Agent to Assist with 400k Funds in Bank

7 hours ago, tomster said:

"My yearly renewal for my Non’O’ (Parent of Thai child visa) is due soon but I will not have enough time to put the full 400k in the bank from my own funds. "

How could this possibly be anything other than extension to stay based on being the parent of a Thai Child?

Really no need to correct people who use the word visa unless it is unclear what they are talking about, which is definitely not the case here.

I agree that, in this case, it is possible to be reasonably sure from context what was meant (assuming the OP had not made less likely errors in describing what he was looking for).

That is why I wrote ...

Depending on the full context, it is sometimes ...

and later ...

It is often possible to distinguish things like ...

Your previous post was implying that terminology was irrelevant, and someone (not me) pointing out the difference to people was pointless. My reply was trying to explain why  (although I had not previously mentioned it myself in the thread) people should try to be clear in their enquiries to avoid confusion, and to make the thread potentially useful to others who might have similar or different questions.

You can take the view that calling every stamp and sticker in your passport a "visa" is fine, because we can usually figure out the most likely meaning from the context. That is fine. You are free to continue believing that. However, I disagree, and will not apologise for explaining why.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP needs the 400k covered by use of agent. 

I hope an agent can assist him. 

I am sure agents can assist him. They do for retirement visa why this will be any different. I lived two years on retirement visa using agents and without putting 800K baht in Thai accounts. Just hand over my passport, they take me to the immigration office in a limo (they call it a limo bit it is a Honda civic ????) and after 15 minutes take me back to their office. I come back the next day to collect my passport. No hassle with waiting, paper works, TM 30 or any other nonsense for a grand total of 12K BHT while my 800K BHT was compounding in US market.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

From what I hear they just bounce the funds in and out on the same day while you wait. The visa gets extended by a corrupt immigration person who overlooks it via the agent.

That's exactly how my visa stamp was obtained in Kalasin immigration as they make the best visa agents these days and way cheaper as they cut off the middle man.

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

Just hand over my passport, they take me to the immigration office in a limo (they call it a limo bit it is a Honda civic ????) and after 15 minutes take me back to their office. I come back the next day to collect my passport. No hassle with waiting, paper works, TM 30 or any other nonsense for a grand total of 12K BHT

That's some service.....was that long ago? What would the cost be today I wonder?

20 minutes ago, bojo said:

That's some service.....was that long ago? What would the cost be today I wonder?

I paid only for two years during the Covid as I stayed the full two years in Thailand, kind of self isolated. Prior to that I used to stay for 6-months in Thailand on OA visa. Now not sure what I would do as I am getting older close to start drawing my SS in the next two years.  Waiting for nomad visa announcement in May. 

Edited by Onerak

10 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I paid only for two years during the Covid as I stayed the full two years in Thailand, kind of self isolated. Prior to that I used to stay for 6-months in Thailand on OA visa. Now not sure what I would do as I am getting older close to start drawing my SS in the next two years.  Waiting for nomad visa announcement in May. 

Are you getting to old to travel home for another O-A?

2 hours ago, Onerak said:

They do for retirement visa why this will be any different

Extensions of stay based on retirement are all done and agreed at local immigration level.

Those for marriage or being the parent of a child are sent to regional headquarters for approval.  Much more difficult to pay a bribe in the case of missing documents.

Also, the documentation for retirement extensions is relatively easy when compared to that of other types of extensions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Are you getting to old to travel home for another O-A?

I'm in the USA now. O-A requires a health insurance. I have a high deductible UHC health insurance with 10,000 USD HSA cards. That is not acceptable for O-A visa. 

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

I'm in the USA now. O-A requires a health insurance. I have a high deductible UHC health insurance with 10,000 USD HSA cards. That is not acceptable for O-A visa. 

Why can't you get thai insurance through a company like pacific cross for the o-a? The cost is minimal. Are you too old to qualify?

On 4/4/2022 at 7:29 PM, tomster said:

"My yearly renewal for my Non’O’ (Parent of Thai child visa) is due soon but I will not have enough time to put the full 400k in the bank from my own funds. "

How could this possibly be anything other than extension to stay based on being the parent of a Thai Child?

Really no need to correct people who use the word visa unless it is unclear what they are talking about, which is definitely not the case here.

Alternative: Agent Non O 12 month non extendable non- financial 

On 4/4/2022 at 8:04 AM, nickmondo said:

only 10%!  ha ha

Secured on Property or Land  ?????

On 4/4/2022 at 7:40 PM, tomster said:

There absolutely is a family visa, it's an extension to stay based on being the parent of a Thai child, the parent of a foreign child or it could also be used to describe the extension to stay based on your child supporting you that I didn't know existed until the other day (and does not require any money in the bank by yourself, your child is the guarantor but must be over 20).

It's like saying there is no such thing as "fish and chips", it's "deep fried cod in batter with deep fried potatoes".

Exactly. My 60 Day Family Visit Extension of Stay ( No prior Family Visa) cannot be extended so being over 50 I’m getting the O Retirement Visa ( 12 months ; non- extendable; no financials; 22k ; in- country ; Agent ).

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2022 at 7:08 PM, BritTim said:

Depending on the full context, it is sometimes not difficult, but impossible. The question can be either about application for a Non O visa at Immigration, or about application for a one-year extension of permission to stay.

It is often possible to distinguish things like "visa on arrival" from "visa exempt", and recognise people talking of "exit visas" mean re-entry permits. However, there can often be real confusion when the correct terms are not used. Also, it can be useful when Google searches can be used to look for people with similar issues. For all the technical prowess of Alphabet, a search engine is not going to be able to figure things like this out to deliver relevant search results.

Exit Visa though means Permission To Leave Country ( like Philippines Citizens leaving their own country !).

Re-Entry Permit merely prevents canceling a valid visa on departure.

Its not actual permission to enter, leave or stay which is visa definition. 
( Which is why an “extension of stay” IS a Visa, by Imm. Use & Dictionary).

So REP is not really a visa as it only “permits” not cancelling existing visa / extn. unless considered a “visa to maintain a visa” ? getting silly then …..

Never before

On 4/4/2022 at 6:42 PM, DrJack54 said:

How does that assist the OP. 

heard of people mixing the meanings of these two quite different documents  …..????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Why can't you get thai insurance through a company like pacific cross for the o-a? The cost is minimal. Are you too old to qualify?

Last time I asked them they quoted me 40K+ excluding my pre-existing condition. 

4 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Re-Entry Permit merely prevents canceling a valid visa on departure.

Its not actual permission to enter, leave or stay which is visa definition. 
( Which is why an “extension of stay” IS a Visa, by Imm. Use & Dictionary).

So REP is not really a visa as it only “permits” not cancelling existing visa / extn. unless considered a “visa to maintain a visa” ? getting silly then …..

You laughed at someone correcting you, but let me try to explain why they were right.

You cannot by any mechanism prevent a visa being cancelled. If a single entry visa is used, or a multiple entry visa has expired, then you cannot use it to enter Thailand. If a visa is still valid, you need no extra stamps in your passport to be able to use it.

A re-entry permit essentially converts an existing permission to stay into something very similar to a visa. Like a visa, it allows you to enter the country with the permission to stay it protects still being intact as though you had never left. Again like a visa, it can be either single or multiple entry. The term "re-entry permit" is extremely descriptive of what it is.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You laughed at someone correcting you, but let me try to explain why they were right.

You cannot by any mechanism prevent a visa being cancelled. If a single entry visa is used, or a multiple entry visa has expired, then you cannot use it to enter Thailand. If a visa is still valid, you need no extra stamps in your passport to be able to use it.

A re-entry permit essentially converts an existing permission to stay into something very similar to a visa. Like a visa, it allows you to enter the country with the permission to stay it protects still being intact as though you can never left. Again like a visa, it can be either single or multiple entry. The term "re-entry permit" is extremely descriptive of what it is.

Thanks. Finally someone has provided evidence to counter mine.

Just can’t mainly make sense of it. Will try to simplify my views.

Can re- enter country without re- entry permit. Just not under pre- departure visa / extn. status, which has of course expired if leaving without the re- entry permit. 

“ visa” is dictionary -defined, very simple & comprehensive. It includes “ extensions of stay” which Immigration here and everywhere call “visas”.

A visa is either a visa or its not. It’s either valid or it’s not. nothing is “similar”. an exit stamp is not a visa for example but an entry stamp is. 

a re-entry permit then is a sub- visa maintaining main visa as unchanged, upon leaving and returning. It doesn’t “convert” anything.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

I think what makes Thailand's visa and immigration rules difficult to understand for outsiders is that the system is atypical. I have lived and worked in many countries, and everywhere I have been except Thailand you have a visa that allows you to enter and stay in the country, with the visa dictating the conditions of your stay (often also being your work permit). This is pretty simple, and the dictionary definition for "visa" in US (and similar) dictionaries reflects that typical situation. In understanding Thailand's system, you need to get away from the idea of all encompassing visas. There is a clear distinction between a visa and a permission to stay. You simply cannot understand the rules until you internalise this distinction.

Thanks. Not suggesting any “all encompassing visas” here and do recognize & operate the obvious functional distinctions here. But learning all the time.

Internet & Forum Research get me only so far with the unique Thai system which I still have not completely understood but again I only require “sufficient” options understanding for my case.  

I found recently the Non O Retirement Visa / 12 month non extendable / issued in - country.

Unsure if that’s a 12 month pure visa OR O Visa which on day one is converted to Retirement AND a 12 month “ Extention of stay”.

My point I guess is that any distinction doesn’t matter to me as functional outcome the same.

Have worked / lived all over, well established here since 2004 whilst mainly working outside but rarely needing any Longstay Visa. Only had two the whole time but about to get the third, hence opening this Topic.

Once got a London Embassy Longstay Visa ( 12 months) which I thought was Retirement but no actual conversion seen so maybe not, O or OA ? Don’t know. O status seems for in- country visas only. OA for Embassy / Consulate Issue. Again these distinctions don’t matter to me only outcome.

Thailand is certainly unique in my experience with its visa system. Only Country I know of that issues Original Actual Visas INSIDE the destination country and where there are effectively No Imm. Rules that can’t be circumvented. All Good. 

Thanks Again for your interest and helpful comments.

Edited by TropicalGuy

On 4/5/2022 at 3:19 AM, nightfox said:

That's exactly how my visa stamp was obtained in Kalasin immigration as they make the best visa agents these days and way cheaper as they cut off the middle man.

That In & Out has stopped in Phuket, at least with the popular recommended Agent I spoke with last week.

On 4/5/2022 at 5:15 AM, youreavinalaff said:

Extensions of stay based on retirement are all done and agreed at local immigration level.

Those for marriage or being the parent of a child are sent to regional headquarters for approval.  Much more difficult to pay a bribe in the case of missing documents.

Also, the documentation for retirement extensions is relatively easy when compared to that of other types of extensions.

It's normally approx 5k more expensive for the marriage or parental type extensions because of this.

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

I found recently the Non O Retirement Visa / 12 month non extendable / issued in - country.

Unsure if that’s a 12 month pure visa OR O Visa which on day one is converted to Retirement AND a 12 month “ Extention of stay”.

You are referring to a non O based on retirement.

It gives a stay of 90 days.

That permission of stay can be extended by 12 months and that is generally done within last 30 days of the 90.

At the same time you mention "unsure if that's a 12 month pure visa....."

What your thinking of there could be a ME non O marriage. 

Previously folk obtained them commonly at Savannakhet.

Cannot be obtained inside Thailand. Valid for one year.

Or you could be referring to a non O-A. The later being most likely as your questions are concerning retirement.

You also state this....

"Once got a London Embassy Longstay Visa ( 12 months) which I thought was Retirement but no actual conversion seen so maybe not, O or OA ?"

What you obtained was non O-A.

That visa is a multiple entry visa valid for one year and each time you enter you are stamped in for 12 months. Has insurance requirements. Can only be obtained in home country or country where you are a permanent resident.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

That permission of stay can be extended by 12 months and that is generally done within last 30 days of the 90.

Or you could be referring to a non O-A. The later being most likely as your questions are concerning retirement.

Historically (and still possibly at some embassies/consulates) there was also the multiple entry Non O (retirement). This was particularly useful for those from the UK with state pensions as there were no financial requirements other than having any state pension.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Internet & Forum Research get me only so far with the unique Thai system which I still have not completely understood but again I only require “sufficient” options understanding for my case.  

I will just say that understanding "for your case" becomes a lot easier if you try to grasp the basics before applying it to a specific situation. Jumping into the rules for a specific visa or extension is similar to jumping into the middle of a mystery novel and reading a random 10 pages. You will rarely be able to understand the whole plot, but you will also likely have a flawed understanding of the context of those 10 pages.

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Historically (and still possibly at some embassies/consulates) there was also the multiple entry Non O (retirement). This was particularly useful for those from the UK with state pensions as there were no financial requirements other than having any state pension.

That's correct.

There was a guy (Peter Denis) used to refer to that visa often. 

Also (at that time) supposedly available in Savannakhet.

Have never met anyone that has obtained one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You also state this....

"Once got a London Embassy Longstay Visa ( 12 months) which I thought was Retirement but no actual conversion seen so maybe not, O or OA ?"

What you obtained was non O-A.

That visa is a multiple entry visa valid for one year and each time you enter you are stamped in for 12 months. Has insurance requirements. Can only be obtained in home country or country where you are a permanent resident.

Thanks Jack. I’m increasing my knowledge further with your kind help.
Agent said it was a “12 month Retirement visa non- extendable”. Marriage not raised. Multiple REP possible.  if I end up with 12+0 or conventional  3+ 12 deal or 12+ 12 for my 22k, that’ll be fine ! Will now visit again to get into this type & validity detail with them from your comments before committing on 5 May. ????