Will tourism in Thailand bounce back from Covid differently?

webfact

8 hours ago, actonion said:

Fabulous beaches ..where? .......I've seen better, cleaner beaches  in south west UK  than Thailand..

As for over rated Thai restaurant food, that has too much sugar and salt added , cooked in the cheapest oil, in very un hygienic  conditions 

Besides 80% of the oranges sold in Thailand are not suitable for human consumption due to the extensive use of pesticides/herbicides, 64% of the vegetable sold as well, 80% of the sausages contain unhealthy amounts of nitrates, not to mention the amount of antibiotics in chicken meat. Bon appétit!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The OP stated. 

"The bar girls headed back to their families long ago, and may have settled back into country life, so will they be tempted back?"

I think the adulterated words of a famous song relates here.

"How ya gonna keep them down on the farm.....after they've seen the farm"

12 hours ago, actonion said:

Fabulous beaches ..where? .......I've seen better, cleaner beaches  in south west UK  than Thailand..

As for over rated Thai restaurant food, that has too much sugar and salt added , cooked in the cheapest oil, in very un hygienic  conditions 

Beaches were good due to Covid. I spent a few months in Phuket, weather was a bit iffy, but the beaches were lovely. Once mass tourism starts up then the jet skis , long tails, plus the fully booked hotels pumping their waste into the sea, etc will pollute the water again. Thailand has no infrastructure. Whereas in western countries we do all we can to preserve the beautiful coast lines and beaches are checked regularly, waste does not go in the sea. I’ve been on Phuket and the other smaller islands when they were quiet, and when they were full, and the latter is not pleasant ! 
The people who I saw the last two months were quite disappointed, the villages looked a mess, signs hanging swaying in the breeze and filthy streets.. all locked up and abandoned. The quality of restaurant food has also fallen drastically. The fish comes from Makro, even the vegetables and fruit ! As mentioned above, the food has become hardly acceptable. I did stay 10 days in Bangkok though, where I was quite impressed with the efforts made . Enjoyed Bangkok more. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, geisha said:

The fish comes from Makro, even the vegetables and fruit

?

What is the problem many restaurant owners shop at Macro.  The fish and other foods are kept in proper environments to maintain freshness.  Better then the outdoor Thai markets with everything sitting in the hot sun for days.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but about 98% of the sex industry clients in Thailand are Thai.

IMO excessive regulation is the problem, many countries that make it much easier for tourists.

I agree!

I like to buy a little bit of handicraft/home decor when I visit. And a bit of tat like fake designer tote bags at MBK Mall for friends.

Will it be the same dusty leftovers from 2019? Probably. Without capital to restock, most of night market offering are going to be spare and worn.

Also, a lot of woodcarvers etc. will have given up by now -and they were just holding on before.

So: Less shopping to go with less nightlife, less good food as they try to maximize profit, and higher prices. Will def. hurt my return visit habit. 

On the other hand, I can't wait to go back and have already downscaled my expectations. 2nd rate Thailand will still be a draw for Thai-ophiles like myself, but if it's more than 20% more expensive and 20% less good, I will def. be spacing out the  return visits.

As this obvious click bait thread generates endless and clueless conjectures, i just realize I could not care less. I don't miss the herds of tourists or backpackers (if there is a difference). They are annoying, unaesthetic and have no positive impact other than spending their money. Keeping visitors to the low numbers we have today is quite relaxing actually

• Like 1

More like will Thailand bounce back after Covid, war in Ukraine, and possible war in Taiwan. 

You could not ask for a more perfect storm for tourism disaster in Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, garyk said:

More like will Thailand bounce back after Covid, war in Ukraine, and possible war in Taiwan. 

You could not ask for a more perfect storm for tourism disaster in Thailand.

Sure you could and some would be delighted

Edited by jerrymahoney

7 hours ago, MrNatural said:

As this obvious click bait thread generates endless and clueless conjectures, i just realize I could not care less. I don't miss the herds of tourists or backpackers (if there is a difference). They are annoying, unaesthetic and have no positive impact other than spending their money. Keeping visitors to the low numbers we have today is quite relaxing actually

It may be relaxing for you. I know half a dozen Thais whose livelihoods have been destroyed by the downturn in tourism. For example, caddies at one of the golf courses I play were earning 9K - 10K baht per month. Now, they are lucky to be taking home 3K.

How would you like it if your income was suddenly reduced by two-thirds?

You may think it does not affect you. It does. Restaurants close, there is less choice. The ones that stay open put their prices up, less competition. Fewer bus services scheduled due to lack of demand, the same with air travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1