Retirement Extension Renewal Issue/Jomtien

My retirement extension expires March 29.

Yesterday, March 23 I went to Jomtien Immigration to renew it.  I had previously gone to the nearby Bangkok Bank branch and requested the necessary Bank letter and copies of my transactions.  I had never gone below the B800K requirement.  I didn't realize it but the bank only gave me the last 6 months transactions, not the full year.  

I updated my passbook on the day I went to Immigration.

The I.O. said I needed copies of a full years transactions dating from my last years application date so renewal refused.

I returned to the Bangkok Bank office and requested the full years transactions.  I was told that because my account was opened at a Bangkok branch of Bangkok Bank, thus in another province, that it would take a full 5 working days to get the documents which works out to March 30,  one day past my extension expiration on March 29.

What are my options??

Because passbooks are often not updated often enough to avoid missing entries.  With the requirement for yearly bank statements for those using pension income from countries that embassy will not provide letters of income officers have become familiar with yearly bank statements and can quickly read them so often asked.

As said Bangkok Bank branch office can only provide up to six months.  So if using them would have to go twice or request yearly statement that they obtain from Bangkok Hqs and takes a few days (even for a branch in Bangkok).  

• Like 2

In Phuket Town Bangkok Bank, they told me they could email the statements to me. This was two days ago, and the statements arrived in about 36 hours.

I still have to go back to get them stamped, however. You might ask if the branch can email them.

This was news to me. I'd number heard of it before.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Bangkok Bank branches can only provide statements for the preceding 6 months - for a full 12 months they have to request them from the head office in Bangkok which takes about one week - 5 business days. 

Question , so when you receive the 12 monthly bank statement , ( by post I assume ) isn't the bank statement update a few days in deficit ? Some Immi. Offices want the bank statement to be updated to the same day or at least only a day old .

22 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Question , so when you receive the 12 monthly bank statement , ( by post I assume ) isn't the bank statement update a few days in deficit ? Some Immi. Offices want the bank statement to be updated to the same day or at least only a day old .

That is normally not a problem when need to show a year of bank statement. If they were to make a problem you could get a one month bank statement to use with it.

• Like 1

Do you have access to online banking? If so why don't you print your own statements. I can login to my ttb online banking and print up to 12 months worth of statements quite easily. Have done so each year since these rules came in. Then just take printouts to bank the same day as I get my bank guarantee letter and have them certified. Perhaps Bangkok Bank aren't that forward thinking.

34 minutes ago, NE1 said:

It will always be deficit - you also require a letter from bank of current account balance and ownership as previously required.

43 minutes ago, NE1 said:

To get around this problem, I go to my local Bangkok Branch a couple of weeks before the day I am going to Hua Hin to do the renewal. I ask them to provide a 12 month statement from the last renewal. As you rightly point out, there is a gap and to get around this I go to the branch and get a 6 month statement and collect the 12 month statement as well as the balance letter the day before I go to Hua Hin. Problem solved. 

Edited by worrab
Reword
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, worrab said:

As you rightly point out, there is a gap and to get around this I go to the branch and get a 6 month statement and collect the 12 month statement as well as the balance letter the day before I go to Hua Hin. Problem solved. 

Actually, if you have the 12 month statement, just updating passbook and the bank letter are all that is required in Bangkok and suspect most places. 

Edited by lopburi3

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Is this new at Jomtien? Thought the 12 months bank statements was for the "monthly 65k income method" not "800k in the bank" method??? For 800k method, isn't updated bank book(s) showing previous 12 months all that is needed?

I hadn't kept my bankbook updated with each transaction throughout the year, thus many entries are combined, apparently not acceptable.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

If your passbook shows 12 month's transactions, why do they need a separate statement?

Because Jomtien are a rogue office when it comes to retirement extensions (they also insist on those using the 800k method to return after 90 days with proof that their bank balance hasn't dipped a single satang below the required minimum in the meantime).

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Do you have access to online banking? If so why don't you print your own statements. I can login to my ttb online banking and print up to 12 months worth of statements quite easily. Have done so each year since these rules came in. Then just take printouts to bank the same day as I get my bank guarantee letter and have them certified. Perhaps Bangkok Bank aren't that forward thinking.

Unlikely to work in practice, I fear. Immigration insist on statements being stamped and initialled by bank officials (as you appear to imply, in fact). Doubt whether many of them would, however, be willing to stamp and initial an online statement which you had printed off, and would insist instead on providing a bespoke statement at a cost of 100 THB. 

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

switch to the BKK bank near Jomtien Immigration.  I understand they work closely with them and eliminate problems like this.

If not for this time, then for the next (assurable) headache problem to come.

Bangkok Bank, Jomtien 2nd Rd. branch is where I went and requested whatever statements were required by Immigration for the retirement extension as I figured they would know.  They gave me 6 months and never said a word about a year.

Sorry, but you can not trust them to provide accurate information.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dddave said:

Bangkok Bank, 2nd Rd. branch is where I went and requested whatever statements were required by Immigration for the retirement extension as I figured they would know.  They gave me 6 months and never said a word about a year.

Sorry, but you can not trust them to provide accurate information.

There is another recent thread about best bank for holding retirement funds.  BKK branch right next to immigration is the most recommended one as people explained they work directly with Jom Immigration for these matters.  Not any other branches, as you mention.

1 minute ago, dddave said:

Sorry, but you can not trust them to provide accurate information

This suggestion won't assist you this time, however I suggest to anyone using the funds in bank method retirement to have a designated bank account for immigration purposes. 

A FD account is an option.

Statements not required at CW so given Jomtien is a stupid office not sure if separate account would assist. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This suggestion won't assist you this time, however I suggest to anyone using the funds in bank method retirement to have a designated bank account for immigration purposes. 

A FD account is an option.

Statements not required at CW so given Jomtien is a stupid office not sure if separate account would assist. 

I think this is a good suggestion.  Keeping the B800K in an account separate from my routine banking activity makes sense.

Does anybody know if Bangkok Bank allows an individual to hold 2 separate passbook accounts?

43 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually, if you have the 12 month statement, just updating passbook and the bank letter are all that is required in Bangkok and suspect most places. 

Not at Hua Hin as this was confirmed in a phone call. As was said elsewhere, unless you regularly update the passbook, transactions can be missed.

5 minutes ago, dddave said:

I think this is a good suggestion.  Keeping the B800K in an account separate from my routine banking activity makes sense.

Does anybody know if Bangkok Bank allows an individual to hold 2 separate passbook accounts?

Yes, as that is exactly what I have but still have to present a 12 month and 6 month statement on top of the bank letter. No real hassle to do this.

9 minutes ago, worrab said:

Yes, as that is exactly what I have but still have to present a 12 month and 6 month statement on top of the bank letter. No real hassle to do this.

Are those accounts used only for immigration purposes no daily banking involved. Jomtien? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, worrab said:

Not at Hua Hin as this was confirmed in a phone call. As was said elsewhere, unless you regularly update the passbook, transactions can be missed.

Not if you don't make any transactions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Not if you don't make any transactions. 

I know and this really does not make any sense. Immigration cannot see this point of view but for the sake of popping into the branch a couple of times, it makes life easier. Especially as it is a 2.30 hour run one way to Hua Hin for me.