/fashion-and-style/best-henley-shirts-men/

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 2